• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

New bows

harvey lee

So, for someone thinking of purchasing a new bow, what are all the new models that you know of already out for this fall?

Hey bud, I can list about a dozen that I certainly cannot afford! If my archery shop carried Matthews I would be test shooting the cheapest Mission bow, the one with the black riser. Pretty sure a new rest and sight will get the old girl through another year.

I'm not sure if I've seen anything on the '08 bows yet, but I too am looking to buy a new bow this year. SO far, price is not an issue, but maybe cause the wife doens't know a new bare bow can cost $800 cry.gif

Without being too brand crazy I plan on shooting the Bowtech Guardian, the Matthews Drenalin, a Ross Cardiac and the Diamond Black Ice just to start.

I hear Diamond also has another new bow out. I saw it at Gander briefly but I didn't get any info on it. Despite the competition form the big names, I know the Black Ice has gotten rave reviews this past year.

I almost pulled the pin on a new Matthews last season and I will probably be going to Cabin fever to get a new Matthews this season.

My Matthews is now 9 years old but it still took 4 deer last fall. Maybe just time to upgrade. Nice part is, if I go with the Matthews, my add ons will still fit.

I believe Matthews came out with a newer model than the Drenalin. I think at least.

I've heard great thing about the Drenalin, especially the lightweight.

I don't get too caught up in the names or the bells and whistles. My current Darton is 8yrs old and does just fine too. I plan on selling it to a friend. I am looking for something lighter and maybe faster. Shorter would be nice, but I don't have an opinion on that yet.

Matthews has a new bow I beleive is called the dxt or something like that. It is shorter than the drenalin. Can't remember how short though. I think the brace height was a little shorter on it to. Hoyt has the Katera pretty much the same as the Vectrix looking at it. Have'nt read anything about it but the only difference I saw was it was just a little bit lighter. Not ready to trade my vectrix for it though. Not sure about some of the other brands yet.

I just cant do it.. I want a new bow bad... but only because I like new.. My bow(Ultra Tec 05') is still one of the best shooting bows made.. I can hit what I want to hit.. Maybe I'll get a wild hair somewhere it dont belong.. and I'll start looking..

I agree Dietz. But every so many years its seems that its just time to upgrade to a newer model. I dont change every year or even every other but, Its seems that after 8-10 years that it is time.

Dude- I hear you... I am way worse with fishing gear. eventhough my love for archery is as deep!.. Heck my target ow is dang near 17 year old...but feels ohhhhh so good in my hands!

Might be time to retire her soon.. but not toooo soon!

There is something to be said for "old reliable", especially in a target bow.

For me I bought my bow used and found it to be a good price to see if I would really get hooked on bowhunting. Now that I'm terminally ill with archery, its time to find something that fits me in every way. I only hope it will last me 17yrs.

I've got a Reflex Grizzly that is hardly broke in and I went and pulled the trigger on a Black Ice last winter. I'm not even going to look at new bows this year.

Lot of nice new bows out there Harvey... Like forementioned - the new DXT is the new shorter Drenalin. 29 3/4". Like you - I'm 6'3" and appreciate a little longer ata. Can't go wrong with the Drenalin. Diamond's new one is the Marquis. Similar to the Black Ice but with rollerguard and built-in string tamer. Personally I think it's hideous looking. I'd take it off and add an STS instead. But looks aren't everything right? The General and Airborne's from Bowtech are pretty sweet as well. Jeff will get ya setup right down there. Have fun shopping!

Myself, I like Hoyt, I shoot now a Trykon, but the newest one I belive is a Katera,, Just not enough time in the trykon to go new again,,, Not much of an upgrade as of yet being my trykons only 2 years old....

I'm not in the market but I have looked at afew (I know very dangerous thing to do). I have alwasy shot Hoyts and like them but I like looking at all the makes. I think that 82nd airborne from Bowtec is really a nice bow. I have heard a few reports of some problems with cam lean on the new mathews do to the extremely thin limbs.

I dont know whats up with Hoyt, I just dont here alot from them anymore. It seems they have not come out with anything to revolutionary since the cam and ahalf. Maybe if it isnt broken no need to fix it.

hello i was just wondering on average what most places were running for a price on a matthews drenaline and switchback (bare bow).. i found the prices of some of these but the post were from 07 and i figured now that the dxt came out maybe they had dropped in price a little.. and also does anyone know the cost of the new hoyt katera? thanks

Originally Posted By: slopmaster
hello i was just wondering on average what most places were running for a price on a matthews drenaline and switchback (bare bow).. i found the prices of some of these but the post were from 07 and i figured now that the dxt came out maybe they had dropped in price a little.. and also does anyone know the cost of the new hoyt katera? thanks

Take it for what it's worth, in Peterson's Bowhunting mag they say suggested retail is 849.00,,,,,,,,,,, But you and I both know you can do much better

Mathews has a shorter and longer Drenalin for this year as well as the S2 or something that seems like a standard switchback.

Bowtech has a the General which is like the Commander and Guardian in design. They also have 2 faster bows called the Airborne 82nd and 101st.

Hoyt has the Katera

Ross has a shorter and longer Cardiacs.

PSE has a few new X force bows with different lengths and brace heights.

Martin has a new faster bow called the Firecat.

Mission has a new shorter bow.

Diamond has the Marquis.

Pearson has a new bow with a built in rangefinder.

Bear has the Truth 2.

Browning has something that looks like an X force.

There are lots of other new bows from other manuafacturers out there.

I have a 31.5 inch draw and shoot lefty and there are very few bows that go to 31.5 inch draw. When I go to a shop there is very little that I can test. I shoot my current bow well and will be keeping my Ross CR 337 for a few more years.

92--- wow, I dont think I have ever met another lefty who shot 31".. .LOL.. . I am right handed and left eye dominant... got monkey arms and shoot 31" draw.

I have the original switchback, not the XT. and i was thinking about getting the new DXT, but i cant imagine what they would give me for my bow? it was 800 bucks new and that was 3 yrs ago, i bet id be lucky to get 300 for it. Maybe if they didn't come out with a new bow ever year these bows would hold some value, ya know?

Depends if you want to strip off all the accessories and re-use them or sell it as it. I would guess you could still get around $450-550 for that rig. Check out trade-in at your local shop or check ebay. A lot of guys swap bows every year meaning a better buy on last year's Drenalin than a brand new DXT. Much improvement from the Switchback to the Dren... and you could make the upgrade for $200-300. I shot my Legacy for 5 years before I decided to upgrade. Have fun shopping.

Deitz,

I met you at the Bowhunting event at Cabin Fever last fall. I went there to do the sharpshooter test for the MBRB and knock heads with Keller and the other guys that were there. Hopefully they do that event again at Cabin Fever. That place is top notch with a very friendly, helpful staff and many brands to choose from.

It is tough finding bows being a lefty with a long draw but at least you don't go spending money on new bows every year. I'm a knuckly dragging righty shooting lefty too.

I have shot the DXT and it is smooth. I personally like the short bows and will more than likely be shooting this bow come fall. If you hunt out of a ground blind or even in stand locations that do not give you a lot of room for movement this is the perfect bow.

I went in and i would get right around 300 bucks for my bow, bare. So i figured it out it would be about 700 bucks for me to get the new bow and quiver and switch all of my stuff over. That DXT is pretty sweet, so short and light.

While I'm a Mathews fan I just can't get over the tuning fork vibrations you get from the Drenalin and the DXT. I like the Switchback XT much better.

There are lots of new bows out this year, and since you will need a back-up bow for hunting get a new one and keep the old one. It is hard selling an $800 bow for $300 after only a few years, especially if it is in good condition.

I got a 101st Airborne a few months ago and could not be happier. I liked the DXT it was smooth, but the short ATA length did not fit me well. The 101st is fast, quiet, and dead in the hand after the shot. It has the binary cams, so it pulls stiffer than a single cam bow, but not bad. The back wall is firm and it holds great.

Try them all and get what feels the best to you.