• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Baby FMer Get Together - rescheduled for February 23rd

polarsusd81

We had to postpone the get together to bring the kids out on the ice for January 19th because they are calling for temps below zero and wind chills at dangerously low levels. So we are going to try a second attempt at gathering on the ice with the kids in the Chisago Lindstrom area and hopefully Mother Nature will be a bit more cooperative this time.

The new date is February 23rd. All the other details will remain the same as before, just hoping for warmer temps. We have decided on that date because we do not want to conflict with the Forest Lake Ice Fishing Contest being put on by Fishapalooza on the 16th, and we certainly do not wish to conflict with the Cool Cats Get Together on March 1st. Much after the beginning of March, the ice in the metro area can start to deteriorate, so we weren't left with too many options. We want it to be as safe as possible out there. We know that no ice should ever be considered safe, but we will work to make sure safety is of the utmost concern.

We will still have all the door prizes for the kids, including some jigs donated by the Outdoor Pro Store and JB Lures as well as some Rod and Reel combos that were donated to the cause as well. We are also still planning to serve hot dogs and will also have chips and juice, milk, and water for refreshments. All the bait will be provided for the kids and they will walk away with a huge smile on their face.

The goal of the ice fishing get together for the kids is to give them a positive experience out on the ice and get them interested in the sport. We will be in the presence of many great fishermen, and we will even have a couple guides out fishing with us. It is open to kids of all ages, but we ask that they are at least able to walk on their own. Anyone over the age of 16 must have in their possession a valid fishing license if they plan to help a child in any way ice a fish. This is required by law. We will be targeting crappies and blue gills mainly, but may set out some tip-ups for pike as well. The info from the previous attempt is still available, and there was a lot of interest. Hopefully all that were interested previously will be able to make it. If you can't, let me know, maybe we can get out another time with some kids, my buddy will bring his niece and I will bring my son.

Tom Dobbins

We would be fishing right now.

But, rather safe, than sorry. Good call.

I will make sure to be at this one and will help in any way.

Thanks Tom.

yep better safe than sorry.

It's really hard to schedule around other things as every weekend there is something.

For example, I believe Slabfest is the same weekend you rescheduled for.

Yep, slabfest is the same weekend. That's where I'm heading I believe. I would love to go, but we'll get the kids out together. Hopefully the weather holds for this reschedule. Next year we will have to plan one again though.

• 2 weeks later...

I am kinda bummed that Slabfest is the same weekend, that is another one that I have been wanting to attend. I am sure the Baby FM'er will end up being an annual get together. I've got a few more people interested in coming on the 23rd that wouldn't have been able to make the 19th as well. The weather man better not mess this one up again, or they will have quite a few angry fishermen and women to deal with.

Great idea! Thanks for pulling this together. What lake do you plan to fish? What time? Or, what is the link to the info for the Jan 19th event? I can just read all the info there if I can get to the site.

Thanks!

Skiinglady,

Here is a link to the original post.

Baby FM'er get together info

Would be glad to have you out there. We haven't posted the lake name yet, because we are constantly scouting to make sure we are on the fish.

Yes... constantly scouting new lakes and ice fishing all the time "just for the kids". I hate having to do it, but it's for the kids.

Man, I wish I could make this one with you guys. I'm always willing to help you scout though. You gots my email Tom.

Hey there Tom.....can you give me more details on the time/exact location of this event. It would be great to give it some coverage if at all possible. If nothing else, it would be fun for the kids/parents to get some photographs of the event.

Please send me an e-mail but I'm sure you'll post it on here as well!

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

We are going to be out for a little last minute scouting on Presidents day next week, we wont stop until we find the fish, and either Monday night or Tuesday sometime, I plan to post a lake map from the DNR website with the location marked on it as well as a map from mapquest edited to show directions to the lake and the spot. Depending on the outcome of our scouting mission on Monday, we might be a little farther from the access than originally planned. I will be checking all the ice conditions carefully, right now the lakes in the area are running about 20-28" of ice which is plenty for driving.

Hope to see you all there.

Tom

I will be posting up the map as soon as possible. Troy McLure, Deitz and I were out today braving the elements for a bit. Deitz locked his keys in his truck while it was running, I was standing there thinking "Now that is Deitzin it" but I couldn't bring myself to say it. Lets just say if the fishing on Saturday is anything like what we had out there today, we will see a lot of smiling faces on the kids out there. It was cold and windy out there today, but our first move proved to be a great one and the fish were really active even with the turn of the weather. Can't wait for Saturday.

Great to here.

I think the weather is in-line for Sat. as well. Any idea on how the turn out might be?

As right now, it should be a go for me and my boys.

Thanks for the up date.

Channel 5 just forecasted a high temp. of 36 for Saturday. You folks should be really good to go, with warmer weather coming in.

I think with the warm weather, we will probably have a lot of people come out. Only about 60 degrees warmer than the original date. \:\) Funny how things work out in the end. We will be setting tip ups for sure, as we saw three big pike on the camera come through and even a few walters, but pannies are going to be the main target. We have a spot picked out with shallow weed bite (gills) and a deep suspended bite (crappies) within about 15 yards of eachother. Tomorrow, I will get a head count going as I have quite a few people from work that are planning to head out, and I have a spreadsheet with a head count going. As of right now, I am thinking between adults and kids, we will have between 60-75, plus there will surely be others that see the group and come over.

Oh, thats going to be big.

I would have to say this could be one of the biggest get togethers FM has had. Maybe the Cool-Cats?

Thanks Tom. I will a wait to hear what we need to do to get ready.

Good luck to everyone. I'll be up on Red so won't be able to make it. Let me know how it goes and Tom, if you need help with next years let me know.

So, we have dialed in the location for the kids fishing get together this weekend and hope to see you all out there. It is going to be held in Hazelden Bay of South Center Lake. There is a nice hole out there that drops down to 27 feet of water and it is surrounded by a vast expanse of water less than 7 feet deep. We have located some very nice bluegills as well as some largemouth bass, and northern pike along with a few walleyes and some nice crappies in this location. The pike in the area can range from 1 lb all the way up to 20+ lbs. If the fishing is half as good as what Rob, Deitz, and I had yesterday, we will be seeing a lot of smiling faces on the kids this weekend.

The attempts to contact WBR were fruitless so we can not park there. If you are not comfortable driving on the ice, you can call me and I can help you find a spot to park. If you have a vehicle you are comfortable driving on the ice and are willing to drive out, you are more than welcome to do so. We have measured a consistant 24" of ice on the lake so we are plenty good for driving. We can park cars and trucks right close to shore where the lake is frozen solid to the bottom.

To get to the lake, you take either 35W or 35E north out of the cities. After merges into I-35 you will be taking the Hwy 8 exit 4.6 miles north of the merge.

Take Hwy 8 for 11.8 miles northeast.

Turn Right on Olinda Trail (right before Dairy Queen in Lindstrom) and travel south for 1.6 miles.

Turn Left onto Glader Blvd and follow that for 1.2 miles to the T.

For Cars

I went down to WBR and tried to talk to them but to no avail. The lake is very driveable for just about any type vehicle. I was out today with a front wheel drive car and had no trouble anywhere. When you get to the T, you can turn left and head up the road just a little bit and you will see a spot where cars and trucks have been driving out, this little road leads right out to the spot and is well packed. You can use that access or follow Glader Blvd to the end of the point and when you drive down onto the ice, make a right hand U-turn and head down the lake to the end of the bay. I will try to post a sign in a snow bank at the end of the point to direct people down to the south end of Hazelden Bay.

Here are a couple maps. First is a north metro vicinity map.

2278776182_3b0cdd1564_o.jpg

Next we have the map of the Lindstrom area. I have sketched in a couple lines to show where to turn.

2278776220_3fca7f6f00_o.jpg

And finally, we have a lake map posted with the approximate location.

2277985849_70a520af0d_o.jpg

We will have hot dogs and chips for everyone and we are going to limit the provided refreshments to juice, milk, and water, but if you wish to bring sodas feel free to do so. I am hoping to keep it an alcohol free event considering the adults have to bring the kids home later, and remember if you get too out of line, we can send you up the hill to the Hazelden Treatment Center. \:\)

What to bring:

If you have ice fishing gear, bring it, we shouldn't need the augers cause the FM staff members will be out early to pop holes for everyone.

Warm clothes, and probably a change of clothes for the kids in the event that they step in a hole and get a foot wet or something.

Your choice of refreshments if the provided stuff doesn't work for ya.

Fishing License for anyone over the age of 16.

Cameras cause there will be a lot of kids having a blast.

Hope to see you all out there.

Count me in.. No kids for me to bring but Ill bring all my gear and some sodas for those of us you dont partake in the barley pop.

I enjoy teaching a whole lot more then catching.

Time?

1:00 pm until 3:00 pm is the time frame for the kids. I am planning to be out a bit early with some of the other FMers that are helping out at about 11-12ish. If you want to come out a bit early and help out that would be great. The reason for the short time frame is that most kids attention spans wont last much more than a couple hours, if they are having fun and aren't cold and wet, we might stay out a bit later, but that is kinda one of those things that is determined at the moment.

Completely understand on the time frame. I took my 3 yr old niece out this weekend and even with the fish cam we only lasted an hour. It should be fun. C ya out there. Assuming I can find the place.

Quick question.

Can I get up and down the landing in my car? dont mind driving just dont want to be stuck on the lake.

Yeah, it is plowed and just about everyone uses that access at the end of the point. We pulled a fish house over there yesterday as there were some pretty big drifts out on the west part of the lake and the guy couldn't get his mini van out on the west side. There are a group of houses over the hole, maybe 15 or so and they are supposed to come off this weekend. While we were sitting out there, a guy was plowing in Hazelden Bay, so I am thinking there will probably even be a road plowed back there. I will drive up Friday morning and check out the spot and drive my car out there just to make sure it is possbile for cars. Shouldn't be a problem though.

Tom, I lost your email addy and saw you called me last night. Give me a buzz on my cell or shoot me an email.

Tom, my plans changed and I'm freed up for Saturday. Looks like I'll make it with my 3 y.o. daughter. I sent an email too.

thanks! LB

So I have a list of FMers that plan to come out. If you are planning to head out but don't see your name, let me know. Here is the list so far.

polarsusd81

Troy McLure

Deitz Dittrich

Shackbash

Blueroof

Scottimus

DonBo

skiing lady

Irishwalleye

Burnham

8point - maybe with Burnham

Gurkster

Harp

There are quite a few that are not affiliated with the website as well that plan to come out. Maybe after the g.t.g. they might be joining up?

I also talked to Jack Baker last night and he might be able to stop out for a bit with his daughter Grete. For those who don't know, Jack and Grete fish together in the NAIFC and do quite well. They just did a seminar at Thorne Bros last Wednesday for getting kids involved in ice fishing. He is trying to get away from the golf show for a bit to stop out.

I would like to attend as well if there is still time to RSVP to the event and bring my 8 and 4 old girls. We have a place at Whispering Bay Resort land parking and lake access from there could be a problem, we were just out there slidding last weekend.

HARP