• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

In the summer, I have very little, if any, opportunities to fish during the week because of my work schedule. And certainly nearly all of my guiding occurs during the weekend, so I see it all out there. Compared to the other "larger" lakes I fish in the area, Tetonka is the most civil in regards to fishing pressure and recreational traffic. Also, many of the fishermen and women who I see out there are not really taking their fishing too serious. Much like I am and many, many others, they're out to have a good time and if something tugs, they set. But, more often than not, I get caught up in the moment and fish hard and will not give up until I succeed. There are times I leave the lake, clients or not, with a "0" and I drive home scratching the top of my head. Or there are days when it's just "catch and release" or the opposite of that, which is obviously "catch and keep". "Pressure" is not just about the number of boats on the water, it's what's being put in the boats and leaving the lake, never to return.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Team Otter

• Willy

• Muddog

• katoguy

Stocking Tetonka would surely fill Sakatah also.....

As a walleye guy, i wouldnt mind the 'extra' tug on my line.

I guess thats why I fish French and Tetonka now. \:\)

I agree with mjgrose and Katoguy, the landings can't hold tons of rigs.

If I didn't live near there or fish it very much, I'd probably be all for it. But since I do, I am all against it. Maybe that's a little bit selfish, but whatever.

You stock muskies in there and they flourish, which I bet they will, then you'll have lots of guys coming from the cities to fish them.

Go to Milly or up north if you want skis.

That is the reason why we want to stock down here sick of driving up north. for presure yes there will be people fishing them but why would people from cities drive down here when they have several lakes up there....

I fish it all the time and I'm for it. There isn't a good muskie lake that isn't a good walleye lake.

Broaden the resource, give people more opportunities to fish this species, boost in local economy; it's not all bad.

There you go. Stock Frances or Washington with Muskies. Add 200 new boats to one of these lake on a summers day and you would never know it. I have not put a boat on Washington in 20 years. I have not put a boat on Frances in 2 years.

I just hope Tetonka stays green. "I'm not going to swim in that stuff".

Have you ever been trolling, catch a fish and before you get the hook out of the fishes mouth a boat anchors in the spot where you hooked the fish? This happens to me at least 12 times a year. I'm guessing that in the summer you can't just look for all the fish houses and fish there. So they shadow other boat around to find fish. Do I have to say what kind of fish they are looking for?

Originally Posted By: Muddog
Do I have to say what kind of fish they are looking for?

Bass? Ha!

Frank Schneider Jr has a smile on his face right now as we discuss the biggest problem with Muskie Fishing being too many Muskie Anglers \:\) just 5 years ago I would have said anything but that as a concern, also I know allot of the guys fishing French and they are some of the nicest most considerate people I know, they are concerned with allot more than just Muskies, it's a huge opportunity for all anglers and business(Resorts Guides Hotels Bait Shops) one thing is for certain the secret is out on French and The Outdoor news is publishing a Muskie Report on Tetonka already from time to time, Metro fishermen will stay metro for the most part they have great lakes and they're probably just going to get better, echoing Sheephead most guys are sick of driving 2-6 hrs to Muskie fish, So. MN is the next horizon in a vision started by Gill Hamm 40+ years ago he didn't think there was any reason to drive to Canada to fish Muskie when they drove past the 41 lakes that are new introductions today, the fact that NONE show any reason not to stock Muskies shows us that we should look for places to consider that fit the molds of those 41, we should also be prepared to ask questions and find out the facts not just conjecture from the past.

Proud Member of Chapter 54

John Underhill

I was told by a DNR guy once that Muskies are the most expensive fish to stock. If they are going to start stocking these fish all over, then I think they should have a muskie stamp or something to recoup the money that is spent on stocking.

I am not against muskies or muskie fisherman, but the money has to come from somewhere.

First of all the DNR is not a for profit entity, so regardless of the license fees,stamps etc. the DNR is allocated so much per year, where they decide to spend is their call,and it's apperant that the musky groups are more intune with lobbying than other groups,they have license sales to help add additional resources, but it is nowhere near enough to operate alone, secondly It's called sales tax, not trying to be sarcastic but anytime I purchase something for muskies it's not cheap, so the dollar volumn has to be there, one rod alone that I bought was 300 bucks then strap a reel on top of that and the setup was around 500 total, now if i'm buying walleye rods, i can get a nice setup for 200 total, so theres definately an increase in sales tax generated by these guys.

I don't understand the whole stamp idea myself, if your going to make someone purchase a license to fish and then hit them up for a stamp on top of it, isnt that like double taxation, maybe what needs to be done is to have a license where everyone pays one set fee, regardless of age,gender,nationality,veteran status etc and you get to choose three species of fish, if you want to fish for additional species than there would be additional options available to purchase, keeping rough fish free, obviously this will never happen, and more education and enforcement would need to happen, just my thoughts

The stocking of muskies could be a good thing. Those lakes should then be spearfishing banned. Watching the area lakes big pike, year after year, get speared out maybe the skis could fill the foodchain gap. I'm not against spearing but, this winter has seen a slaughter of huge northerns taken from an area lake buy spear fisherman. When a 20+ lb pike is taken out of a body of water the lake suffers. Maybe the muskies could bring a new predetor to take the place of the "big fish in the pond".

They are not putting a spearing ban on the lake.I was told this at our muskie Inc meeting...

I agree that the DNR is not a profit organization, but any money taken in or spent goes to the bottom line. My point is that if a lot of money is spent in one area, then another area is going to suffer. Believe me I know that muskie fisherman spend a lot of money, but hardly any of that money (sales tax, etc..) goes back to the DNR.

The DNR has said they are not for spearing bans on these lakes. They have no effect because spearers are such a small percentage of the fishing population that they are statistically insignificant. Also you can't spear muskies anyway. I know a lot of guys that have seen muskies while spearing on Tetonka, so they are there anyway.

Originally Posted By: smnduck
The stocking of muskies could be a good thing. Those lakes should then be spearfishing banned. Watching the area lakes big pike, year after year, get speared out maybe the skis could fill the foodchain gap. I'm not against spearing but, this winter has seen a slaughter of huge northerns taken from an area lake buy spear fisherman. When a 20+ lb pike is taken out of a body of water the lake suffers. Maybe the muskies could bring a new predetor to take the place of the "big fish in the pond".

What does spearing have to do with the muskies? You can't spear muskies. You can't single out a group because of the actions of a few people. There are bad eggs in every group.

I think what 'smnduck' was referring to was something like this:

If you're spearing northerns in a lake that has no muskies, what will replace the northerns, who was "the predator fish"?

Just because muskies are in a lake, doesn't mean spearing is not going to happen. For instance, a person can spear on Pokegama, Leech, Winnie, Vermillion, Woman, Miltona, Alexander, Shamineau and Plantanganette, all of which have very healthy walleye populations too.

Who cares if the spear fisherman are taking a few slimers out? Good for them. The minute amount of fish harvested by guys that spear doesn't hurt the lake any. Please don't go ragging on the spearfishermen, it is a time honored tradition. If my grandpa was still alive, he'd go nuts if someone took away his metal spike.

By the way, I don't spear and have never really kept any slimers, but if some guys want a few to pickle, I say let them have em.

Let the guys that like to target those fish target them. Spearers are usually experienced enough to tell the differance between a ski and a nort.

A conservation officer told me that there has never been anyone written up in MN for spearing a muskie.

Originally Posted By: Bigeye30"

I don't understand the whole stamp idea myself, if your going to make someone purchase a license to fish and then hit them up for a stamp on top of it, isnt that like double taxation....

I agree, but right now spearers have to buy a separate $18 license.