• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

piddle on the floor...

Trick

I just got an 8 yr old german shorthair a few months ago & he was supposed to be fully house trained. He is a very smart & obedient fella....maybe a lil too smart! He will not pee in the house if there is someone inside with him, but if I leave & come back in a couple hours, he will have peed on the rug in front of the door. Its like he is trying to get even with me for leaving him behind! I know that putting him in his crate when I leave would fix the problem, but does anyone else have any other ideas so I dont have to do that? Its tough to try to correct him for something that you cant catch him doing. Thank you,

Trick

One of the big things to do is get the smell of his urine off the rug. This won't fix the problem, but it will help. Some dogs urinate in the same place out of habit. Getting the smell out will help solve the problem.

You can buy stuff at pet stores for this.

Thanks Boilerguy,

I did go over the area several times with a rug doctor right after I discovered it. I let him have the run of the house all night after i go to bed & he doesnt bother a bit...its just when I leave him at home for a while. I have been putting him in his crate when I leave (which he doesnt seem to mind), but I just wish there was a way to correct him so I wouldnt have to feel guilty when i have to leave the house without him for a while.

Trick

Why do you feel guilty about the crate? As long as you don't make the crate a negative place then he won't mind taking a snooze in it while you are gone. Most dogs sleep a majority of the day anyways so why not let him sleep in his crate?

This is true. The crate is a happy place.

I understand wanting to let your dog cruise around and stretch his legs, but sometimes the crate is the thing to do.

I know what you're saying. I would just feel better if I could let him roam so he can look out the windows or play with his toys or just be somewhat active. I gave him the test again today...I left for about 20 minutes & came home to find pee on the door again, so I guess from now on he will be spending some time in his crate. He is fine with being in there most of the time & naps in there on & off all day anyway. He just whines a lil bit when I first close the door which makes me feel a lil guilty, but I guess thats just the way it'll have to be. Thanks for your input TRITC.

Our 8y/o springer is always in the crate when we are not home. he is 65 lbs and would sleep on the kitchen table when we were gone and the garbage was his playground. Since crating him, all problems gone and he is ok with that. Now we have a 3 month old springer and she has learned real quick that her crate is her friend when we are sleeping and not home.

Trick

This is the best stuff for dog mistakes (Nature's Miracle Stain & Odor Remover) You can go over 20 times with carpet cleaner and the scent is still there. My Lab darn near runs through the back of the kennel when I say kennel. Of course he gets a treat. When I get home and let him out he is happy I am happy and for a walk we go...Good luck

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.