• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Need a new friction call.

Tipup101

I gave my old trusty power crystal to a kid while guiding in Nebraska last year. What should I replace it with? So many to choose from they all sound good. I'm still gonna get another power crystal. It could cut threw the wind so well. Loved that call hope he is using it.

Funny you say that. My power crystal is sitting on a Nebraskan hillside at this very moment!

Everybody's tastes are so unique/different, esp. if you're guiding. You've probably been hunting long enough to have specific tastes, and types of vocalizations you like to make on a slate.

Out west or in other more open parts of the country, many use higher frequency aluminum or crystal surfaces to cut the wind and reach out there. For where I hunt, I really like to use slate calls with soft true-slate surfaces. Clucks and purrs, maybe some subdued yelping; that's about all I use slate calls for. Chris Walls of Wall's Calls gave me a chance to try some of his custom calls last year and I like them for that. I don't know where he gets that slate from, but it's so much softer, with better tone than I've found on production calls.

My recommendation, is go to Cabelas/Gander when they put out their turkey gear, and give everything a good hard play. If something is scuffed or overly worn, ask a sales associate to get a new one out of the package. They'll typically do it for you. You'll be amazed at how terrible some of those production calls sound. You'll also be amazed at how good some of them sound.

Joel

I was never comfortable with any of the slate calls I owned. Last year I bought this Pro Custom direct from Cane Creek Calls and just love it! I used it for the Wisconsin season last year and called in a 23 and 25 lb bird for myself and my partner.

Cane Creek glass or crystal?

I used to like slate, but now lean to glass.

Also called in a nice tom with an aluminum call.

Number one rule I have is - you need to be confident in your calling with any call you use in the field. If you are hesitant, success may not be in the cards.

You do not have to sound perfect, what turkeys do. But you do need to be convincing --- "excited" that the gobbler wants you.

I get sick of dragging along alot of calls. But i'm thinking i'm gonna go with a little of everthing. Late last year all that worked was my buddys H.S. tripple glass. I'll end up three four friction calls before spring.

The Cane Creek call is glass. I usually now only carry this call with a couple different strikers and two box calls along with an assortment of mouth calls.

I agree that the best calls to use are the ones you are comfortable with and have confidence in.

Originally Posted By: DonBo
I agree that the best calls to use are the ones you are comfortable with and have confidence in.

This is so true. I'm terrible with mouth calls cause I have a weird pallet size. I've really come to love pot and peg calls, but I haven't gotten too much into working with different materials. They are my go-to calls for sure. I also haven't found a box call that I love so I fall back on my slates.

I keep 2 different slates with 3 pegs. I found a purpleheart wood striker that sounds amazing. Its got me hooked, I only hope the toms love it too.

I have called MN gobblers in with mouth, pot, and box calls. What works on one bird or one day or one season may not work the next.

Be nice to carry one call, but that is not reality of turkey hunting. At least if you plan on consistently working birds in close.

Originally Posted By: jnelson
Funny you say that. My power crystal is sitting on a Nebraskan hillside at this very moment!Joel

I once left a bagfull of calls on a Nebraska hillside for a full year myself. Funny thing is, my old box call has never sounded better. \:D

I made a custom friction call. I use Slate, Glass, Crystal, Aluminum, and copper surfaces with any wood for the pot

Here is a laminate call I made for the MN NWTF homemade callmakeing contest. It getting judged today.

Its Walnut and Curly Maple Slate/Slate Call

The striker is a laminate Walnut and Maple

[Note from admin: Edited. Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.]

IMG_3647.jpg

IMG_3645.jpg

-Kevin

Kevin,

I hope your call does really well. I'm hoping to experiment with some call making in the near future (leaving it vague for a reason!)

For now I've been wandering around Cabela's and Gander trying every call they have out. My wife knows a trip to either store is at leas 60-90 minutes minimum, mostly for call testing.

Hoping to add a slate and another box.

Well done my friend! Those things look like buttah! sweet talking and smooth, and best of all, homemade. Nothing like taking a bird on something you carved up.

Was in Cabelas on Saturday. Not too much selection yet. On-site calls does not match their catalog internet list.

I heard Rye won two divisions. He is a very good call maker out of AR and sells his calls on ebay and on his web site. Quality calls.

Taking second behind this guy - you should be proud. Great job.

I can use all the info possible,I am looking for a new slate myself[glass/crystal/aluminum??] something e-a-s-y. I don't want to mess up [bad sound] when the nerves hit me with a boss tom coming my way. Thanks

Friction calls typically have a slate or glass surface. The next "generation" surfaces availabe are crystal, aluminum, and now copper. They key to good sound on any friction surface is proper conditioning the surface. Each surface does have a different technigue for conditioning (roughing up the surface so striker makes noise).

The pot of the calls varies too. The type of pot influences sound. Commercial grade (low price end) friction calls use plastic and metal as the pot. Some higher priced commercial grade calls also use wood. Custom grade pot calls use either wood (every type imaginable) and materials such as Corian. The wood grain and finish (and builders reputation) largely determines the cost of the custom call.

Most pot calls also have a sound board inside the resonating chamber (between surface and pot). This sound board can be any of the surface materials above or plastic or wood. Sound board makes a difference in sound.

Striker: wood (straight and bell or flared tip), plastics, etc.. Change the striker and you change the sound of your call.

Practice, practice, practice and remember turkeys often respond to calling that you may think sounds off. By have several pot calls and maybe even more strikers - you can find the combination that works that day.

Quote:
Friction calls typically have a slate or glass surface. The next "generation" surfaces availabe are crystal, aluminum, and now copper. They key to good sound on any friction surface is proper conditioning the surface. Each surface does have a different technigue for conditioning (roughing up the surface so striker makes noise).

Good stuff! The greatest friction calls poorly conditioned are tough to get almost any turkey sound out of.

Joel

I condition my calls with

100 grit for all glasses, crystals and aluminum

A stroc-brit pad for slate and anodized aluminum

Just my 2 cents

-Kevin