Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
talltines

? to Sportland Bait

9 posts in this topic

Jason, can you help me identify the three shiner minnows that are commonly found at mn. bait shops? I have been told, golden, river run, and the arkansas. The arkansas and goldens look identical except the arks. are silver. the river run is more rough fish looking. I really don't like to use the scrappy looking ones but, have had to this year. Never catch any eyes with them. hope you can give me some insight.

The most common three to the Brainerd area are the true MN goldens which will vary in size from about 2-5 inches. They usually sport a real golden color. The Arkansas shiners typically are a little bigger in weight but will run 2-6 inches. They will vary in color between a silver/blue tone to a deep gold. The silver shiner is a river shiner. The silver has a slender profile and will run from 2-6 inches. Silvers are a little more common early in the winter. Some shops will carry them year round. Pike fishermen usually like them but for walleyes goldens are the most popular.

Jason Erlandson

jason, thanx for that info. a bait store in st.cloud told me that the arkansas are illegal and there were only silver and goldens. I knew he had no idea what was what by the cheezy little bait den he was operating. the minnows he sold me were 90% dead after a 20 min. shot to the lake. thanx again.

Jason, are there some new regs out regarding transporting minnows for sale into MN from another state.... I seem to recall hearing something about this but no real details?

Or maybe this was a rumor...

You guys were not really misinformed. There are some serious changes that have taken place within the minnow business. Shiners are one of the minnows that will feel the pressure. I believe that importing bait into Minnesota is coming to an end. From what I have heard it all started with the guys and shops that started bring in the rosey reds and has led to shiners among others. I am not sure how it will all end up. I guess time will tell.

Jason Erlandson

Jason, I am starting to put this together I think, the arkansas are the same minnow species as the goldens, but are raised in the huge minnow factories in arkansas hence the term "arkansas" when refering to them?? Man I hope so, otherwise I am still confused on the subject. Notemigonus Crysolevcas. The ones we refer to as goldens are captured here in mn. giving them the darker color? YEANO?

Talltines I think you pretty much got it. A golden shiner is a golden shiner but they will have various size and color differences based on where they come from.

Jason Erlandson

So, as a practical matter, is availability/price suffering yet from the new regulation?

So far the price has remained the same but I know that availability is getting tougher and tougher. We have been around for 30some years so we are in good shape but I know that many convenience stores and newer stores have had a tough time getting shiners. Word is in the future we could see some outrageous prices for shiners, similar to redtail chubs. I'm guessing more fish farms in MN will start raising Goldies. It is an expensive process so will likely lead to higher prices for the consumer.

Jason Erlandson