Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sportland_Bait

10 Days and counting! Sportland Report

4 posts in this topic

Well we are now only 10 days away from the great winter Extravaganza. 3 hours of fishing excitement here on Gull Lake. The conditions are really good out there now and getting better as we have hit this cold front which is pushing temps into the negatives. It should really be driving that ice down over the next few days. I was out chasing walleyes last night on Gull. I measured about 15 inches where I was. The latest reports this week have still been decent. It has started to slow a little but anglers are still picking up a few walleyes on Gull. The crappies are starting to bite pretty good now on most of the smaller lakes. Just start looking in the deeper basins for crappies. We'll see what happens out there with this cold front. It is the first real front that we have had since the season got started. I'm sure that we will be swamped again next week with the contest but I will keep updating through the week. Remember to stop in and grab the luckiest bait in the country. We have a history of producing the contest winners. Plus parking is right across the street for the shuttles.

I am predicting a decent walleye will win it this year. We have caught and released a number of nice walleyes this winter on Gull. There have been a number of fish in the 25 inch range. Jigging spoons have produced the biggest fish. There have also been a ton of nice perch this winter so expect to see them on the board as well. Waxies are probably a good option. Whatever happens it will be a fun day. Take care and good luck!

Jason Erlandson

The last word you said Jason I think will help the person win out of the thousands that will be out, LUCK!!! Your other

point is well taken also, have FUN!!!!

SEE YOU ALL ON THE ICE

Daryl Ekstrom

Luck is great to have on your side. There have been some of the best fishermen I know that have never won anything and I know lots of rookies to ice fishing that have walked away with some tremendous prizes. I think if we go into it with the right attitude it will always be a great time. You just never know when the big one will come along and hit.

Jason Erlandson

Just got off the lake with the Sheriff and maesured ice at 17 - 19". I'm thinking we are going to need extensions on the augers when we have 120 volunteers drill 20,000 holes. Maybe the thicker ice will quite things donw and shield the shaddows so the bigger fish will come in like they use to? With the forcast looking at a warm up beginning on Wednesday, I'm guessing there will be some larger fish caught this year. With 17 years experience, I'd suggest a chsel and keep light so you can move!