Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Steve Foss

Do you tip your laker lures?

12 posts in this topic

Hey all:

Since I started winter laker fishing lo those six years ago, I've been tipping all my jigging lures with a minnow head or a piece of cut cisco.

Most laker takers I know do the same thing.

The theory being, of course, that the little added smell/taste of something fishy makes the fish more likely to bite.

I'm starting to rethink that. My reasoning is that some lures, like the chubby darter I was using today, really get their action ruined by even a small chunk of bait on one of the hooks. Tipping spoons doesn't affect them on the jig, but quite a few spoons don't have as nice a sideways falling flutter with meat attached. Jigging Rap action, as far as I can tell, isn't affected by tipping.

Starting mid season last year I quit tipping some lures whose sweet action was compromised by the meat, and I didn't notice any fewer fish on the untipped lures. The chubby darter I caught my laker on today also was untipped.

I'm interested in whether you all tip all the time, none of the time and part of the time. And why.

I mean, not having to cut up slices of cisco/smelt or bring live minnows for pinched-off minnow heads would simplify things, and the longer I do this, the more interested I am in simplification.

Steve good topic.

I tip my lures.

What I've seen is when a Laker comes in hard and fast they could care less if that lure is tipped. In fact I've played cat & mouse on lakers working them off the bottom and eventually just under the ice. To my horror I watched as half a minnow fell off when a laker came in and swatted. I continued the action anyway and the laker returned a did the smack down on the bare jig.

There are those times when a Laker comes in slow, takes a couple passes though and then takes the lure. I've convinced myself the tipped lure made the difference there.

A lot of laker fishing boils down to being confident on what your using and that persistence will prevail. A half a minnow sure helps me.

If you put a real skinny and small peice of smelt on the tail of a Chubby Darter it gives it a little more flash. Granted yes it wont wiggle as hard but there is more to wiggle.

Capt., Does that mean it's a more desirable presentation cause it's got more junk in its trunk? Sorry! Couldn't resist! \:D

I knew some one was going to go there! grin.gif

Duhhhhhh. Mack truck could have drove in that one.

I never tip lures or jigs with anything. Either those trout will fly up and smack it hard, or, I will raise them up into my sight and play some fun games with the finicky ones until I see them take a little nibble at it-then Whammo!! I set the hook!!

Justin

I always tip them. Not only that, but I like a little added scent when fishing trout or salmon. I've experimented on Superior with scented versus non-scented and have seen a more positive result with the scented. BC

BC what scents are ya using? I find the bass scents seem to be better than the trout or walleye scents. What have you found?

Northlander, WD-40 was a favorite of mine waaaay back when. I now use a specific Trout & Salmon scent. Seems to make a difference for me. I like to clean all my lures before hand and also use the non scented biodegradable soap on my hands while trolling in the boat. All in all I believe masking the human smells makes the difference. On Lake Superior I seem to always have gas, oil, grease on my hands before the ride out. Using the soap and then scents has worked well for me. I am in the begining phases of trying said tactics for winter fishing. Stay tuned! BC

BC you sound a lot like me when it comes to the scent thing. I always pinch my minnow heads off for jigging so that is the scent I have on my hands. I like to handle a couple of fish and get there scent on my hands and I always have some bio soap with in the tackle box winter and summer. A little secret sauce too grin.gif

Quote:
I now use a specific Trout & Salmon scent.

Wouldn't want to shoot me an email would you BC? ;\)