• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

SHS, why would I need a new boat? Heck, I have a bilge pump for the leak so it still floats. 25 spots full last I heard for the SMBT.

I dislike the high pressure our lakes see sometimes, too. We all own the lakes. I you can't get a spot at a landing, well, next time show up a little earlier. (My same response to those complaining about fishing contests.)

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Team Otter

• Willy

• Muddog

• katoguy

"bunches of lakes"? French lake and Fox lake are the two fishable muskie lakes. I wouldn't call that "bunches".

Originally Posted By: Willy
Muskies are not native to Southern MN and haven't been here in the past, why do we all of a sudden need bunches of lakes to fish them on?

Perhaps more muskie fishermen and women that live in this area or surrounding communities and towns want to stay closer to home because of the gas prices. If those same people are on a board, organization or association that is promoting muskie stocking in Southern MN, then maybe that's all it takes. There will be a lot less people fishing Leech, Mille Lacs, Vermillion, Cass, etc. this summer and fall because of gas prices. More options, I would think, would equal less pressure state-wide.

Just a thought...

Muskies are not native to Southern MN and haven't been here in the past, why do we all of a sudden need bunches of lakes to fish them on?

I have a hard time with this one.

The only water in the area that has Walleyes that spawn with success is the Mn River. Maybe the Cannon chain. All others are 100% stocked Walleyes! Walleye are native to Wisconsin.

When I was young my father had a sporting goods store. You should have heard the old timers talk about the old days. Muskie fishing on Volney. Spearing 30lb Northerns. People bringing in Northern to be weighed not knowing they were Muskies.

Northers and Muskies are vary aggressive fish! It is all to easy to decimate a population in oh so little time. Once patterned (Northerns) you can catch 15-20 all of the same size in one day.

If you are obsessed with Walleyes and think ALL lakes need to be Walleye lakes. Look in the mirror to see the #1 reason why there are so few Walleyes around.

Tetonka has the DNR Hatchery for Muskies and Northerns. Only a few of the Muskies are stocked in the lakes in this area. Where do you think the remainder of the fish go? Maybe, up north?

In all my years of fishing, I have seen more and more catch and release. One thing does stand out though. Walleye fisherman lag way behind in this area!

Bowfin are native to SC Mn.

We don't all a sudden need the lakes we've needed them for 10 years,

I'll E-mail any of the surveys to anyone that wants to see what the DNR has found this year and the other Peer Reviewed studys that pertain to Muskies effects on lakes and diets E-mail me at

[email protected]

I think Tetonka will be a great candidate given the fish already inhabits the lake and I believe the DNR would like to see this lake also.

Wow this is an interesting topic, I'm all for it as long as it's not Jefferson or German lol, I do believe however that there should be more muskie lakes in this area, I try and fish French a few times a year and everytime I go out there, it's like playing follow the leader around the few spots with ten other boats all casting away to the same spots over and over. Me personally I would think Francis has some great potential for the skies, given the structure and the layout of the lake, I think that this would be a better choice to stock, I feel Tetonka will suffer a bit in terms of other game fish and I also feel that Tetonka is a great lake that should be kept the way it is, Just my two cents. I do feel the skies take a toll on some of the other game fish but will add that they are a blast to target and I myself have noticed with my fishing, that as I progress in life and fishing I tend to want to target and set higher goals to achieve. Muskies are becoming my next target, as the the bar gets raised.

Muskie’s grow as large in Southern MN (French Lake) as they do in any other region or Lake in the State; this is due to ample food supplies of Rough fish, we have a virtual Valhalla of Muskie potential that is yet to be fully realized, many of our lakes in Southern MN have suffered with low water clarity issues and in some lakes massive overpopulations of Carp and Rough fish, French Lake was one of those lakes, consideration of southern MN is long overdue for Muskie stocking, especially considering many fish are raised to fingerling's in and around the Waterville hatchery and the results of the last 2 French Lake surveys.

Muskie’s diets were found to contain very few species of fish that may be of concern to Anglers, Bozek 1999 investigated 34 Northern Wisconsin lakes through the spring summer and fall, White Sucker and Yellow Perch where found to be the primary prey, additionally research done of stomach contents by MN DNR Biologists over many years on Taxidermy fish 40 inches or larger showed crayfish are a bigger part of the diet than Walleye, the Bozek study shows Muskie’s actually eat more small Muskie’s than Walleye in both volume and relative importance, revealing that invertebrates and non-fish species hold twice as much relative importance than Walleye despite being abundant on many of the lakes studied.

Muskie’s once thought to have extreme negative effects on Pike and Walleyes, were studied by Fayram in 2005, evaluating evidence of predation and competition between several species of fish including Walleye, Northern Pike, Smallmouth Bass, Largemouth Bass and Muskie, the findings came to a shock to some but were confirmed beliefs of many that fish lakes like Mille Lacs and Vermilion, in the study lakes the only fish that had a negative effect were Largemouth Bass, They found that “Largemouth Bass negatively effected the abundance of adult Walleye” during electro fishing studies, the Muskie electro fishing effort showed that “Muskie’s have a positive effect on the numbers of adult Walleye”, because Muskellunge abundances were positively correlated to Walleye abundances, direct competition or predation is unlikely to be occurring between these two species. As a result, “Muskellunge were not considered further”. Neither Northern Pike nor Smallmouth Bass catch values were significantly correlated to Walleye abundances, so Smallmouth Bass and Northern Pike were not considered further.”

Muskie’s are now being actively stocked in 41 MN lakes by the MN DNR there findings were focused on 7 species and lake classes these are the results of the preliminary draft given to us at the last Esocide workshop in June.

Northern Pike numbers declined in 3 individual lakes and increased on 2 with the weight of fish being no different across the state, the distribution of fish per netting or trap was similar to years before the Muskie was introduced.

Walleye Numbers Increased on 9 individual lakes and declined on 2, with a lack of year class stocking being sited in 1 of these lakes, the average weight was not any different statewide.

Yellow Perch numbers increased on 3 lakes, with no significant decreases and no difference statewide, with distributions of fish similar to before stocking.

Bluegill numbers increased on 2 lakes and showed no significant decline or statewide trends.

White Sucker numbers declined on 4 lakes and increased on 1, with no significant statewide or lake class trends.

Black Crappie numbers increased on 2 lakes in gill nets and showed no difference in trap nets, post stocking numbers were within or above in comparison with lake classes.

Tullibee showed no differences at any level before or after stocking.

Therefore the lack of any constant trends across any of these species lakes or lake classes combined with the fact that most of these lakes were considered above the average for their lake class and within the range expected suggests that Muskie coexist and have coexisted very well in these types of lakes and at the densities that the MN DNR Manages its Muskellunge program.

Although Muskie’s need to be managed in stocked lakes, they should be looked at more as a supplement or enhancement to not only anglers but to the entire ecological underwater environment.

We here in MN enjoy some of the best fishing on the planet and it’s all due to the hard work and dedication of a few individuals, Muskies Inc, MMA(Minnesota Muskie Alliance), a few dedicated publications and the MN DNR, when we can work together to manage the resource for the sake of the resource we hit a home run every time, as is evident in the Walleye and Sturgeon program on Rainy River, also the extensive regulatory needs that have been imposed on the “Walleye Factory” Mille Lacs, for Northern Pike, Smallmouth Bass, Muskie, including other regulations to lower mortality of all apex predators, it’s still hard for some to understand especially if these regulations temporarily or permanently effect their recreation, our hope is that we can all understand that regulations are imposed for the betterment and welfare of the ecosystem and not being used as a punishment for individuals or groups, we require these restrictions and regulations in order for all of us to continue to have great fishing and outdoor opportunities.

Muskie’s Inc, concerned citizens and the MMA have been talking to Politicians at Local, State and Federal levels, also communicating to the general public the need to release BIG FISH of all species, they are the future of our lakes, rivers and streams; we do this to make the overall fishing experience better for all anglers and outdoor enthusiasts.

Trophy fishing opportunities should be available for all species, because we love the outdoors and feel we need to protect the future for the next generation and all the outdoor pastimes that are represented in the state, this we not come easy but it is attainable with communication hard work and understanding.

Thank You

John Underhill

V.P.

Conservation Director

MMA Representative

Muskies Inc Southern Crossroads Chapter 54

References

Bozek,M.A. T.M. Burri, and R.V. Frie. 1999. Diets of Muskellunge in Northern Wisconsin lakes. North American Journal of Fisheries Management 19:258-270

Fayram A.H., M.J. Hansen, and T.J. Ehlinger. 2005. Interactions between Walleyes and Four Fish Species with Implications to Walleye Stocking. North American Journal of Fisheries Management25:1321-1330

MN DNR Preliminary Stocking Data 66-0038-00. 2007.

Fish Community Response to Muskie Introduction in Minnesota Lakes, MN DNR M.Knapp., S.Mero, and D. Bohlander. 2007.

Esocide workshops, MN DNR, 2006-2007

Pokegama stocking Proposal, MN DNR, 2007

I don't feel Tetonka or any lake will be any different than any other lake in MN that is Managed for Muskie as long as the lake fits the criteria for a Muskie Lake and thats not a given in So. MN, other than it will be a better and more diverse fishery, if you have questions or opinions please come to a MI meeting in Owatonna at the eagles 7 pm on the second Wed of the month it's open to the public and we would love to meet you.

John

Good information John. Thanks for sharing.

All,

You should take John up on his offer on attending a meeting of theirs in Owatonna. I just may do the same if I can find the time.

I would like to see Tetonka stocked with Ski's.....They are in there now so what is the big deal.. You still have enough pan fish and Walleyes and knowbody complain that there is not enough fish in the lake... Or have they.....We are talking about a fish....when it comes down to it IS for Fun when you catch a Fish and don't have a Smile on your face weather it is a 10lb carp or a 3 oz sunny....It is way cheaper to sell boat all tackle gas for boat fishing License and go drive to store and buy your fish.

Just one guys opinion

So, in short, All this "The Muskies will eat all the Walleyes in the lake." is just a bunch of B,S. Brought on by not knowing the facts.

It's funnie that it is always the Walleye that they think the Muskie will pick on. I guess that they think that the Walleye is such a superior fish that the Muskie must know this also and target Walleyes only just like they do. I wounder if there is a name for that kind of behavior?

muskyfool and musky 5555, I dont have a problem with the stocking of the fish itself in any lake, I have and will continue to cast for them myself! That being said lets talk about (musky fishermen) the people casting for them. I have a friend that owns a resort on Cass Lake, some of those people, were prefishing a tournament. I will call them those people because any of the fishermen i fish with or am willing to be associated with dont do these kinds of things, these people would block the opening to his cove and not let the paying customers in and out of the resort! Not just 1 of those people but ALL DAY LONG!!! he had to get his 22 ft. launch and keep going in and out of the cove to get those people to let his customers in and out! I hate to say this but, THOSE PEOPLE are the rudest nastiest (people) on the water, bar none! And if you care to change my, and many many other fishermans opinion of THOSE PEOPLE maybe its time to have a talk with them or maybe just dont do the things they do. This wasnt an isolated case, I have personally watched this behavior on quite a few lakes, thankfully none of the local lakes have been like this. I have fished French Lake quite a bit last year and was pleasantly suprised. Thanks to the local musky hunters!............ Todd

We're not going to waste our time classifying a group of fishermen and women that target a specific species of fish as being inconsiderate or rude or whatever, especially with the quality of information that has been shared to this point within this post. Fishermen and women prefishing or participating in walleye, crappie, bass, northern and catfish tournaments, at one time or another, could all potentially fall into the "category" you describe above. From time to time, a person's space becomes an issue, even on public water, and some handle it better than others. In the future, please rethink how you want to address a fellow sportsman or woman.

Wallyhunter, would you mind telling me what resort your friend owns on Cass? I think I know which one it might be from your description, but I'm not positive.

That being said, I agree with Team Otter that it isn't very fair to criticize just one group of fishermen. I am on Cass pretty much everyday during the summer. I can't even begin to tell you the number of times I've been cut-off, almost run over, moved in on, etc. And yes, it does happen quite a bit by muskie fishermen. But I think that the walleye fishermen (or any other fishermen for that matter) are as bad or even worse in some cases. For example, this past summer I was out muskie fishing and casting towards a weedbed. Then, along comes this boat trolling for walleyes. Sure enough he cruises along right in front of me (direction I was casting) within about 15 feet. Then, he turns around and proceeds to do that again and again and again...you get the point. He was so close that I could read the title and author of the book his wife was reading in their boat. That kind of stuff happens ALL THE TIME. When I go out fishing I always drive by the spot I want to fish first. If there is even ONE boat on that spot, fishing for whatever species, I'll go to a different one. I hate it when people crowd me, so I always try to give people fishing as much room as I can and treat them with the respect that I would want to be treated with. You mentioned that this incident happend during a muskie tournament. I had the chance to pre-fish with a team in the PMTT this past August. We talked about alot of things that day and one of them was angler ettiquette. They both agreed that no matter what, there will always be the guys that just don't give a rip and do whatever they please. It's these few people that tend to ruin it and cause sore feeling towards the whole group. The best thing you can do if you see this happen again, is to write down the boat number (usually on the outboard) and report it to the tournament director. The director then will take the proper measures to dicipline the team.

Just my two cents on the subject.....

T.O. sorry I didnt mean to have the musky hunters stereotyped. I dont think all fisherman, being musky, walleye, panfish, catfish or any others can be put in 1 group. That is the reason I called the offenders, THOSE PEOPLE. No grouping, I dont like being put in a certain catagory, so I try not to do it to others. I was in fact blasting the inconsiderate few that make life hard for all fisherman! I feel the DNR should be more involved with laws to keep this type of behavior to a minimum. For the most part it is not the fishermen that cause most of my problems. Its some of the other water sports. Hopefully I was non specific enough to be politically correct. Sorry again....Todd

Thanks for the explanation but in your original post there was definitely some categorizing going on. Just a heads up for future posts. Thank you.

Originally Posted By: wallyhunter66
That being said lets talk about (musky fishermen) the people casting for them. I have a friend that owns a resort on Cass Lake, some of those people, were prefishing a tournament. I will call them those people because any of the fishermen i fish with or am willing to be associated with dont do these kinds of things. I hate to say this but, THOSE PEOPLE are the rudest nastiest (people) on the water, bar none!

Now, let's get back to the discussion of muskie stocking.

Well, as I said, I throw a few bucktails myself so, I'm all for more toothy critters!!!! I dont believe they hurt a walleye population. Heck, I know quite a few guys that have boated the biggest walleyes they have caught on bucktails throwing for muskies.

Yup, you talk to the bass fishermen in this area (and me) and they'll tell you the same thing. They're fishing for something else and can't keep the 'eyes from leaving them alone.

One word; shallow.

Originally Posted By: Muddog

I have a hard time with this one.

The only water in the area that has Walleyes that spawn with success is the Mn River. Maybe the Cannon chain. All others are 100% stocked Walleyes! Walleye are native to Wisconsin.

Source?

Walleyes are native to most lakes that they now stock in this area. They may not have very successful spawns anymore, but that has to do with runoff, siltation, water quality factors, etc.

Now I know most lakes around here are put and take, but that doesn't mean they are not native to the lake. They are, just cannot sustain a fishhable population without a little help. Some spawning does take place in lakes around here, just not very successfully anymore.

Muskies on the other hand are not native our lakes. And yes, my grandpa used to spear Muskies out of Volney back in the day. I know all about the "history" behind most of these lakes.

I'm having a hard time putting "native" and "stocked" together. Yet another subject worthy of more education...

Hey neighbor.

If it drains by a river. your right.

The main thing I see is, Muskies are not nearly the enemy to the Walleye that the Largemouth Bass is. From what I have read; Stocking Walleye in a lake with a large population of Largemouth Bass will only help the largemouth Bass.

Almost all the Bass fishermen I know are 100% Catch and release.

Almost all the Walleye fisherman I know are 100% catch and eat.

The writing is on the wall and Muskies have nothing to do with it!

Originally Posted By: Muddog
Hey neighbor.

If it drains by a river. your right.

The main thing I see is, Muskies are not nearly the enemy to the Walleye that the Largemouth Bass is. From what I have read; Stocking Walleye in a lake with a large population of Largemouth Bass will only help the largemouth Bass.

Almost all the Bass fishermen I know are 100% Catch and release.

Almost all the Walleye fisherman I know are 100% catch and eat.

The writing is on the wall and Muskies have nothing to do with it!

I agree with you there and I have said earlier in this post that I think Muskies would have no negative effects to a walleye population.

Back in the day it might have been true that all walleye guys were catch and keep everything you catch. But most walleye guys I know are now more a mix of catch and release and catch and eat. If it is eating size, in the well, if it is too big or small, back in the lake. I have also heard from others that most lakes around here(ex. Madison, German, etc.) have some natives eyes, just not enough to sustain a fishable population, whether it is 100% true or not is anybody's guess. Anyways, that is not worth arguing over.

I am just worried that the lake will become overrun with ski fisherman, just like French has.

Gary, I know you fish Tetonka quite a bit. Would you like it if now all of a sudden every weekend morning you have big boats zooming all over the lake and filling up the landings? It will be like a bass tourney every weekend day out there.

I think it would be cool to have a fishable population of Muskies in the lake if there were more lakes to fish them on, heck I'd like to catch them too. But with their being really only one(French) and now add Tetonka on there, it will get lots of pressure all summer.

Most Hardcore muskie People don't fish muskie when water temp gets to high So you are looking at June to mid July then they wait till Late August and fall time is the best time when nobody is on the lake. Not saying there will be people fishing them....

I guess I wouldn't call 1300 acres very big. Neither of the accesses accommodate a lot of rigs either. It wasn't more than 10 years ago when rigs were parked all the way down the road on opening walleye weekend. I believe there are no parking signs there now.

Muskiefool

Did they do any testing to see if Muskies had an effect on Largmouth Bass numbers. They seem to share the same water temp. It would be somthing I would like to know.

Thank you.

I guess I would say tetonka to if I didn't live here. That lake is a walleye/crappie lake. Leave it that way. Katoguy is right, 2 small accesses with limited parking now. If you want to fish muskie, go north. T.O. you have mentioned before tetonka gets little fishing pressure, I would assume you fish it during the week. Fri-Sun in the summer with the 1000+ tourists, a decent summer sunfish/crappie bite, jet skiers, pontoon paraders, tubers and skiers and now throw muskies in the mix? Gotta remember, not everybody can fish lowlight/weekday hours.

I guess what I was referring to, more than anything, is that you can get to a lot of other water via Tetonka.