Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SCOTTJ

How deep is "shallow" this time of year?

3 posts in this topic

In December we usually fish deeper (18-25') most of the day and then move the portables in to 12-14 feet in the afternoon. I know "deep" this time of year can mean 30-34'. Do people still make the move shallow this time of year, and if so what kind of depth would be considered "shallow" for that afternoon move?

jjohnson: I did not see the houses as shallow over Pine this last week as of a couple of weeks ago. I can't give you an exact depth on the shallow side but they definitley were not set up as shallow. I was really surprised not to see much action in 4 mile bay. Last year there were a lot of houses set up very few seen on this last trip. ONe thing that was evident in past 8 years that I've been going up is that there was always a pressure ridge in 4 mile that Adrian had to bridge. There is no evidence of a pressure ridge on Adrians road all the way to Pine. Good luck and hang on. Bill

I would say 8 to 12 feet would be shallow for this time of year.

Curt had a good post a week or two ago about the shallow bite.

Sifty