Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CatManLee

Pine Lake or other small lakes?

9 posts in this topic

Does anyone on this site fish Pine Lake through the ice or any other small lakes in the area between Maple Lake and Bemidji?

I'm thinking of trying Pine Lake or some of the smaller lakes this weekend for some Gills or Perch. I know Pine has some nice size Panfish...I've done well in the summer for 'em, but have never ice fished Pine Lake.

Any info on Ice thickness, roads(if any), do you need a snowmobile, etc, etc...would be appreciated.

Just looking to do something different, thanks for any feedback.

I think there is a bait shop in Gonvick that you could call. Also sportsman lodge on pine might have some info? Check for bait shop in Bagely and they might help you? Senior moment confused.gifso I can’t help with names or numbers.

Thanks, I forgot about Sportsman's, and guess I assumed the people at the bait shop in Gonvick wouldn't have much "1st hand info". It seems every time I'm in there they don't have to much info on the fishing, maybe I'm getting the wrong clerks?

Even without any road/ice reports, I think a friend and I are gonna try Pine Lake this weekend anyway. We'll bring the snowmobiles and be prepared to use them if need be, it's not that big a deal to tow them along...and as far as a "fishing Report", goes, finding the fish is half the fun anyways, right????

I'll post a report after this weekend. Talk at ya later.

I fished a small lake on Saturday between TRF and Bagley (I'm not gonna say the name of the lake) it's small and I don't want to get anyone mad for giving the name out.

Anyways here's my report...

Our group fished in 16'-19ft of water over flats (muddy bottom). Max depth of the lake is close to 60' with some weeds still standing in 10' of water and shallower. I myself started the day in 15' of water and didn't have much luck, so I moved deeper after about an hour of fishing. Drilled holes in about 17' of water and immediately started hammering big Bluegills on a small pink jig with a grub. The fish were biting so fast I could only really use one rod. I would watch the fish come in on the camera and set the hook as they took the bait. I wouldn't have caught nearly as many fish without the camera, they would spit it out instantly if the hook wasn't set right away, so the camera worked perfectly, the Vexilar wasn't of too much use, simply because you couldn't really feel the fish bite.

We fished up till dark and I didn't have any slow times, the fish just kept coming...I'm not sure how many fish I caught total, but it had to be close to a hundred! For a few hours straight I had a fish on atleast every couple minutes...WOW, what a blast.

Kept some for the table and released a whole bunch...

That's my report...I might be back to fish that lake again, and will probably try some other "little" lakes in that area. I'm sure many of those small lakes are just as good.

Talk to you later.

There are many great little lakes around that area fish a lot around the fosston area I think i know what lake your talking about but not going to say i've been fishing this area since i was very young always perduce great crappies and blues

Congrats on the good trip. grin.gif Any pictures?

How was the ice and snow conditions on the lake? I am looking at trying a couple smaller lakes this weekend by Mentor and Fosston and was wondering how most of those little lakes freeze.

Pictures...Nope! I don't take a lot of pictures when I'm ice fishing. It's just not as easy as summer, with people fishing in separate houses, etc...

As for ice/snow conditions...

This lake has had some vehicle traffic on it already, so travel on the lake wasn't an issue. Even where the snow was untouched it was very easy to get around with a vehicle. What little snow was there was hard as a rock and the rest had blown off the lake or towards shore. The ice was thick enough to drive on!!!??? I didn't measure the ice, but would guess it was 18"+??? I wouldn't say I would be confident driving anywhere with out checking the ice first, but it was pretty good where I was.

If your unsure of the ice thickness, I'd say walk out a ways and drill a hole to see? It's not that hard to do, and is a good way to make sure it's plenty thick before driving out.

All right thanks for the info. I don't get the chance to fish many bluegills, so I'd like to get into some nice ones while I'm going to school down here. Also looking at trying to tangle with a few decent pike once we get a little warmer weather.