• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Baby FMer Get Together - rescheduled for February 23rd

polarsusd81

Bring em on out. I have a back up plan for parking and I have pretty well taken care of that situation with the few that are not able to drive out on the lake.

But certainly come on out and join in the fun.

Anybody have one of those portable firepits available? I would bring mine but no way possible to get in car.

Hey Harp...can you send me an email at polarsusd81 @ yahoo . com? I would like to give you a call if possible in regards to W.B.R.

I went out tonight with the neighbor's plow truck and checked out the conditions. From the access at the tip of sunset point, there are tons of snowmobile trails heading south into the bay. They have packed it down pretty good and it is pretty easy to get back there with cars as I saw a few parked back there. I tried to plow a path from the sled trail around the area that we will be fishing and into a parking lot that I plowed out close to shore. It was pretty tough to get it plowed in the dark as only one headlight was working and it was partially blocked by the plow. Don't laugh when you see my efforts with the plow out there, I am still somewhat of a rookie.

Anyway, I am really excited to get out there. I will be picking up all the food and supplies tomorrow and getting a new set of blades for the auger. I have all the rods rigged and ready to go for the panfish out there. Can't wait til Saturday.

Just checked the weather. They are calling for temps between 25-30 for the timeframe of the get together...couldn't be better. We wont have to worry much about slush, but not so cold that we can't have fun. Just make sure to dress warm, and try to remember to bring a change of clothes for the kids just in case.

Hi all

I will be able to make it and will bring two kids. A friend may come with one kid. Is that ok to invite friends? Do you have extra fishing gear? I have never ice fish before!!!

Thanks Ham

We are fine with bringing out friends, thats what its all about. We do have some gear for those who haven't fished. Its not the greatest gear, but we have stuff to use.

a fundraising opportunity has came up for my missions trip, and i would be very stupid to not go to this as i need to raise money. unfortunately the fundraiser is on saturday so i will not be able to make it to the get together :(..i was hopin to make it out too....well hope everyone has a good time, i hope to meet some of you at a get together in the the future

I think we need tip ups if any one has extra's to bring for the kids to use. I have about 5 and about 6-7 poles I will bring for other kids to use, but they could get picked up pretty quick. I will also add (and I have 5 of them in my hands I was going to buy for Sat.)that Gander in Forest Lake has tips up (Nice ones) one sale for $3.99 each. They are normally $12.00. If anyone is coming from the cities and wants to swing into Gander in Forest Lake, they have some for next to nothing and a bunch of other 40% off stuff to get you geared up. This might peak interest into some who are questioning coming, because of a lack in equipment. You will need to buy line (cheap stuff works good for one day and buy a big roll of line to rig up more than one tip up. Ask the guys by the fishing are for help in needed) (2-4lb test for pan fish or 10-20lb for pike), sinkers and hooks. When you split up the cost of cheap line, the weights and hook pack (plus the $3.99 for tip up); you can rig up a tip-up for about $5.00. That’s cheap.

I am going home now and getting stuff ready. I bought a new LX-5 today and will be trying it out to for the first time tomorrow. I will bring some other stuff and gizmo’s for kids to play with and yes Tom, I have a nice table I will bring also. No WWF slam on it though (LOL). Should be fun. See ya all tomarrow.

Between Tom and I we are bringing a solid dozen poles out on the ice. Only three or so are claimed by the kids. We will set out some tip-ups as the northerns are pretty active in the area.

If you don't have gear, I am sure someone will be able to set you up with something. Although it may not be new and top of the line.

I know I probably speak for a few guys when I say I won't likely have a line in the water (maybe a tip-up in my honor). I will be spending my time helping the future FMers get addicted.

Said perfectly Rob, the main focus will be getting future FMers addicted. From the sounds of things, we are going to be interviewing kids out there for the HSO podcast for the week. Pretty sweet!!!

I am on the way right after typing this to pick up all the food supplies, already got all the buns. I hope we have some hungry kids out there tomorrow. grin.gif

Ya, I am not figuring fishing much, but helping the kids and Tom with food and such.

I just found out my bro in-law is coming with one of his boys.

I wish I would have gotten those extra tip-ups at Gander, but I was buying the LX-5 and after adding up the total purchase cost's, I put them back. I had tip-ups, line and hooks in hand. It was so cheap, I might stop in the morning. You can not beat the price. We will see. Who knows, I might just 5 or so and give them away to the kids. I will check the books to see if it is possible.

It should be a cool day.

One last update and then I am done until the recap and photo posting.

We could not get in touch with anyone at Whispering Bay so we can not park there. Please do not do so as I would hate to cause any trouble. I went out today with a front wheel drive car and was able to travel the entire bay without even spinning the tires one time. When you get to the T on Glader, hang a left and watch for the lake road that leads out to the right just a couple hundred yards up the road. Take the second one and the tracks will lead you right out to the spot we are fishing. I have plowed a spot to park all the cars out there over an area where the lake is froze pretty well to the bottom.

Thanks a bunch for your cooperation.

Well, I'm home again.. What an AWESOME day.. for those who were out there, Thanks so much for sharing your day with us.. I had a blast, and got skunked... I donth tink I caught a fish.. but then again, I dont think I tried. I got to be a part of quite a few first fish though the ice today with quite a few new friends I made. It was a blast! I know quite a few people took pictures, and as you know I was doing \my podcast on the ice as well.. I am waiting to record the close of the show with Tom as that audio didn't turn out.. but as soon as I have it done I'll post it in here...

It was so much fun bringing all the kids out there. I bet everyone can guess what I am having for dinner tonight. \:\) So many good memories from this get together...we would be out of our minds to say that this will be the last of this type. I will post a recap here soon with tons of pictures. My uncle Bill was out with his camera too and I am going to head to his house tomorrow to download the photos from him and get them posted up tomorrow.

Thanks so much to all those who helped. I had some family members come out to help with the food and wow did they do a great job. I can't thank them enough, they really made it possible for us to get out and make sure the kids were having fun. Look forward to the recap, it will be posted in the ice fishing section of the forums.

Thanks again.

The Baby FMer Get Together Rocked! I brought 5 eleven year olds from my Girl Scout troop, another mom and her 4 year old daughter and 18 month old son. They all caught fish and had a blast. Thanks to Tom and Rob and everyone else who set this up. Good work. Thanks also to Frankie's for the free stuff.

Hey Tom, who am I supposed to talk to at Thorn Bros. about repairing my favorite rod tip? Wouldn't you know it? My best, fastest ice rod couldn't hold up in the hands of a 4 year old. Oh well, it's just material stuff. Not nearly as important as turning kids on to fishing.

Thanks again to everyone who worked on this. I would say it was a huge success. Speaking of huge, how big was that bass?

I am currently uploading 47 mb worth of photos to the flickr and will be posting a recap shortly.

skiinglady,I'll jump in here to post that you could talk to Matt Johnson at Thorne Bros., about your rod.Matt is one of our FM/HSO prostaffers,so let him know you're a member of FM.com.

Sounds like you all had a great time.Too bad I had to miss this one, but the job had dibs on my time today.Nice day for an outing, no doubt about it.

Yep, sorry I missed the question skiing lady. Matt Johnson is the one you want to talk there. Tell him what happened and he will help you out. The rod will be just a bit shorter, but he will get a new tip put on there for ya.

Tom,

It was a beautiful day, more than anyone could ever ask for.

I think the best sign of the day showing us this is a good thing, that will last for years was the eagle that soared right over the group. That was a moment.

We stayed until everyone was gone. I think our kids and the big kids did not want it to end.

I did get a good sunburn, anyone else?

Thanks

I am glad to hear that this was a hit. Great weather to boot. I am [PoorWordUsage] that I had to miss. I got a call from the boss on Fri that I would have to work the weekend. To bad I looked forward to meeting some of you and my kids were set on fishing. Hopefully next time.