• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Sheepshead

Bulldoggr

Been going up to URL for about 6 years now. Mostly in the winter time. always catching walleye. and Crappies. I've seen Johnny P. mention Shepshead in old threads. I always thought it was strange cause i had never cuaght one.

That is until I started summer Fishing the lake. I caught my First Sheepshead.

I guess what i am wondering does any one catch those things in the winter? Does anyone actually eat those things? Smoked if they do i am thinking.

Just curious is all, I bet they would be a [PoorWordUsage] of a fight coming up thru the ice hole

Out in north dakota we catch sheepshead all the time on the river, they are about as useful as a broken foot.

Actually sheepshead are very good eating!

Every spring we keep a hald dozen off of Red and balcken them. They are freshwater cousins of Redfish and that is a highly sought after gamefish for table fare. Buy some Chef Prudhommes Blackened Redfish Magic seasoning and fillet out a few Sheepshead... remove the 'bloodline' or lateral line and follow the directions...

Don't tell anyone what they are eating and I guarnatee they will be lined up waiting for the next fillets to come off the cast iron skillet!

Good Luck!

Ken

Kinda like cats & bullys they're rare to find in winter. I've caught a couple of cats & 1 bully thru ice but never had or heard of any sheephead. I start to wonder how many I mark when there???

Originally Posted By: LABS4ME
Actually sheepshead are very good eating!

I'll second that.

Years ago in Waskish we used to have "Sheephead Days", a fun based tourney for sheephead with a sheephead fish fry at the end of it all. It was always a good time and the sheepheed could be mistaked for walleye it cooked up so well.

They sure put up a fight. Then they talk to ya, thats a little weird.

I wonder if anyone has caught a small sturgeon yet?

Originally Posted By: Chad Halvorson
They sure put up a fight. Then they talk to ya, thats a little weird.

"Croakers" thats what the old timers call them. Definetly a distinct grunt when you handle them, and yes they are very scrappy fighters.

Just an added bonus when summer fishing Red! My Kids love them as the fight like a bugger and then when you get them in the boat and start talking they are kicking at em to get back in the lake as quick as we can ;\)