Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Paul

I broke my Stike Lite auger.......arghghhgh.

16 posts in this topic

It was inevidable, build and ice auger out of plastic and it broke. However since Strike master has awesome customer service, when I called them, they are shipping me out a replacement for free. Call tag coming in mail, prepaid ups. should have replacement in a week. I am impressed.

Wow -- that is good. What did you break?

I broke the acutall auger part. THe auger is made of Plastic around a steel shaft. The plastic flight broke drilling a hole. Sounds like it was a common problem last year with people using not following the directions for deep ice.

Weird -- I think my Strikemaster is a metal shaft. At least I hope it is metal.

hey -- what do you mean by "directions" for deep ice? There are directions for these things?

Great.

Well the gal on the phone told me that when using the srike-lite you are to pull the auger out a few times to remove the ice particles when drilling in deeper ice, other wise too much pressure will build up on the plastic auger and it will break,

Sounds like bad engineering on their part to me... but that is because and I am nerd/engineer. They probably should have tested it for 40+" of LOTW ice with an added safety factor so these things didn't happen but what do I know.

Yeah that is strange.

Like some say you can't use augers to re-open holes -- what is the pint then?

mine reopens pretty good. "jiffy" This year I got a slush bucket and it works awesome in the perm.

That a real bummer. I looked at those long and hard this year and was really close to picking one up. I really like the idea of running quiet and not having to mix gas. I wouldn't trade the 4-str on my boat for anything. The plastic auger was the real hang-up for me. Guess I'll wait till they make a 4 popper with a metal shaft. \:\( At least they were nice enough to replace it for you.

They designed the plastic part to deal with weight. If you guys want to get the 4 stroke motor and not have to deal with the plastic auger, just buy the powerhead and auger seperate. If it were me I'd go with a lazer auger and a Strikelight powerhead. Sorry about your broken auger but Strikemaster does have awesome customer service.

Quote:
If you guys want to get the 4 stroke motor and not have to deal with the plastic auger, just buy the powerhead and auger seperate.

I didn't know you could by them separate. Is that something you have to do factory direct?

Just contact Strikemaster, there customer service has been nothing but great to me over the years.

Paul, were you the guy I ran into at Gander Mountain by the cash register (Fargo) a couple weeks ago? I was the guy buying that Aqua View SRT floor model from them. You looked pretty frustrated working with the Gander boys over there. Good to hear it worked out for you in the end!

NO that was not me. I haven't been in Gander for over a month. I just called Strike master direct. It was amazing to me that they did not seem surprised that it broke and no questions I have will have a new one on the way. I will need to use it this satuday but on sunday I will take it apart and ship it to them. I should then in turn have a replacement auger by next friday.

Originally Posted By: Paul
It was amazing to me that they did not seem surprised that it broke and no questions

forgive me for this rant its not directed at anyone in particular..

I see a crowd of people on this site and others who are praising this company for their customer service! On one hand I agree that its their responsibility to keep you happy. but on the other hand, a company that could care less that they have ruined many a fishing trip and the fact that their parts are so cheap that they can afford to give them away when they charged you top dollar for the p-o-s in the first place. this isnt just ice augers, its many of the things we buy these days. Isnt it time we start demanding more value to what we spend our hard earned cash on? Or at the very least, be heard when you complain to them about the time off the ice because of their inferior part/s.

I happen to own 2 augers, one is a lazer mag others a jiffy, im not gonna brag about how either one operates, they both work great. be assured tho if something as vital as the handle breaks (or aurger bit!!!) on either they'll get way less than a polite phone call from me!

this kind of thing shouldnt happen!

Good luck Paul!