• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AWH

• brittman

• daddyducker

• gowhenyoucan

I dont think that it is the net. Word of mouth is worse. If people would just keep things quiet when the fishings good in a spot it would help their future fishing and save the fish from overharvest. I know this from experience cause I told a relative about a spot where I was catching 14 inch crappies and told them to keep it hush hush but now I have 15 shacks around me and the poor crappies got [PoorWordUsage]. Now the fish are gone. And so is my good spot because I couldn't shut my mouth. Well now I gotta start searching again. lesson learned. Some of these guys actually set up within 10 ft of me. Thats rude and small minded. Well good luck to those of you who go out and find your own honey holes and crappy luck to those who move in on others.

Doom and Gloom. Gull lake always gets pounded, perhaps more this winter than in years past. Ice pressure is really not that much compared with summer pressure though. You have guides all over that lake trying to put a limit of eaters in the boat every day, and tons of recreational fisherman every weekend, along with many people who come for their week up north who fish on their own and do well. Its only one of Minnesota's most popular recreation lakes.

Thats the reason the DNR supplements the natural walleye population... Recreational angling is big business. They will monitor the populations closely, and keep the lake filled with healthy walleyes.

I have been under the impression that the lake needed to weed out some of it's eater size fish anyway.

I just wish ice anglers were more consistent with their C&R practices, and the DNR cared about more than walleyes [and musky]. Its those big sows that I worry about.

The internet, and communities such as this, are wonderful things for the sport of angling. It allows us to gain much more knowledge than ever before. With knowledge does come more responsibility though.

I hate messages like this that encourage people to be tight lipped. When managed properly there are more than enough fish for us all to catch, especially in Gull lake.

WOW, What a bunch of [PoorWordUsage]. Gull is one of the best fishing lakes in the state and you think the www has to do with the people. Wrong, When people have the time to fish they go where they have the best chances. Now with gps and Sonar anyone can catch fish they don't need the internet. I have been fishing Gull my whole life and it is as good now as it was then. My thought is if you don't like it go somewhere else!

I would have to agree with REALTOWER. The more time I spend on this site the less time I spend out fishing. I live a few miles from Gull and fished it a few times this year but I never did that great. One thing I have learned about ice fishing is "Lots of people does not mean lots of fish!" I find this even more true in the late ice season when everybody is bunched in one area. Most of those people are there because they "heard" of a good bite. Most of those people are catching squat. Successful ice fisherman are successful because they know were to fish from previous experince and if they cant find the fish they go find the fish. Word of mouth and the net is great but is also old news. Fishing bites change from day to day.

I, for one, love this site. If I am not fishing atleast I can see whats going on in the area I live and areas around the state. It might be old news but its fun to read updates from people who were there.

If one thing is leading to overfishing these days I would say it all the new gagets on the market. I own a GPS, vexilar and all that other good [PoorWordUsage]. I would be almost lost without my GPS as I was not raised on most of the lakes I fish and am unfamiliar with them. Anybody with a few bucks can buy this stuff, watch a TV show and instantly become a better fisherman.

I have yet to read a post that says try these coordinates and you will hammer the fish. Most posting are just people talking to other people that share a common intrest. Who else would I talk to about fishing, my girlfriend!

"You have guides all over that lake trying to put a limit of eaters in the boat every day"

Why is it that guides get brought up all the time when talking about a lake getting pounded or somone feels the fish population getting low.

Yes im a guide on Gull. Yes I do put fish in the boat for my clients. Do we keep everything we catch? NO!!! Yes there are some people that want to keep some fish and thats there right. If I have 3 people in the boat and they want to keep some to eat,do I let my clients keep 3 limits? NO!!! I know its hard on the fishery and I wouldnt do that to any lake. Our groop of guides do all we can to C&R. Are there guides out there that will allow 3 clients to keep 3 limits. Probably. But its still there right. Clients pay us for a service and we do all we can to provide that service1

Maby you should change your post to "some guides" and not just "guides".

No, I'm not saying that at all.

The only thing is that I would say that the pressure from guides fishing every day is much more than 'the internet' factor.

I have no problems with guides, in fact I appreciate a good guide who teaches me how to fish a lake. In no way do I mean to deamonize guides in any way.

Sorry if it came across another way.

Also, sorry if guides get brought up all the time. But on lakes, like Gull, with significant number of guides and 'tourist fisherman' you can't dismiss the impact.

I find it funny that because some people can't catch fish every single minute of every time out or like they used to yesterday or years ago..... something other than their fishing approach, location or angling skills is to blame. Has the internet caused overfishing on some waters? Sure. Have all the gadgets from GPS to Flashers to fancy locators to auto pilot on trolling motors etc. leveled the playing field a bit? Sure. Bottom line is all most creatures in nature adapt as changes in their environment are made.....when deer are pressured in a certain area they move out or become nocturnal. When fish are pressured they become more finicky causing us to have to use new tactics whether it be downsizing or baits, slowing our presentations etc. Just because YOU aren't catching as many or as nice of fish doesn't mean the fishery has been destroyed.

As far as the side bar about guides causing harm to fisheries.... They are probably the best resource any and all of us have for information in the state. They are on the water every day. They know how the bite has been. What the hot baits are, how the fish are reacting. I also have to believe they are a great resource for the DNR in determining the status of a fishery and what needs to be done to improve/maintain it.

Has the internet done damage to some lakes...I'm sure it has, but so has Joe Schmoe saying, "I heard they are biting on Mud.... 15" crappies and 9" sunnies out by the island. My buddy said to use a green tear drop with a waxy, right next to the brown house with the broken window. About 16 feet of water." I guess we better make it illegal for fisherman to talk too.

OK, I am off my soap box now. Good fishin' everyone.

"WOW"!!

She's heatin' up in here!

Don't look 'em in the eyes and back up slowly...what ever you do, DON'T RUN!

he he he he

Sorry if I turned it into a heated discussion. I guess I just haven't seen the internet ever catch a fish. Nothing intended to anyone personally..... just getting fed up with everyone blaming great sites like this for them catching less or no fish.

I think that saying the internet has "ruined or impacted fishing" May have impacted peoples personal experiences on the lake ie; crowds, litter and noise but that maybe similar to saying "guns kill people" to me it's allways been "people kill people". Just like the sportsmen uneducated or other wise who cares nothing for the life of the lake that he or she fishes. I live on Lake Ida near monticello and 6 yrs ago 1 ice house took about 300-350 crappies out of the lake.(only 109 acres) did the internet impact the lake? I now just ignor this fella at the local cafe. The lake will take 10 years to recover. I always strike out on my own when I see crowds they actually help me in the process of where not to fish. as for electronics my fishing went from 40 mph to 100 mph in the time it took me to right the check for my vex. and has honed my skills as a fisherman and conservationist at the same time. In an effort not to go bleep'in crazy over some of the stuff I witness I always remember how small I really am.

I like what coach1310 had to say about using better techniues when the fishing gets tough. The strong will survive.

I think that technology, not only with electronics, has made the biggest impact. How about the equipment that makes ice fishing so comfortable that anyone can spend the night in their wheel house and be more comfortable there than at home. I think more and more anglers are willing to go out and tough the conditions than past years.

It seems that every where I go out on Gull there is a permenant house or signs that one was there. I don't think that the fishery is declining because of all the activity it's just not as easy for me or others to find untouched spots. But they are out there and I will continue to find them. If anything all the activity will make me a better fisherman because I have to search for new spots and try different theories or techniques that I may not have otherwise. Great topic.

Technology includes the Internet but improvements to electronics and equipment has played a much bigger role in my opinion.

Jamison you are absolutely correct... I have been fishing for a mighty long time and the changes that I have seen with regard to electronics and equipment are the big difference. Also, I think fisherman are much more informed today not only by the internet but also by the many wonderful publications that are available. I also think that many anglers do practice catch and release....more so today than in the not too distant past.

I am very fortunite to live on Gull lake and I fish it at least 3 - 4 times a week both in the summer and winter.. The fishery overall is in very good shape for Walleyes, Northern Pike, Bass, and pan fish... The DNR will need to continue to stock the lake heavily with Walleyes since many are caught and kept each year..

Key for all of us is to practice conservation...Nothing wrong with keeping a few smaller fish for the dinner table.. Let's all release the large fish in hopes that they will spawn and continue to produce natural fish in the fishery..

Do you have to have a license to guide? Is there a fee collected by the state from guides? If not and you are making a living off what taxpayers fund (stocking) aren't you receiving a form of Government Assistance ie welfare???? Just another way of looking at guide services---and I have used one.

IMHO, Guides out-produce for four big reasons.

1) Identifying the best spot on the spots

(location within location).

2) Being on the lakes everyday is a big plus - patterns!

3) Top Shelf Electronics

4) Boat Control!!!!!!!

guide or average Joe, if you can keep your boat over

the fish you will catch more fish. You can have 1, 2, and 3 but without boat control ...

Gull is one of the best lakes in the state. I only fish it 3 - 10 days per year. Somedays are better than others, but something is always biting ... Size of the fish are nice too.

With the number of resorts on the lake alone, there is no way the DNR would let the fisheries in the lake decline substantially. Madden's would have Holsten's head.

I think you need to appreciate the economics of it all.

Originally Posted By: Chode2235
With the number of resorts on the lake alone, there is no way the DNR would let the fisheries in the lake decline substantially.

Don't be so certain about that.

The DNR rearing ponds only have so many fish for stocking. A couple bad years for the ponds and there are limited number of fish for stocking.

The DNR has comprehensive plans for several lakes and I believe Gull Lake is one of them, If fish aren't available for stocking what do you think happens?

And yes, the DNR has reneged on stocking plans.

Good points, but the economics of the state and the Brainerd area will prevent them from letting the lake go.

Again, assuming your points completely valid (which I think they are), assuming the technology has caused even the casual angler to catch more fish, and coupled with the economic factors it shows the triviality of the 'internet factor'.

Granted, we as sportsmen and conservationists still need to be respectful of the great resources Gull lake has to offer. We should be debating on ways to better improve the fishing, best way to catch those fishes, rather than lambasting each other for 'catching my fish.'

The only point that I am trying to make is that blaming the internet for degradation in fishing is silly when considered in the context of much bigger issues affecting the lake.

If people are so sure that the lake is on its way down then why is no one pushing for a slot or special limit. At the end of the day it seems people want everyone else to cut back on the fish and only keep so much but not them. I think you need to ask your self what you can do like C.P.R or make your voice heard. I can say I have been on that lake a long time and it would not bother me if there was a slot or a spicial limit. Either way I will still keep fishing and still work hard to find the fish I want. What I wont do is sit at home and complain about how I can't catch fish because there is another guy out there trying to do the same.

Maddens and Craguns are not selling fishing. They sell golf, the lake and romantic get aways.

Number of boats going out in the morning (not including guides) is not more than a few.

RealTower, you make a good point. I have spoken with the DNR about the status of Gull and I share their opinion that the fishery is in great shape. I also believe that Gull is long overdue for some regulation changes. I wish that we had a 4 fish limit on Gull along with a protective slot of some sort. I love what they have had at Mille Lacs with the 20-28 inch protected slot. I think that would fit nicely on Gull. Would we see similar results as Mille Lacs? I really do not know since they are such completely different lakes in so many ways. But I think that it would be a step in the right direction. In regards to the main topic of this conversation I believe that success on our lakes over recent times are a better reflection of the changes in technology. It really is hard to find areas that have been unfished for any amount of time. With GPS and mapping chips structure is much easier to find and anyone can find it. An angler can now go to a spot and drill one hole exactly where they want to be. The searching aspect is gone. As far as guides go, there really aren't many out there in the winter. During the open water season there are quite a few. There are some good ones and some bad ones when it comes to conservation. I guess all we can do it try to teach people that Catch and Release does work. Hopefully the next generation will see the benefits.

Jason Erlandson

I agree with Jason on this one...and to add, I would say that due to the nature of the two lakes, the results would vary quite abit.

Mille Lacs= One big sand bowl with some mid-lake mud and good rock onshore for spawning.

Gull= In comparison, hugely diverse. Ups and downs in the structure...bars, drop offs, rocks, sand, sunken islands, and a good bit of river for spawn as well.

Furthermore, I do whole heartedly beleive that a slot is a very very good idea for Gull. I have put back some nice breeding stock but am just as guilty as others ( I'm sure) of keeping some breeders. A slot for the most part would keep those breeders going back in. There will always be those select few who think they are intitled to whatever they want but like most laws it keeps the honest honest.

I say cut the daily take and put a trophy slot into effect and you will see some serious fishing in five years. It can't hurt!

That should also let the DNR concentrate on other lakes, which in turn should create other good fisheries, which in turn will offer more fishing locations, thus, fewer concentrations of people on Gull and other lakes.

This brings up a point to me though; what about chain lakes such as Round?? Do the fish travel much between the two?

Do we slot that one too?

One more thing to add to this NOVEL.

Is anyone fishing between Quarterdeck and Sandy Point?

That break has always treated me well!

DADDYDUCKER. I have not fished between Quarterdeck and Sandy Point yet. Maybe I should try! However, I have fished several spots on Gull this year and have come up with nothing more than cigars. I have yet to keep a fish on Gull this year but I know it has to be an awesome lake. Just look at a map and anybody can see it has amazing potential.

That said, as a Brainered resident I feel Gull is in no danger of over-fishing. One post above said "The resorts are more for golf and romatic get-aways." I agree. Maybe fishing in the winter is heavier but in the summer I think Gull is a recreational lake. I have a 16ft fishing boat and have tried to boat around Gull in the summer and I almost get swamped by super duty speed boats that have never boated a fish in there life. I would not be against a slot limit or daily limit reduction but I think as more time goes by Gull will be dominated by PWC's and quater million dollar speed boats. Therfore, I think Gull will do nothing but improve as a fishing lake as long as you are out early enough before all the party people run you down!!!

Has anybody heard more about the musky stocking? In my opinion I would be against it. Read the Lybacks reprot on Mille Lacs. That guy has fished Mille Lacs for 40 years and he hates the muskie and I have to agree with him. Why mess with a good walleye lake? Maybe some dudes chasing the 53 incher will not agree with me but I think the lake should remain the way it is.

Quote:
Read the Lybacks reprot on Mille Lacs. That guy has fished Mille Lacs for 40 years and he hates the muskie and I have to agree with him.

hey late night can you post the Lyback report, I'm interested to see what he has to say, and I can't find it under the Mille Lacs forum? Also not a muskie fan, especially if they are NOT native to the lake. IMO why put them in Gull, there are plenty of opportunities in that area of the state, Mille Lacs, Leech and Alexander are not that far really, and there is the Mississippi river! Whats another 30-45 minutes of driving when your driving from the cities anyways... I just figure I drive 45 minutes just to get to a decent panfishing lake from where I live, so its no different.

Google Lybacks on Mille Lacs and click on his fishing and ice reports on the left hand side.