Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
blackdog1101

Huge 'Tonka Muskie????

54 posts in this topic

I just got an email forwarded to me from a friend in Rchester. It's of a photo of someone who caught a huge muskie through the ice. The email claims it was caught on Minnetonka. From the photo I'd say it's about 50". Has anyone heard if this is legit? If so it's an incredible catch through the ice.

post the pic on here

my friend caught a 40 incher through the ice on mille lacs 2 weeks ago.

i heard bout the 40 incher on mille lacs. he thought it was a big walleye when fighting it

That'd be something to see and do. Think you coulp post the pic here?

yea his story is on the mille lacs forum under "i just have to tell you guys this" or something like that. he was fishing for perch with a waxie. but yea if there was a 50 incher through the ice that would be pretty amazing because it was a pretty tight fit to get that 40 incher through the hole and a 50 incher is a lot bigger fish girthwise unless they drilled a couple holes

Here are two pics. I pixillated out the anglers face and numbers on his house since I don't know who he is, or if this is a legitmate photo. I'm not good at telling doctored photos from real ones. But, if this is a legitimate catch, and I really have no reason to believe it is not, my hat is off to him. That is one great catch.

Muskie2_1-13-08.JPG

Muskie1_1-13-08.JPG

looks real, but that would be one [PoorWordUsage] of a hole to get him through

nice fish.

Monster for sure.

Its definitely possible!

<---------- whistle.gif

That's one big fish.

Congats to the lucky angler.

Sifty

Thats crazy. Period.

Proof is in the picture. Thats a big fish

Wow,

I can believe it. My friend's dad caught a 53" Muskie out there about 1.5 years ago. I had a large one on for a while this last spring (may have been about 48"). I caught it after I caught a small bass on a Daredevil Skeeter in a back bay. I came up and grabbed the bass and let me circle her around the boat a couple of times before she let go. There are some real monsters in that lake.

It sure looks like a real photo. We have no reason to believe anything different, there are definitely 50s swimming in Tonka, my buddy guides down there and put one of his clients on a 54 earlier this year, mid summer so the girth wasn't there like this fish, but it is certainly possible. I would love to catch something like that through the ice. Did it give any info on the equipment used to haul that sucker up? If that was caught on a crappie/panfish rig with 2 lb test, he might be holding a new line class record there. Unfortunately it was caught out of season, so it probably wouldn't classify, but a catch and release record it may. I certainly hope the fish was released as it is out of season.

WOW- awesome fish - awesome story to tell!!!

That is a huge fish. I wonder how long it took him to get it in. My uncle caught a 20lb sturgen that took 20 mins. I can only imagine for this pig.

The picture looks real to me and the background could definatly be Tonka. Thanks for posting it.

Think that fish went home with him??????? or back down the hole??

Well, I hope it didn't go home with him since it would be illegal ;\)

If its the same fish I heard about on Sunday, it was 54" and he killed it. Why would it be illegal?

Effective Dec 15th, the Minnesota muskie season is closed. Keeping this fish would definitely be 100% illegal. By closed, you cannot intentionally target them, and if caught are to be returned to the water. Yeah, you can take a quick pic (I beleive they cleaned up that verbiage last year), but in no means keep it.

I hope it went back down the hole. Sure looks like a 'tonka coloration, but that would be the thickest 'tonka fish I've seen. Sign of good things to come I hope.

It's not illegal, just immoral. Musky season is open until Feb. 24th, so it's not out of season. But why keep it?

ok, that post before my last one came up while i was writing the other one. I just looked at the DNR regs and it said the season closes on the 24th? Was this a special reg?

ok just found the answer to my own question. It did close on the 15th like cjac said.

I also found the new regulation. Thanks SnipeZilla!!