Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JBMasterAngler

Sugar Lake Ice?

8 posts in this topic

Wondering if the ice is drivable? With this cold spell I'd imagine I could go all over this weekend. It'll be cold, but looking to set up some tip ups for northerns.

I was out on the north end about 2 weeks ago and there was 14 inches where I was at, (I managed to get 1 eye about 21'')

P.S. Remember that Sugar has a slot limit on the pike.

I plan on accessing at the north launch and fishing right outside the bay. I remember a sign at the launch encouraging people to keep their limit of small pike...what is the slot? I guess it doesn't really matter, I don't intend to keep anything.

24"-36" must be released immediately-- Crappie limit is only 5.

I heard someone went through about....couple weeks ago now, on the North end. Anyone else know about that? I love that lake for first ice, and got a few new spots in mind. Wondering. Thanks!

I went out today from noon til 5. I probably should've stayed longer but 5 hours with only a few perch nibbling at my minnows is long enough. I noticed a lot of people driving on about 4pm. Tried a few different spots and depths ranging from 7-30 feet. Ice ranged from about a foot to 17 inches depending on where I was. No northerns or walleyes. Didn't even see a sunfish or a crappie. So I go to leave up the access near 24 and it's solid ice. I made it about 10 feet before I decided to drive to the access on 7. That's a long trip. Made it up that one just fine.

I fished there about a week ago and had 14" where I was on the north end. Like said before alot of peole came onto the lake about 4-4:30.

how is the lake for early ice walleyes? I got a job about 5 miles from the north end and was am trying to find a good early ice walleye lake.