Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LindyRig

Battle Creek lake

10 posts in this topic

So I drive by that lake two times a day, and I see a bunch of people fishing that lake. Anyone ever have luck ice fishing on it? If so what they getting out there?

I always see a bunch of people fishing on it but I have never tried it either. Couple years ago a buddy told me there was some good Bass fishing and occasional nice Crappie.

For the most part I think the people are chasing pike. The lake has a decent population that is made up mostly of smaller fish but it does put out some bigger fish. Ive never done very well for bass (summer) their are crappies and 'gills but nothing spectacular. There shouldnt be any walleyes in it. Most of the lake is less than 5' and thick with weeds and one small deeper area about 18-20'. You'll see people driving but use caution there is an aerator on the lake.

Speaking of aerators ... This morning there were three full-size trucks parked about 25 feet from the open water area. They probably had to chip the ice off their windshields from all of the water vapor rising from the open area and then condensing. I'm amazed at their luck.

I haven't had luck with a tipup there myself, but have seen others catch them. I've caught some decent gills and crappie out of the deeper hole, but you have to do a lot of sorting.

yeah a freind of mine went out there twice this year chasing pike no fish

Two years ago. Some idiot pulled a jon boat out on the ice and launched it, in that small aerator hole. He tried to fish the open water. He wound up having to get help out of there, because the ice was breaking when he tried to get off.

Jon boat next to an aerator. That's either a great story or a fine urban legend - although I'm inclined to believe it considering some of the things you see on the water.

We fished Battle Creek once this year & I've been amazed, that day & every time I've driven by it since, at the crowds. I suspect he pike are fasting until the day there aren't sixty wounded, impaled suckers dangling below the ice that thirty people & ATVs & trucks are making ring like a bell in that shallow little lake.

Originally Posted By: Maximum12
I suspect he pike are fasting until the day there aren't sixty wounded, impaled suckers dangling below the ice that thirty people & ATVs & trucks are making ring like a bell in that shallow little lake.

If one of those pike take a stab at one of those poor impaled suckers, there will be 59 other lines all tangled up because of how close everyone is too... \:D

That must have been the same guy I saw about four years ago. He inched his way out to the edge of the ice/open water clinging to that jon boat, drilled his hole and started fishing all within reach of that little green boat! That spot he fished at must be amazing for all the trouble he went through.