Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chode2235

Peace and Quiet the weekend of the Fishing Extravaganza?

9 posts in this topic

I love going visiting the in-laws, who live on the Gull Lake chain, during the winter. The ice fishing is great, and the crowds and the hassle that you often have to deal with on the weekends in the summer are gone for the most part. Its a great time of the year to relax on the lake.

Anyway, I just realized that our next visit up will be over the weekend of the Fishing Extravaganza. I have purposefully avoided that weekend in years past due to perceived lack of peace and quiet which I enjoy so much in the winter.

Will it still be possible to find a some peace and quiet on the chain during the Fishing Extravaganza, will it be easy to find bait, should I wear blaze orange to avoid being hit by a snowmobile? Suggestions on flying under the radar are welcomed.

Not to seem antisocial or cranky, but I have always appreciated the quiet contemplation which has traditionally coincided with my winter visits to Nisswa.

You might actually find more peace and quiet since 10,000 people will be on one little bay on Gull. Which usually equates to less people elsewhere in the area.

Bait is rarely a problem as most of the local shops seem to stock up really well prior to the event.

And no, don't wear blaze orange. It only makes you easier to see which makes you a better target! ;\)

Ha, good point.

you should have most of gull or nearby smaller lakes all to yourself

Just thought I'd add that the area in general quiets down pretty fast after the event also.

Yeah, I guess my main concerns is getting a good table at Rafferty's that evening. \:\)

Yeah it is a little busier in the area that weekend but there are still plenty of places to fish. Try some of the smaller lakes for crappies and sunfish. Don't worry about bait we are always full for contest weekend. If we run low we just make a call and they send more out to us.

Jason Erlandson

Is it safe to drive my truck out on the ice? How much do you have on Gull with the recent cold snap?

I just talked to one of our guides that has some rental fish houses out on Gull. He said they have been driving out for about a week now and they have between 16-20 inches on the north end of the lake. The conditions have been good just be careful for any new cracks that may have appeared. We haven't seen any bad ones yet but you never know when one might pop up.

Jason Erlandson