Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
walleye_hunter22

what lakes

6 posts in this topic

heres a good 1. 3 big lakes for walleyes what is better.

Mille Lacs.

Red Lake.

Lake Of The Woods.

Been to all 3 for ice fishing and spring fishing and to be honest i dont think i wont go back to Mille Lacs. I would go back to South Dakota and fish there before i go back to Mille Lacs, same distance of drive, and so much better fish. But theres a thinker.

I think this question is going to stir the pot a bit, but for numbers of fish in the slot sizes, Red or the Woods is going to put more on the ice to eat. As far as quality fish, if you are not just after a meal as most walleye guys are, Mille Lacs is hard to beat. There is nothing wrong with putting a walleye back in the water, but a lot of people don't share that same viewpoint.

For me in particular, Mille Lacs is about 90 minutes in the truck and we are at the launch ramp. South Dakota, would be a good 5 to 6 hour drive, I'd rather go to the Pond and release a few pigs and hit a couple jumbo perch for the table.

I agree with polorus81. Being a minnesotan I prefer to spend my money and time here. You can't find a better fishery anywhere. Milacs can be hit or miss, but when it's a hit it can't be beat. Catching and releasing 30-40 eyes in the 22-28" range is an absolute blast. This is a pipe dream anywhere else. So have fun in the dakotas I'll stay on the pond.

i grew up fishing in south dakota and there are some great fishing spots, waubay, the missouri river, lake thompson, ect. but they dont compare to mille lacs fishing. you will be hard pressed to find a south dakota lake that produces fish like mille lacs. granted a lot of the SD lakes dont have the kind of fishing pressure that mille lacs has but you have a tougher time catching trophy walleyes.

I'd agree. I love to fish Mille Lacs. You always have that feeling like the fish on you line could be a trophy. Granted, I haven't caught many big ones but catching them sure are fun.

Mille Lacs for big fish.

Red for numbers of mid size fish.

LOW for numbers of eaters.

Where lucky to have three great place's within a days drive.

Sifty