Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gotfish

April Fishing

6 posts in this topic

I make it up to LOW a few times a year, but I have not been up there for late hard water season. Just wondering when ice fishing usually ends on average. If I booked a trip up there April 7, should I expect to be ice fishing? I know these questions are all dependent upon the weather, but just trying to set an expectation and if I should get excited about a trip up there that late in the season.

Thanks!

Usually good ice well into April, till mid month or so depending on just where and how the spring shapes up. Rather vague I know but I'd bet you won't have a problem April 7.

Every year is a tad different. A for instance....Then another.

Back in the late 90's we had a May opener where I loaded up auger and ice rods and took the kicker boat across the openwater on 4mile bay out into the gap and then we beached the boat on the ice sheet, drilled holes and had a fantstic day icefishing on the MN Walleye opener in 50 degree weather whilst 300 boats jockeyed for position in 4mile bay or the slice of openwater near the gap.

Probably my most memorable opener ever!!!

2 years ago a friend was able to boat all the way out to the S tip of Buffalo from Warroad on April 14th.

Regards.....fiskyknut

Since fish houses need to be off by April 1 (I think), do resorts still offer fishing packages of some kind or what's the best way to fish at this time from April 1 to 14?

Yepper March 31 is the date for perms off on these border waters. You can still do/set portables here as long as the season is open, legal hours are from 1hr before sunrise till midnite, so ones good on them Walters till the 14th anyhows.

As for what your resort will do?? I'd imagine they'll be setting you up in a 'portable' hut. Now this would'nt nessecarily be a small fabric portable as a wheel or skid hut is quite portable when one has the means to haul it on and off within the fishing times allowed.

Check with your operator and they'll give you the skinny eh.

As for "whats the best way to fish"?....In my book sitting out on a bucket with temps about 33 degrees and sunshine is a nice way to get r done!!!

Man oh man that time of season is darn good for catching them BIG girls.....The Prespawn pile up.....You should have a great time barring any nasty weather phenomenons!!!

2 years ago we fished Arnesen's Reef on April 7th and it was 70 degrees. We filled out by noon. There were about 10 other people out there and they all had a very hard time getting back in later that day. 4-wheelers were breaking through the slush all the way in. Last year, same timeframe, it was 5 below zero. We did good then too...

last yr we fished the last day of walleye season out on the big pond.we headed out of graceton and started fishing from there.is was so foggy we couldnt see 5 feet in front of our 4wheelers.we also head to the river we fished there but only caught small 1's.and wow all the morons out there had pick up trucks.the ice was realy bad when i drilled a hole it was 10 inches wide on the top and 3 feet wide on the bottom all ice chunks and ppl had there trucks out there.so once the fog lifted around 1 pm we headed to zipple bay and man what a great time 4 ppl we limited out with walleyes and saugers in about 40 mins.cant wait till late ice.and thank god we had our lowrance gps that day.