Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Trytti

Shack Repair? Need help! Free stay to duck hunt in ND!

9 posts in this topic

HELP!

Just got and email from the Red Door and apparently our 8'X18' shack is untowable. They said where the floor joists meet the skids the wood has rotted. Apparently the previous owner had patched it with 2X12's but they rotted over the summer and we just found out now or we would have fixed last summer.

My question is, does anyone know anybody in the area that would be willing to fix our shack? (For a fee of course)

We are 5 hours away in Winona and it is a real pain to have to try to repair it ourselves, but will if we have too...

My co-owner and I also own a house in North Dakota and anyone that could fix the shack could use our house in ND. next year for a waterfowl hunt.(We would work out the details) It is about 60 miles south of Devils and we have access to some very good private land.

Any help would be appreciated and beers would be on us when we got up there next weekend the 25th.

Thanks again!

Reply to this post or email me direct at etrytten@hotmail.com

A lot of resorts have peoplr that will put new skids on. I would ask the owners at the Red Door and they might point you in the right direction. Good luck

Thanks for the info Doublelunger, I asked the Red Door and they weren't much help. I don't think we need new skids. I think the problem is where they attach to the joists on the house. I will maybe talk to some of the neighboring resorts to see if they have some names and give them some new business.

What i do is put on a peice of 1/2 flat stock iron screwed through the frame and the skids. This takes off some of the torque that's generated when getting pulled and holds the two together very well.

I meant bolted through, not screwed.

Thanks for the tip! I could fab those before I leave... Just wish we would have taken the time to look at it before so I new what size/measurements would work... I don't imagine there are many "standards" out there when it comes to ice houses... At least we know where to start. I do work for the largest fastener distributor in the US so I should be able to get my hands on a few bolts... Ha Ha!

Fastenal ehh? I used to do a lot of work with them. That tip that Doublelunger gave is a pretty good tip and I might use that when I build a house.

Yep, Fastenal Blue for 12 years now...

I am going to try doublelungers tip if i can't find anyone local before I go up next weekend. I don't imagine anyone is going to want to work in the icebox this weekend.

Hey, no problem. Hope it works. The peices i use are about 6 inches wide by 9 inches long. Holes drilled about an inch and a half down and in from the edges. Remember the bolts you need may be different in length because your frames is probably only 2by6 and your skids are probably a lot thicker. Good Luck