Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
perch_lips

Long Lake

8 posts in this topic

Heading up to Long Lake near Glen for the weekend. Anybody have any info or general locations for some panfish/walleyes? Friend has a cabin on the north end by the access. Have fished it a couple times before in the winter and have got a few pike on tip-ups, but nothing too special. Any info would be great, will post when I get back.

I've been up there a couple of times and got a few pike, as well as a few bass. Last time I fished there was some terrible wind, had to build snow walls around the tip-ups to try to keep them from getting snowed in. Was fishing west of the deep hole. Sound familiar?

Long Lake was a former Granite Quarry back in the early 19th century. They dug down and hit water and flooded the quarry. The water is deep and very clear. I have fished it for years but have not had a lot of luck there. There are a few crappies and some sunfish and yeah you can pick up a northern or two. Every once in awhile you can even find a walleye by some miracle??

A better option for walleyes is Dam lake across the road from Long Lake. Abpout 5 years ago the DNR stocked Dam with walleyes and it is now starting to produce some nice catches. I posted about Dam back in December when someone asked me about it.

I have a friend who lives on the Dam Lake year round and as my parents have a cottage on Clear Lake at Glen I stopped by from fishing panfish on Clear. My friend said they were catching walleyes off the point on the South side of the lake near the resort there in about 25-35 FOW. Dam also has good size crappies, sunfish and decent size perch.

GO ahead and try Long if you want. Who knows you might have good luck. There is a whole in Long that is over 100 feet deep. I never understood why if it has holes like that the DNR never stocked it with Lakers? But then I never understood the DNR anyway. Good Luck! Tignt Lines.

Thanks for the info UncleKes, I'm going to be up there with Perch Lips this weekend, and I'm sure we'll hit up Dam after your info. We'll be sure to post how we did.

Thanks again!

If you like big gills the north west side in nine to twelve fow 4am till the sun hits the trees then their gone. This spot is on dam also.

Well we tried to hit up Dam on Friday night, but got there a little later than expected and didn't really have enough time to explore and find anything. We set up off the point by the resort, and just couldn't find the right spot with such big changes in the depth. Tried our luck on Saturday morning on Long Lake to no avail, and Saturday afternoon hit Lilly Lake between Dam and Long and found a couple of gills and hammer handle pike. All in all a fun trip, but nothing noteworthy in the fishing department. Thanks for the tips farmfishing and UncleKes.

Sorry you had such a miserable trip, Snoot! I would NOT give up on Dam Lake though. There are a couple of other nice places up in that area I can let you know about. Email me at UncleKes@comcast.net and I will let you know.

Tight lines!

UncleKes

Have spent a lot of time on long lake in the past. Even had a fish house out in front of the landing just a few years ago. There is decent tip up fishing around the landing for pike. Plenty of hammer handles to go around. Need to look around the deeper water for crappies. We used to do good out on the main part of the lake. Just need to get the mercom out at look around for schools of fish. I wouldnt even drill a hole until you can see them on the flasher.

Dam lake has plenty of crappies also. You are going to sort threw a lot of small ones. Dam is very good for pike fishing but again most are hammer handles.

Lily used to be a good pan fish lake. Most likely still is as it does not seem to see much pressure. I may be up on long lake next weekend looking for crappies.