Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
vegas

Building a fish house

12 posts in this topic

I would like to build my own fish house, but need some resources. I can find whole trailers, but would like to build from the ground up. It would be the best of both worlds if a fella could make something that was collapsible, at least part way, but still sleep in it with the family, or the "fellas". Any help would be appreciated.

What exactly are you looking to build...that is, what materials are you looking for, and are you going to do it yourself?

Are you going to revamp a trailer, start with something already designed for a fish house setup, or you looking to build something on skids?

I would say NO to the collapsable part though myself.

Sorry, I should of been more specific. I am talking about a wheel house. of some type. Materials, I am open to anything, same with trailers. Right now the only thing I know for sure is that it needs to be big enough for my family of five to go ice ishing together.

Say vegas, I did some research last year and found that it's almost as cheap to buy a crankdown trailer and start there than to build your own trailer from scratch. I found some reasonably priced trailers over in the Millaca area. Not sure if you were looking to weld a trailer together or not but the materials aren't that cheap by themselves. And then you have to factor in the time to build a trailer. Getting it done accuratly may pose another problem as well.

vegas,

I built mine from the ground up got the steel from l&m steel for the trailer, aluminum siding from l&m toungue and groove pine from the sawmill in pine river. they are a lot of work but it all depends on how nice you want it. i have around 5,000.00 in mine could have gotten by cheaper but wanted it nice because i don't want to build another one. mine is 6'10'' wide and 14.5' long with a v front which is nice when pulling long distances. if your gonna build one just drive around and look at some to get some ideas.

How much did you spend on the steel? What size and gauge did you use? I have been wanting to build on myself...the retractable trailer posses some problems. Just wondering how much cheaper it would be to build the trailer than the just buy one.

i have a little over 1000.00 in the trailer with tires and a jack on the front. i don't know for sure what gauge it is but i could find that out. building one or buying one? i built mine so i know what i got and i didn't chince on the metal. that way you will never have problems. let me know if you want to take a look at it.

tengauge

A good trailer is going to cost around $1500-2000 or so for something in the 6'6"x15' with a v-front. Now, for a family of 5, I'm not sure that is big enough. You want to be able to fish 2 holes each or just 1? Cause then size, hole design and floor design make a difference. If 10guage has a $1000 in the trailer itself, I would go buy one. I would actually start looking for steel elsewhere, too. We just built one as the size above and we had $800 and that was winches, tires, axles, steel, everything. Maybe steel is higher in the northern part of the state \:\)

Building one yourself is tricky because you HAVE TO be able to balance them out so they pull well down the road!!! If you don't...Well, you have a nice big shack that goes about 20MPH down the road.

Buying a pre-built frame- you are getting that.

Check out fishhousesupply.com

check out sportmans fishhouses. i bought a 18' shell from them in december and finished it myself. i built it camper style with 44" wide dinette that collapses for a bed big enough for two and also a fixed bunk above it that ive had 3 kids sleeping on. the problem in most of the manufactured houses is head clearance. i had tim make my walls 7' so i have 8'10" in middle. being 6'4" i am still able to have just enough clearance for a ceiling fan even after i built a insulated floor over the main floor. im also able to keep the bunks fixed and have plenty of head space when sitting in the back dinette. vegas, i see you live in brainerd too, so if you want let me know and come take a look

Your house sounds nice, I would very much like to see it in person. It sounds like I would be better off buying at least the trailer. I have talked to 3 different welding shops and they have all told me that they could not weld up on for me for less than buying a trailer already done. E-mail me and maybe we can set up something. papaduckys@yahoo.com

thanks

Vegas