Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dahitman44

Cold snap and fishing?

20 posts in this topic

Any thoughts to how this cold snap will do to the fishing?

I am guessing that it will not help. Anyone else have any thoughts on extreme cold and fish action?

Hitman

It can't make it any worse. I'll be out.

I think I might just stay home and watch the Packers lose!! grin.gif

Sunday would be a good day for all of you to come to Glyndon for the Cub Scout Pancake Feed!!! grin.gif Fill up with a good breakfast before hitting the ice. ;\)

One thing the cold has done is most of the slush is froze. I was out last nite and took the Buick half way across the lake. I sat at a buddy's till about 9:30 and took off after the snow and wind picked up. Suprising how the road filled in so quick. The Buick powered threw it tho.

Yeah -- I hear ya.

I think i might try that pancake feed. us scouts have to help eachother out.

Hit

Thanks Hitman!! Thanks too for putting that ad in your paper for it.

You're right Steve, I would think that the slush problem should be all but gone.

Originally Posted By: Dahitman44
Any thoughts to how this cold snap will do to the fishing?

I am guessing that it will not help. Anyone else have any thoughts on extreme cold and fish action?

Hitman

The fish don't mind the cold weather as wind chill doesn't bother them.

I have noted that when the ice starts to pop and boom the fish seen to go deeper.

I have been busy replacing the jigflies the toothy ctrtters bit off on HOL last Sunday. :-)

The fish are still active, though it seems that they bite a lot lighter. This is usually the time when spring bobbers and cameras see to help make the difference between a good day and a bust.

Good info -- keep it coming.

downsizing your jig will also help, as well as slowing down your presentation

The fish don't mind the cold weather as wind chill doesn't bother them.

Hey Bob, I agree, however it maybe a little bit colder for me to try to catch them, I told myself that I would not be fishing this weekend, but, there is still a 85% chance of me going. It maybe too cold to fish with a portable if it's windy. I to just finished relining my rod after a fish messed it up at the HOL GTG'r, later, the Perch

In colder water temperatures fish don't feed as much. I've found that paying attention to other factors that affect their feeding behavior is important. I usually go by weather patterns and the trusty moon phase guide. I've found these two things have a dramatic affect on fishes feeding patterns, especially when i'ts cold.

I like to base it off the "Shrek theory", if i'm hungry then the fish are hungry, that means the fish will always be biting for me..... the Perch

Cold weather will have little to no effect on the fish, but the pressure and fronts that come with them will. This extended high pressure system will do the most to shut fish down, but once it decreases, which should bring warmer weather, fish should become more active. The pressure is over 30.6, which is high.

I think fisherdog hit the nail right on the head with that last post.

We spanked em yesterday despite the temps.

It just seems like the reports die down because nobody is brave (or dumb) enought to go out. We had only two trucks near us where we had over thirty the week before. I think the action was as good, if not better. Last year it was -25 twice in two mornings on Mille Lacs when I had the best week of the year for jumbo perch. We were filling out on 11-13.75" perch and nobody was around but a few of us stubborn dumb types...

That probably has to do with less pressure and the stable cold weather. If the weather isnt stable, the fish i think tend to be less agressive for the most part, but not all the time.

I agree, its just too often people equate cold nasty weather with unstable weather. Pressure wise that might not always be. Thats fine with me. More bites and less noise for me...

We did well with crappies this weekend during the coldest times so far this years (saturday evening, sunday morning)...I am a big believer in pressure, temp doesn't have much of a factor

Good posts.

Went out Sunday night (not a Packer fan) -- perch were active but the eyes were not.

Looking forward to the end of the week when the pressure will change.