Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Riceisnice

Is the bite worse when it is this cold outside?

13 posts in this topic

Folks,

I was thinking about braving the cold tonight but the "wise men" in my family (uncles, father) say that the bite is worse in cold weather. What do you wiseguys think? Is there validity to this claim or are they just afriad of freezing their hind ends?

Thanks!

their just afraid of freezing their [PoorWordUsage] off. i did today and had the best day of ice fishing this whole year so far

During the winer months especially, fish cannot tell the difference in temperature. In the winter the big factor is Barometric Pressure. Falling pressure usually equals active fish. The fish are more active because particles in the water rise with the lower pressure affecting the entire food chain. It is kind of the opposite with rising pressure. Steady pressure is also good.

Temperature is only dictated by the fisherman. To me, its a way to seperate the diehards from the regualars.

I agree that the temp rarely matters. It only complicates things.

I had poor fishing today, but the front had already moved through. I fished the same lake last night and had amazing fishing for 4 straight hours.

I just got off the lake and dang was it cold. It was so cold my heater wouldn't light up (propane wouldn't flow) so after about 1.5 hours I called it quits. I was getting there when most were leaving, so I wasn't expecting much.

I think K Dawg has got it about right, I was able to make it out last night and tonight and had pretty descent luck.

Fri night was poor, but I blame it on my location. Today and tonight was pretty good, and I was impressed by the number of people out, and in portables none the less.

the bite was bad for me lots of crappies on the camera but had to get then to bite.

It actually can get better, IF you know where to look.

We had pretty good luck yesterday. Caught sunnies,crappies,perch and a bass.

I seemed to do well on Black lake just cold as [PoorWordUsage]!!!

In my humble opinion, that water temp isnt going to change when it gets colder. (Cuz if it gets and lower it will turn to ice, right?) BUT, I know when i'm freezing my behind off, I definently cannot jig as effectively. Constantly shaking and what not. Although, I have caught some of my best fish when i'm 2 seconds away from calling it quits from being so cold. SO, long story short, I think it's all in your head. As Al Lindner once said, "there's no such thing as a fish that isn't biting."

Went out Sat. much to the amazement of my wife and her mother! Had a dead sea until teh sun hit the tree tops. Crappies moved in and the Vex was lit like a Christmas Tree. The only bummer was that it doies limit mobility. Normally I will drill up to 50 holes in a day to find fish but what the temps are that cold I needed to wait it out. Also had the cheap scoop bust up on the third set of holes. Tough scoopoing with my hand after that! OOPS