• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Weekend update

mike morris

We've definitely had better trips to URL!

I'm confident the temperature never reached above zero. We only caught three walleyes in two days of fishing. Quite an expensive trip to only bring home two fillets. blush.gif

The past few days of high winds, pressure changes and very cold temps have humbled all of us. \:\(

Well I am still here waiting for the fishing to improve. Thanks Kelly for plowing my house out and pulling my truck out also on Friday. I have the black lab and was wearing the blue bomber hat. You saved me a lot of work for an old man. And no charge. Makes the access pass a great deal. ON other roads when I needed a plow they were hard to get the attention of and didn't really want to help. You came over when you saw me wave. Thanks again.

hey all... we were up from friday nite til sunday around 10 am. we caught 25 walleyes, cupla perch and one small northern.. way too cold to b in a portable, hope all stayed warm. all in all, it seemed nite bite was on. one northern took my rod down the hole, but i caught it on the rattle reel about 20 minutes later, rod and all!!!

I am still dragging even after a good night rest. Got back yesterday about noon and had to carry in wood for an hour. mad.gif

There was 13 of us up with Jonny P and we had a great time and caught lots of fish considering the temp and everything else that was slapping us in the face. We arrived on Thursday around noon and then the guys starting showing up. I put on 140 miles just driving on the lake. crazy.gif Lots were to the bathroom, shore, and to visit others in their house. Anyways, we ended up with 100 walleyes, 20 crappies, 2 northern and one perch. Jonny caught a coffee lid, and missed one also. Man do they jump in the holes! whistle.gif

Best day of fishing was Thursday afternoon- Friday afternoon. Then it shut down with a few here and there. Every night we had a rattle reel run at 2 am and 4 am. Caught some crappies and walleye's at both times.

I had a great test for my new furnace in the fish house. It ran every 20 min, but it was always 70 degrees and sunny in the house.

Great time, lots of stories, and lots of 2 dollar bills.

PS Jonny- What are you going to do with those 2 dollar bills???? grin.gif

6 of us spent the weekend in a Hillmans sleeper. Ended up with 6 walleye, 1 crappie, and a nice 31" pike. We hoped for a little more steady action for 2 days on the ice, but we still had a great first trip to Red.

Originally Posted By: woodman

PS Jonny- What are you going to do with those 2 dollar bills???? grin.gif

I'm gonna save em up and buy a BMW off a unemployed guy. \:D

Jimmy and his two dollar bills, he is now known as "two buck". grin.gif

We were also in an Jonny P fish house not too far from Woodman. We did well. Not the greateset weekend as far as fishing goes but far from bad. We would have done better but Bob kept running for shore. grin.gif

Quote:
PS Jonny- What are you going to do with those 2 dollar bills????

Or you can use em' at the "Big Bog Strip Club"... just up the road about 10 miles ;\)grin.gif hehehe

The truck was warmed up (heck it ran almost the entire weekend) so Jonny and I went on a little ride and I finally got to meet Woodman and his gaggle, Boilerguy and his crew and Harry and Lloyd.

It was COLD! no doubt about it. But as usual it was a fantastic time. I think our group of 8 ended up with 14 walleye and 4 crappie. Not bad considering the conditions. Lots of short walleye which bodes well for the future of this amazing fishery.

Hillman's road is top notch, it's so cleared of snow that that when you're diving on it at night, the ice looks like asphalt. The amount of time and work Buddy, Kelly, Jonny and Pat invest on that road really shows. Getting off the road may be tough for some, but I'll give those who seriously ice fish a little tip... save your nickels and buy some Bridgestone Blizzaks... HOLY CRIPES! I was pulling my 23' wheel house off road no problem... went a good 200 yards with it. No way, No how could I have done that even when my Revo's were new. They are amazing... now I know why Kelly prefers these over studded tires.

Got into Tall Tales Saloon Friday night to see Buddy, Dean and Arlie... boy does that BBQ smell good! Too bad we just ate dinner, I almost still ordered some up just to taste it. Saturday we went to Tall Tails and then on to Westwinds. It was good seeing Tim, Barb and Kevin... they are dong well fishing especially on Walleye.

All in all another great weekend in the books! Nothing broke(!), but we also didn't get as much done to the houses as we wanted with the weather. Will be back up in a couple weeks to catch a few more Red Lake beauties and dig into some BBQ!

Good Luck!

Ken

No problem minndonn. It looked like things hadn't gone quite like you planned and the way the weekend was going I was pretty sure you weren't waving to tell people that you had found a hot bite. grin.gif

Originally Posted By: LABS4ME
 Quote:

Or you can use em' at the "Big Bog Strip Club"... just up the road about 10 miles ;\)grin.gif hehehe

The truck was warmed up (heck it ran almost the entire weekend) so Jonny and I went on a little ride and I finally got to meet Woodman and his gaggle, Boilerguy and his crew and Harry and Lloyd.

It was COLD! no doubt about it. But as usual it was a fantastic time. I think our group of 8 ended up with 14 walleye and 4 crappie. Not bad considering the conditions. Lots of short walleye which bodes well for the future of this amazing fishery.

Hillman's road is top notch, it's so cleared of snow that that when you're diving on it at night, the ice looks like asphalt. The amount of time and work Buddy, Kelly, Jonny and Pat invest on that road really shows. Getting off the road may be tough for some, but I'll give those who seriously ice fish a little tip... save your nickels and buy some Bridgestone Blizzaks... HOLY CRIPES! I was pulling my 23' wheel house off road no problem... went a good 200 yards with it. No way, No how could I have done that even when my Revo's were new. They are amazing... now I know why Kelly prefers these over studded tires.

Got into Tall Tales Saloon Friday night to see Buddy, Dean and Arlie... boy does that BBQ smell good! Too bad we just ate dinner, I almost still ordered some up just to taste it. Saturday we went to Tall Tails and then on to Westwinds. It was good seeing Tim, Barb and Kevin... they are dong well fishing especially on Walleye.

All in all another great weekend in the books! Nothing broke(!), but we also didn't get as much done to the houses as we wanted with the weather. Will be back up in a couple weeks to catch a few more Red Lake beauties and dig into some BBQ!

Good Luck!

Ken

J

Quote:

Good Luck!

Ken

Nothing broke! Just one bruse

Quote:

Good Luck!

Ken

Nothing broke(!)

There were four of us in Hillman's sleeper over the weekend around 6.2 miles out. We pulled in 40 walleyes, northern and a few perch. Not bad considering the conditions. All of the walleyes were pretty much in the 16" range which was very nice. It seemed a glow white perch eye was about the best. We even hit some vertifcal jigging. They seemed to be hugging the bottoms as well.

If you rent a sleeper with an unforgettable fart smell, that was our shack.

I would say that half of our fish were pulled in using a plain red hook. With all the tackle I brought for the gang, a plain red hook was the ticket! \:\/ I was pounding the bottom with a Buckshot Rattle spoon which would attract the fish then they would hit the dead stick. Fatheads, sucker minnows and crappie minnows were used as bait. We had to have the bait about 3 inches from the bottom in order to get them to bite. cry.gif

Way to go Scott, thats the best Crappie report Ive heard this year! Did you get and over 15"?

We had 6 of us in 2 wheelhouses out of Hillman's road. Got there on Friday arounf 4:00 and left Monday morning first thing. We thought the fishing was good. There were some long runs of nothing, but overall we can't complain at all. Our house caught 43 fish (4 Perch, 4 Crappies, rest Walleye). The other house caught about 56 fish (1 crappie, 1 small northern, rest Walleye). Plain red hook and Red glow Frostie was the key for us. My house had a bunch of non experienced walleye fisherman (including myself) we must have had a %60 catch ratio. So we could have easily had over 50 fish.

Thanks to Hillman's for having such a great road to get out on!!! And for having the football game on Sunday afternoon, it was a good break for us.

The biggest was 14 3/4. Man was that new furnace a life saver that you installed for us! grin.gif Worked great and it was always 70 and sunny inside!

Same thing happened to me two years ago only with a walleye my rod went down first then rattle reel then caught all with another rod later with waleye all tangled up in the mess. Red was sure cold place to be went out of Morts on south side stayed in house Fri-Sat-Sun 13 Walleye 5 of which we were able to keep No Perch Northern or Crappie Guys in house near us brought in two crappies only ones I heard of around us for weekend. Did best fri afternoon and sunday evening saturday was terrible. Ok weekend for the temperature we endured.

Went up sat sun mon 2miles out of rogers with Outdoor Authority Dave and jeremy run it.House we wanted the heater was down so they upgraded us to bigger house.Much appreciated. As for the fishing red hooks plain and jighead with red hook worked the best pulled in 7 walleyes 2 perch 1 14inch crappie and one pike.had camera down and eyes were hugging the bottom what a tough bite for the first trip up.Monday we went mobile run and gunning with sleds still hard to get on the fish.hospitality of locals and of dave and his brother danny of outdoor authority really good but they cant catch you're fish or make them bite.Dont know if a return trip is in order as i can do the same on mille lacs with a much shorter drive

I'm afraid it was just a bad weekend overall. Don't judge URL on a terrible weekend like last. That was by far my worst fishing experience on that lake. It will get better, and I guarantee it.

First time up to Red in about 3 years. Fished Sunday from about 3:30 until 11:00 PM and then in the morning from about 7 until 10 AM. I had my new Marcum camera. Trying it out for the first time. There were three of us and we not only didn't get any fish, but we didn't get a bite and I didn't see anything but my own minnow on my camera. We used the same colored hooks, rattle spoons, etc as the other posts that I've read, but just had no luck. -- Any suggestions for 3 fishermen that are down, but not out.

First time up to Red in about 3 years. Fished Sunday from about 3:30 until 11:00 PM and then in the morning from about 7 until 10 AM. I had my new Marcum camera. Trying it out for the first time. There were three of us and we not only didn't get any fish, but we didn't get a bite and I didn't see anything but my own minnow on my camera. We used the same colored hooks, rattle spoons, etc as the other posts that I've read, but just had no luck. -- Any suggestions for 3 fishermen that are down, but not out.

wow, sry about non productive trip. where did you go out of and how far? how deep?

Weather maybe a factor. Sounds like the bite hasn't been very good yet for many.

We were out of Rogers on the south shore. We were in about 14 feet of water. I just read a couple of posts that were in about the same area that we were in and their luck sounded about the same as ours. I don't know what the difference was where we were. Anybody else that fished the south shore with any luck last weekend?

No problem Scott, thats the slickest fish house heater I have seen yet, and I bet its pretty good on fuel too.

I had a buddy that was 6 miles out of Hillmans, it was slower than normal, fish were caught (no Crappies), but at around midnight on Sat a rattle reel went down (Walleye), so he dropped a spoon for about 15 minutes or more it was nonstop Walleyes. Everyone else was sawing logs \:\)