• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Harriet

Hi,

I have never fished this lake before and thinking about trying my luck at some walleye and was wondering if anyone here has ever fished it? If so what would be the area to look for them, what baits do you like to use and when would be the best time to go?

Thanks Kruger

West side of the lake on an inside turn in about 15 to 25 fow. for me early morning or late evening just before the sun hits the tree tops into the night. Check out the rest of the forum for what other people are using and you might get some ideas on presentation and what tackel and bait to use. You can print out a lake map on the lake finder DNR site that can assist you.

Went out for the night {3-7} not one fish. Had some lookers but no takers, hopefully it will be a bit faster next time.

Kruger \:\/

I've had luck on the east side where 44th St intersects with Lake Harriet Pkwy. Moved the portable multiple times staying within 12-20 feet of water on an inside turn. A lot of perch and panfish mid afternoon with walleyes close to sunset.

MountainJam, any size to the wallys? I muskie fish this lake in the summer/fall, and have heard it's loaded with eyes, been meaning to get out there because I know a few good breaks on the east side too. just wondering if they were big enough to put up a fun fight

• 2 weeks later...

anybody been on harriet recently? Went out with my buddy monday evening. managed many crappies (7-8") didn't keep any. Set up for walleyes and got 3 dinks. (9-10") all came within one hour and on deadstick with fathead.

Went out last night on the southwest side of the lake at about 55 FOW and didn't mark anything from 5-9 and I was hopping around that area the whole time.

I was out Wed though at the same time last week and had luck going out about 100 yds from shore straight north off of Oliver St. on the south side of the lake. Caught 3 walleye's and 1 crappie. The walleye's were about 8-10" and the crappie was about 7" I'd guess.

It's better than being skunked but would like to find some bigger fish.....

Their is a long sand bar on the east side I think that should be good too. Right off of the tip or side of that I have had some good luck, might have move around a little bit but over the years I gotten some nice eyes and crops. South West side too, more structure I think. Good luck!

when i lived in Bloomington I wouldm Fish Harriet in t5he winter. The northwest corner out from the band shell has always done good.

I used to go to school near their and hung around their when I was a kid. It used to be one of my old hang outs at the upper lake Harriet pavilion, main beach, keggers and ect. The old pavilion next to the lake had the best popcorn. I used to fish odff the dock and streight out from the old boat launch in the sail boat area early morning durring the summer.

this was also a good sppot for walleyes in the winter. Fatheads isn all you needed. See bob at moore's bait for more info.

the sand bar on the east side is a sure bet to get a walleye or 2. usually only dinks though 8-10". going to try a bit deeper water next time I head out there. Like jim said, visit bob at moore's, he'll help u out a bit, he needs the business too!!

Yeah I've been buying my bait there since I moved to this area. I guess I don't even know of a different place anyways.

I'll make sure to ask him next time I stop by.

Probably heading out on Wed night and try that sand bar you mentioned on the east side.

Some guy stopped by with his kid and dog about 2 weeks ago claiming that a group of guys were routinely catching decent sized walleye's out near the middle of the lake in one of those deeper holes. I've yet to prove him right though...

I wouldn't doubt what the guy said.. repeatedly catching eyes, probably not, but a limit or two in a night, I believe it. The lake gets to 87 feet. There are a number of holes that get down to 35, 60, 70 and 80 FOW. i set up in 18 FOW on outside of the bar.. you'll see my holes out there, well maybe not since the last snowfall. but poke around, it goes from 8 to 20 FOW in about 20 yards. Like I said, we got 3 dinks (9-10") last time out, im sure a nice eater comes through eventually. But I was thinkin trying a bit deeper off that bar. 24-30 FOW. let me know how you did, I know there are some mounters in there, jus gotta find em! Oh, and I would set a tip up in 10 or 12 feet off that bar. me and a friend landed 4 skis all over 40" of the bar this fall, there are also a few large pike too. we'll have to meet up out there sometime

Hey Guys, I have never ice fished Harriet except tonight. I fish it ALOT in the summer and spring..... which is nice 'cause I live about three blocks away and have lived in the area for over twenty years.

That said, tonight I got skunked. I fished the west side, just south of where 42nd hits the lake. I only drilled three holes....about 30 fow, 24 fow and then to 18.

from about 5:30 to 7:00. I was working the column with two rods, one with a glow spoon and waxies and another smaller (sz10) jig with a waxie.

What presentations, lures etc have been working for you guys? I havn't done much ice fishing for a long time, and don't have a flasher or anything. Kinda old school...or broke...depending how you want to flip it.

Any suggestions?

I will be out on Harriet a bunch over the next three weeks, so sooner or later I'm bound to find the right time of day and presentation. Eric

There is a sand bar just west of the north swimming beach. I always fished there when I lived in Bloomington. Tip-ups with fatheads, and jigging spoons done well, to catch a few walleyes.