Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bmc

Big Trout Lake by Wabana?

11 posts in this topic

I was talking to one of our local CO's tonight and he said he heard of a big laker or splake coming out of Big Trout. I thought the DNR was quitting stocking trout in this lake and it was turning more into a walleye/bass/northern lake? So who caught it and how big was it? I've tried downrigging out there a time or two, but caught more suspended smallies than trout. May have to try it yet this winter.

Brian

Brian,

A friend of mine was out there 2 winters ago and iced a 13. I have fished 2x since and only lookers. Wanting to get out there this year as other area lakes are getting hit hard. Also they fished it in summer and had a couple of hookups but didn't land anythign

A buddy of mine iced a 16 out of there 2 years ago to and usually average 1 fish per trip. This lake has alot of structure. They have stopped stocking only because there is a strong number of trout in there.

This little bit of talk has me thinkin FISH ON. Going to try it on saturday, or maybe the talk of 22 above temps!!!......

Do you access the lake from the N side? Was gonna go out there last weekend, but my buddies wheeler wouldn't start. haven't been on the lake before.

That is where most people access from, its not much of an access and hopefully you can park on the ice. parking is limited to the road.

How do you access Bluewater?

Thanks!!

There's an access on the north side of the lake by the bible camp. I'm not sure if it's public or private but that's the one everyone uses and I've never heard anyone complain about it. I've never had luck on Bluewater w/ laker's. I know they do get some nice one's out of there though and I've heard rumor of a couple monsters in there. I usually go to Caribou, but have never caught anything over 3-4lbs there. I need to invest in a snowmobile or atv to open up my horizons. LOL

Brian

Dustin,

Nice to see you on the forums, I thought you went into hibernation after duck season! LOL

Brian

No hibernation for me Brain, have been doing plenty of fishing. I've come frequently, mostly just lurk though.

What about Wabana? Any activity over there?