• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Just wanted to get some thoughts on what you guys consider your "go to"/favorite lures, jigs, baits, etc. for open water. Lakes or Rivers.

Spring into Summer:

1. Jig and Leech/Minnow

2. Lindy Rig and Leech/Minnow

3. Beetle Spin and Minnow

4. Crank Bait

5. Jig and Plastic

6. Blade Bait

Summer:

1. Crank Bait

2. Jig and Plastic

3. Corkin'

4. Blade Bait

5. Crank Bait again...

Fall:

1. Same as "spring into summer" except reverse the priority.

I'm not a pro like Jamison, but in the past, when I used to fish a LOT, I had favorite, "go-to" baits for fishing bass. I suspect that as I'm fishing more, this will not change. Jig worm - hand's down. 1/8 to 1/4 oz black mushroom jig head with any color 6 inch plastic worm - as long as it's purple and a Berkley powerbait. I loved this bait to get a sense of what the lake is doing.

When fishing walleye - I loved to lindy rig - lots of fun, and productive. I also loved to fish Shad Raps and spinner rigs when I would take out people who didn't fish as much (which has been me the past couple years)

When fishing for camp meat - enough for a fish fry on vacation for 20 plus people - many, whom only fish 1 week a year (on vacation) - I tie on Rattlin' Raps, find the nearest weedline and hang on. That usually puts some fish in the basket. I have baskets full in my garage.

depending on what kind of water you are on, really sets the variance I think. In extreme Southern Minnesota, our flat mudholes really spank the cranks, pretty much all season, but note presentation.... speed is everything. Start slllloooooooowwwww and gradually build speed during summer, the back it down again and cast come fall. And my favorite of the year is the slow bottom drag of a jig and minnow as slow as you can go.

Hit some structure and I need lessons!

hey there jclay just seeing if we could meet up someday and go on a fishing date. ps call me if we have to plow snow

Thanks but I'm far from a "pro".

Note: my "list" is for walleyes only. Anything else, well, then my list would be a lot shorter, only to probably include a lawn chair and cooler.

Sunnies, Crappies, & Perch:

- Jig, 1 1/2" tube, wax worms

Walleyes:

- Lindy Rig & Leach/Minnow

Northern:

- Same as walleye, but on a wire leader :-)

Bass:

- the only decent bass I've caught came through the ice on my panfish setup...