Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NorthMNdrifter

Kabekona Lake Fishing

14 posts in this topic

Howdy all,

I just moved south of Bemidji, in the Guthrie area, used to live on east side of Lk Bemidji, and I'm going start fishing Kabekona Lake..... Any suggestions... How has the bite been lately? Walleyes through the ice?

I'm a tranplant from the Northshore also and used to fish trout quite a bit, thus I noticed that Kabekona had Lake trout planted in it, has anyone caught any? Any suggestions?

Any comments would help...

I am from the Laporte area originally and can honestly say that I haven't had great luck there in the winter. The lake does well for perch and spearing, but it has so much structure that it can be difficult to find a consistent walleye spot. Had some friends who parked in one spot most of the winter and had days of 5-6 nice walleyes and days with absolutely nothing. I would just move around til you find them. Good luck!

I'm originally from Laporte myself, I'm usually on the womens forum under the post name of "I ice fish in my sleep". Maiden name was Gendron. Do you know me? I ice fish on Bemidji now. Love it!!!! Diana

I definitely know the Gendron name. I know Larry and his daughter Tara from school. My name is Dave Zothman, I went to BSU and spent a lot of time on Bemidji summer and winter. Have you done well on Bemidji this year?

Hey it's a Laporte reunion!!!

Hey Chris, are you the guy that worked at the print shop at BSU? I worked all through college at the info desk in the union.

I used to live on Kabekona creek within a mile of Laporte, but never fished Kabekona. If fished Garfield a few times with a few nice eyes once and a while but always lots of pout in the deeper water.

Lake trout in Kabekona? Really? is there any size to them?

What a small world after all. Hey Chris, I think your the only one that posted that I know. It seems all the names I hear in Laporte these days have changed. Dave my fish house has been moved three times now. I'm finally on my spot from last year and it's been a lot better. It's mostly a day fishing hole, catching perch and once in while I'll get a walleye, last year I didn't see as many walleye's but it was clear thick ice last year. With all the early snow they have moved into deeper water, I'm at 26'. Love ice fishing, I'm not one to stand out in the elements. I used to spear fish with my Dad on Garfield, got a monster Northern one time I remember well! Nice to hear from you Chris, I watched the fishing video with you, and your wife! I read Paul Nelson's column every friday. I don't have much time on the computer this morning so I have to run. Have fun fishing! Diana

The DNR has been planting them in pretty good numbers for quite a while now... The only thing is nobody fishes for them around here.... The DNR is practically begging for info on anyone catching trout in the lake...

.. Oh yeah... I actually live just north of Guthrie...

I grew up on the lake and fish it alot. I know of 2 lake trout caught over a 30 year period and the most resent was 20 years ago. I was under the impresion that the DNR gave up on lakers on Kab but could be wrong.

If you look at the DNR planting charts they put approx. 11,000+ yearling Lake Trout in per year during the years of 2000, 01, 02, 03, and 2004...

If the lake has suitable habitat for lakers (which kabekona apparently does) why wouldn't the stocking work? What other factors may come in to play here? Even if it's a situation where nobody fishes for them, they should still be showing up in test nets. I hope it does workout though, you can never have enough lakes with lake trout.