Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mike Stark

Polar HT Rods In Ely?

18 posts in this topic

great outdoors...you got them??

does babes have them??

thanks for the help.

mike

Yup, we have the HT rods.

Don't remember which ones exactly, give me a call today and I can let you know more.

Babes carries em too.

If your looking for the HT Laker style rod let me know what ya want (Baitcaster or spinning) and Ill look in Duluth. I think I saw 1 at Marine General and I think Gander always has a few.

E-mail me if you want and I can bring what I find to the Bash on Friday/Sat.

As of 3pm today Gander in Duluth had 6 baitcasters and a ton of the spinning. $16 I think they were.

You can get Polar HT rods in a lot of places in Ely.

But the rod Mike's asking about is from another thread about lakers. The style number of that laker rod is the Polar Lite series PL-34H.

No one carries it in Ely, as far as I've seen, and I generally keep my eye out for that rod. I know G.O. is trying to order some.

Steve,

Just got off the phone, should have 12 of the Polar Lite 34" heavy (spinning reel, no bait cast) here either tomorrow or Wednesday.

At least they had them, and one other(Polar Lite 28 inch m/heavy with same style handle as your's)

Wasn't so lucky on the other two styles, all gone:(

Thanks, Jim. That medium heavy, slightly shorter and lighter action than the heavy, is also a really nice laker rod for anyone on a budget.

Gander in Duluth has both the baitcaster and spinning rods but are the blue and white with the metal guides not ceramic. I think they are pretty much the same though.

Steve, sorry, but they are not similar. Two quite different series of rods.

Ya I looked at the pic again and your right. These ones would be fine for laker beginers though. I think HT discontinued the one you have? At least I couldnt find it in the catalog.

Steve, HT still makes the Polar Lites series. Or, well, at least wholesalers still have some. Great Outdoors just ordered some. The older blue broomstick series rods are still pretty popular with some laker old-timers and others up here.

Thanks to GO:

I was in your store with my brother-in-law looking for a new rod and some advice. We got both at a great price. Hooked into a monster on Sunday on B-side. Although it gave my tackle, my new rod and my wrist a workout we were able to get it to the hole but not through before my Dokter (sp?) let go. Didn't even pay attention to my frozen left toe for 10-15 minutes.

Just wanted you to know your advice paid off and I appreciated the time you took with us.

Looking forward to more laker fishing. And warmer temps!

Thanks,

D

BHome, welcome to FM. Great to have you here. grin.gifgrin.gif

Glad you got good advice from G.O. and got on a nice fish. Did you get any kind of look at it?

BHomeL8er,

Thanks for the kind words!

What part of Burntside were you fishing??

We went to left from Van Vac (sp?) landing. Didn't walk real far due to the windchill. My brother-in-law got a nice look at it and the normally calm and cool gave me a holy-___! I did not get to see it as we were in a small fish house and I was afraid to move too much. He said it was 24" minimum and when he got a look from the side, definately not on the South Beach Diet. Starting to sound like one of those fish stories, but as I look out of my Minneapolis office window, I can't quit thinking about how fun it was. This might save me a long trek into Tuscarora in the spring. Hopefully, another B-side trip!

I am happy it's still out there for another to catch.

Thanks again,

Dan

I was out there on Sunday too, BHomeL8er, but I walked the other direction off Van Vac. Decent laker water all along that south shore from Camp Van Vac to the narrows when it's too much hassle to drive all over the lake.

Fat lakers from 24-30 inches are pretty common all over Burntside, and they'll put up a whale of a tussle.

st:

Is estimating a lakers weight by her length (like we do with Walleye) difficult? I know this fish was bigger than any freshwater fish I have caught and it is difficult when I didn't even get it through the hole but of course I am curious about weight.

It's no easier or harder. Some Bside lakers are pretty lean, while others are like footballs. A 24-incher probably averages 4-5 pounds, I'd guess.

They definitely look bigger in the water when you see them down the hole than they are on the ice. A 5 on the ice looks like a 10 when you see it below the hole. It's also easier to overestimate size while they're still in the water because they fight so much harder than any other fish their size through the ice.