Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Drake

Who Braved the Elements?

4 posts in this topic

So who braved the elements over the weekend and hit the ice up here? With temperatures way below zero (quit looking after it got to 20 below), we decided we were lucky to be able to live up here and pick and choose our days on the ice! (Warm up coming in and they are predicting 20 for next weekend)

Several fishermen and women up taking advantage of the long weekend and they have been hitting the ice from early morning until the evening hours. Friday was a great day for all, with one large group of anglers hitting a couple of the smaller lakes in the area and saying that even though they didn't limit out on sunfish they did very well, talked to another group of four who hit the deeper waters of Blackduck and they limited on some jumbo perch, another goup stayed more in the 14-18' depths and reeled in a couple of good size pike and a couple of walleye (perch bite is better in the 20-22' depths) while others headed to Upper Red and said they were kept busy with walleyes, so plenty of fish fry's going on Friday night. Saturday things weren't as good, with the bite slowing down on all the different lakes, at least for our guests, with anglers saying the change in the pressure seemed to really slow things down. So far today only a couple of guys have made it back from fishing one of the smaller lakes and just took their picture with their sunfish, so hopefully today will be better for everyone else also.

I hit the lakes over the weekend with pretty good luck. Kept enough friday for a meal for myself and filled out on nice crappies yesterday with a few nice sunnies and a couple of small northerns as well. It took most of the afternoon to catch the fish since I didnt go chasing them around because of the cold.

We made it out to Red for 3 days... man was it cold!

If I lived up there, you can bet that I'd probably pick better days to fish also!!!

Good Luck!

Ken

Spent 4 days on Red with 13 guys and man was it cold, but what a great time fishing and being with friends. \:D Posted results in the Red Lake Forum.