Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
zelek

Grease compatibility

5 posts in this topic

I just pumped some Evinrude/Johnson Marine EP/Wheel Bearing Grease into the bearings of a Sled Bed trailer I picked up a couple of weeks ago. Right after....I notice it says to only use "Lithium Complex NLGI consistency #2 grease". I'm quite certain that's what it had from the factory as the guy I bought it from said he never serviced the bearings. (He bought it new in the spring of '06 and hardly used it).

Does anyone know if these two types are compatible?? I was hoping I could wait until summer to inspect & repack the bearings.

I always heard not to mix grease for bearings. I'm not entirely sure why you shouldn't (never asked). If there is a good reason I am sure somebody will share it.

I can't tell you that those 2 brands are not compatible but I can tell you that you do not want to mix calcium based grease with lithium based grease as they will "cake up" when mixed and not provide proper lubrication.

It may be wise to tear them down now and clean and re-pack the bearings to be sure. It will cost you some $ to replace the seals now, but as they say, "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure".

I always feel real sorry for those guys broke down along the road with bearing failures. A lot of times it results in damaged hubs, axles and wheels.

All lithium and lithium complex greases are compatible to mix - any and all brands - synthetic and non-synthetic.

Some other base types may or may not be compatible to mix. Urea base or calcium base will not mix with lithium base. (Urea base is used for a few water-resistant greases. Calcuim base is more popular in food-grade/industrial grease.)

The good news - the vast majority of consumer greases are either lithium (cheaper, lesser quality) or lithium complex (better). When you don't know, it is fairly save to assume that someone else would probably have used a lithium or lithium complex.

As a note: AMSOIL Multi-purpose GLC, Heavy Duty GHD, Water-resistant GWR, Racing GRG are all lithium-complex base. AMSOIL Food grade is Calcium base.

good info! thanks!