• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Pelican

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• anyfishwilldo

• fishersofmen

• rockman

• smallie_hawgin

yes i have speared and know about 3 or 4 other guys that spear out there also. there was to much noise this weekend but managed to get one 7 pounder and missed a few small ones. lots and lots of big pike out there. we have taken some 12 and 16 pounders.

There is a public access off 117. There are other access to the lake, but I don't know how legal they are.

Yea, I had to get going, but next trip I will plan on fishing until dark, or a bit later.I know there are fish to be caught down there,I just ran out of time on the last trip there.

Matt, are you adding any kind of plastic tail, or trailer?Although, if I remember right, with a Ratso you don't really need to add anything.Red, or black color, to mimic bloodworms, or insects? I do have an idea or two,however, using Little Atom plastics with some jigs to get the same effect.

can you drive on pelican, i know there is an access on the lake, but i was wondering if the ice is thin in the narrow parts of the lake, i have never fished the lake and i am hoping to get there this weekend, just wondering of i need to bring an atv or sled with. also wondering what else is in the lake besides crappies and sunfish.

Gunth

There is close to 2 ft of ice. As far as bad spots, I have yet to find them, but am not saying they are not there. I have caught bluegills, crappies, and hammer handles. Those are all I have caught, so that is all I can report.

so you are saying driving is a go on the lake, can you drive from the landing all the way to the north end of the lake?

gunth

thanks for the reply

There are tracks off 37 on the north end all the way onto the ice, however I assume you would be driving on someones property if you went that way. Best to stick to the launch. If you plan on going out at night, make sure you pay attention were you are going. It is the largest lake in Wright County and it is possible to get lost.

I've seen a couple Large mouth come out of Pelican as well.

The tracks off 37 when I was there last week, had a wooden barricade with a no tress sign. Some friends of mine decided to ignore it and go off the lake there. Low and behold, someone was waiting for them when they tried to exit and cursed them out good. They called me to inform me of the situation and I let a couple guys in on what was going on as they were heading that way. Well, they were some old timers, and locals who know the land leaser who has the issue.

Most of the land that you are refering to on the north east side of the lake is now owned by the USFWS, however the farmer who did own it has rights to farm it for another year or 2.

Originally Posted By: fishersofmen
If you can drive on the whole lake why are guys trying to take short cuts anyway?

Human nature to find the shortest route I guess.

Sorry anyfish, but when they're driving around "No Trespassing" signs, I'd argue it's pure laziness, not human nature.

Folks, be careful about driving on land owned by the USFWS,including the forementioned land on the NE corner of the lake.CO's ,state and federal, will ticket you for unauthorized use of a motor vehicle away from the appointed access.Wright County has, and can, write tickets for this as well.Use the public access landing on the NW corner of the lake to avoid any trouble, and a possible citation.Trespassing issues stand alone, without any debate. Don't give the sportsman a black eye with landowners by trespassing, just to save a couple of minutes of travel time to a fishing spot.

I was out tonight for a few hours. Got a northern and some small crapps. Alot of fish on the flasher but they were pretty tight lipped. When you can catch small crapps but only on a very small presentation....whats a guy to do to catch the bigger ones?? Or is it just location? And by the way, I got lost coming off in the dark!!

Where is that access on the NW corner? Looking at a map of the area, I am not seeing one. What co. road is that off of? Would it be 37 or 117? Thanks for any info on this. I would like to give this lake a try and hope to drive on, but don't want to do anything illegal as I respect private land.

Jiggin the access is off of 117 just south of 37, you can't miss it. I drove a couple of miles on it last night don't think you will have any problems.

I live near the lake and would love to run some tip-ups for northerns out there. Would you be willing to share some info? Thanks!

Blaze, I am gong to have to agree with you on the laziness. That particular illegal access is off 37. The legal public access is off 117.

Not interested in any spots -- just curious -- can sunnies be caught all day long and what about crappies - has anyone been catching these during the non-prime portion of the day (5pm - whenever)

Some nice 'gills to be had during the day if you can find them. A few crappies after dark as well... mostly on the small side for me but a few nice fish to know they're around somewhere. Just gotta drill some holes and search 'em out.

thanks -- i happened to drive by yesterday (Thursday) and there were about a dozen trucks out and about - no particular spot though -- i'll bet tomorrow it'll be a zoo out there -- so i think i'll wait until Monday --- somestimes it's good to be a realtor \:\)

I think I remember clocking it at 1.25 miles, from Cty. Rd. 37 to the driveway of the access.If you go all the way to Cty. Rd. 113, you have gone too far.It is just past 60th Street,the access driveway being on the east side of 117,and 60th Street being on the west side of 117.

If I remember this lake isn't all that deep, correct? Also, does anyone have any luck bass fishing during open water?