• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Itasca

Going up to the cabin this weekend and was wondering if anybody has been on itasca? How is the ice?(truck or atv travel) Hopefully the front will be through before the weekend.Thanks for any info

I checked the DNR web site and clicked on ice reports, then you can click on a region, and select Itasca. Anyways, they are still saying 10" in most spots and open water in others. This is the same thing that it has said for quit awhile though. If you get out report as to what you found. I would also like to get out there and chase some of those huge sunnies around whistle.gif

germanshorthairs. I haven't been on Itasca myself but i heard

there getting some on a smaller lake up there. i think the lakes name was something like ojebwe in 14-20 ft.

last weekend i was in park rapids fishing at our cabin on potato lake and i caught 2 nice 20" walleyes and busted my 30 lb steel leader on a very nice northern that i got up to the hole. but their is about 16" of ice in the east arm of potato and when i was walking around i found a few slush pockets.

I talked to a friend of mine that lives North of Park Rapids, he said as of last week around 10 inches of not so great ice, but this cold snap should be helping. He said 34 below a couple nights ago and below ever since. Good ice making weather.

One of my brothers lives about 15 miles South of Park Rapids,in Menagah and says they are driving all over the lakes there.

<FYI>

I drove down to the access on Itasca yesterday. There are two houses just south of the access.

It looks like no one is driving but using wheelers or snowmobiles to get around.

hey bob, did'nt i run into you up on itasca one day about 3 years ago? i have a cabin on lake alice.

Originally Posted By: POUNDPANNIES
hey bob, did'nt i run into you up on itasca one day about 3 years ago? i have a cabin on lake alice.

If your old log in was "booner buck" or something like that. I am the same person.

yeah it was, i forgot my old password on here so i had to change my id, planning on hitting itasca soon? i have been thinking about coming up, just hope to hear something good before i do. things still pretty rough on the lakes up there? might just have to hit up alice even though i can't figure that lake out.

take it easy bob, maybe i will see up that way soon.

Be VERY cautious on Itasca, I had some clients in earlier of

the month and they stated that there was still open water

around Schoolcraft Island. Apparently about 15-20 feet wide.

The locals believe a new spring may be causing the open water.

Originally Posted By: POUNDPANNIES
take it easy bob, maybe i will see up that way soon.

I am usually on the ice a the least three day a week weather permitting.

Same truck,but now I have a clam guide.

See you on the ice.

alex1,

All you need is a park pass for your vehicle and the proper

registration for your 4-wheeler to be legal. You can always

by-pass the check stations by entering the park on "no name"

road and hope no one is checking vehicles for park stickers!

Thanks for the info PRWoody, the vehicle has a state park sticker as we make 2-3 trips up to Itasca a year. I jsut didn't know if we needed anything for wheeler as we've never done any ice fishing up there in the park.

Had a client in yesterday and he stated the open spot froze

over and had a good 12" of ice. Apparently the locals are

plowing on Itasca, but the fishing has been very slow. He

did state that Long Lake north of Itasca on highway 200 has

been hot for trout.