Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
blackdog1101

Minnetonka Crappie Report

15 posts in this topic

Fished Minnetonka tonight from about 4:30 - 7:00. Caught about 25 crappies in 32 feet of water, fish seemed to be holding pretty close to the bottom. Drilled a few holes, deeper seemed to be better, a hole in 25 feet was idle. Used a 1/100 oz jig with a chartreuse Gulp maggot under a spring bobber. Kept a limit of fish. Bites were light, and up takes seemed to be about as common as down takes. Lots of fun except for the wind.

Nice. Good report.

I have only fished Tonka twice this year, both times in the past week. I was fishing in about 15 fow and had fish coming up as far as 7 feet above the bottom. I also had good action, lots fo bites and lots of fish caught, even though it was a very different pattern than what you found. Interesting.

Thanks for the report. I haven't been out on tonka for a week now. I was having luck for crappies in 25 ft. Sounds like they are moving deeper and biting lighter.

deeper and deeper, and smaller and smaller bait.

never fished tonka, any tips on where to find a few spots?

Black, Seton, and Phelps are good places to start. I was catching them 6 1/2, 10, 12 and 15 feet down in 20 fow and some of them did have size to them.

Grays Bay and Crystal bay are good for panfish.

Was on grays yesterday and caught a couple of crappies and sunnies no real size though. Were are the slabs on Tonka?

Nice report. thanks for the details. I have some of those gulp maggots too, I may have to bring them along on saturday and try them out. I love those things, they are tough to get off the hook and they are cheap. One bottle goes a very long way.

GoggleEye

What size are decent/nice/slab crappies?

i saw there is a ton of house out in the middle of the lake on the north end by cr 51

Originally Posted By: Slabby

I would say anything over 12" and you should be smiling, over 13" and you did real good, over 14" you need to post a picture for us all to see. Anything over that and you caught yourself a true pig.

I like to keep/eat them around 11", at that size they clean up easy enough without an electric filet knife.

LB

Originally Posted By: Slabby

For me, a "slab" crappie is 12". I caught one the other night. A "keeper" it longer than the span of my hand, which is 8 1/2". For sunnies I'm less selective, about 6" would be a keeper.

Time for me to hang it up for Tonka walleyes and start searching for crappies! Any reports of late? Probably search a spot tonight and see if I can locate some. Would like to hook into a 14"+ class fish as a goal (for the season, that is).

Good luck - they are in there as the crappie contest always has a 2 lber to win.