Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Walleye #1

URL Presentations

7 posts in this topic

Myself and three buddies are heading up to URL over the weekend of the 9th to put in some fishing for eyes, crappies, and pike. What are some of your favorite presentations or colors? I imagine glow red is a good start for the eyes and crappies. From the looks of previous posts, the deadstick presentation has been the ticket with the jigging spoons brining them in. We have never been there..so just looking to see if I need to update any of my tackle before we make the venture up North.

Walleye #1

Originally Posted By: Walleye #1
From the looks of previous posts, the deadstick presentation has been the ticket with the jigging spoons brining them in.

Still whats working.

This might be a dumb question but what exactly do you mean by deadstick? Just a jig and crappie minnow sitting still? And then the other line has a bigger presentation and jigging it to attract?

Jig and minnow or more often a bare hook and minnow. Don't jig it, just let it sit there still. Attract them in with the jigging hook and when that spooks them away the minnow just hanging there not noving looks like and easy meal.

Curious if you use fatheads for all species too?

We tried both fatheads and crappie minnows last trip, but no success. With past experiences though, all we had to use was fatheads and that reeled in the crappies.

I too would be curious to know what baits are being used for walleye and crappie. In the past three years of Red Lake trips I have had only crappie minnows. I have done ok in the past but I am wondering if I need to get some small shiners or fatheads too.

Fished up there from thursday- sunday and the best presentation was a plain red hook just sitting under a bobber. I used a buckshot rattle spoon to attract them. I would mark them on my vex, and they would hit the dead stick every time. I maybe caught 2 fish jigging all weekend. 3 inches from the bottom and just wait. Fatheads, crappie minnows and sucker minnows were used.

We caught aprox. 100 walleyes,20 crappies, 2 northern and one perch.

Excellent in my book for the weather we had!