Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hondavxr

1/14/08 report

10 posts in this topic

Today was a chilly one. My fishing partner the dog didnt want to be out there for sure. I fished on the WI side again in about 36 ft of water. Today was a bit slower than last time I was out there. Less fish were being marked on the Marcum. I did manage three slabs for the fryer, and a few other little ones. I lost one right at the top of the hole that was pushing 14+ inches, this fatty actually made my drag come on. Looks like live bait was the key, and the live bait had to be jigged for the fish to commit. Dead sticking only caught the little ones. Stay safe and good luck out there. Here is a pic of one of the slabbers I caught, this one was 13 inches.

slab114ed0.th.jpg

What, no sheepies! Nice fish Honda, I gotta get down there and poke around a bit.

Tunrevir~

hey hondavxr, just have a question? How far from shore on wi side that you would recommend to fish for a first timer? Havent been out there yet, still waiting to fix the auger. Targeting any kind of action. Any info would help.

Thanks.

Fishaholic, you don't have to go far if you go on the WI side. A few hundred yards and your in the depth. You will see a shack south, and a few people have fished there. Hope you have some good luck out there. I will be there this weekend! Good luck!

Ive always wanted to ice fish the river, but nobody ever wants to go with me. I dont like to go alone, just in case. River crappies, maybe some white bass, walleye, i wouldnt be surprised if I caught a toilet seat from there.

thanks for the info lindyrig...im going to get the auger going and also try to head out there this weekend especially with the cold front, ice should be real good.

Most people you see will drive up North, but you don't have to do that to get them nice paper lips. Most will tell you to go North, but you don't have to. I will fish the MN and WI side this weekend. Why not try all over if you ask me.

Originally Posted By: fishkaholic
hey hondavxr, just have a question? How far from shore on wi side that you would recommend to fish for a first timer? Havent been out there yet, still waiting to fix the auger. Targeting any kind of action. Any info would help.

Thanks.

Fishaholic, just go to the WI side and try fishing anywhere from 28-40 depth. The crappies on the Croix like to migrate so sometimes if you sit in the right spot long enough they will come. I think the shanty town is a spot that the slabbers always migrate through. Since its your first time, just stay around the shanty town and your bound to catch something. The slabs seem to be the ones suspended higher in the water column around 6-10 above the bottom, and the little ones are usually the ones at the bottom. Jigging live bait has been the key for me. My luck with the sheepies and white bass this year has not been good. grin.gif Maybe I am losing my touch. If you guys are heading out give me a holla I might tag along sometime. Good luck yalls and stay safe.

Nice report once again Honda! Thanks for all of the up to date facts. I like it when a guy will post what is true and not true. Good luck out there. It takes a bit of searching in both the winter and the summer to find the fish.

Tunrevir~

Went out this afternoon for only the second time on the croix this hardwater season.The first time only had a couple of small crappie, but I'm glad I went back. Ended up with about 10 crappie in about 1 hour with a couple of those nice slabs.13.5 inchers. What a blast. Unlike what I've been reading, mine came on a demon jig tipped with a waxie. Tried minnows with no success. Hope to get back out this weekend!!! Oh yeah,34 feet of water and they were coming in up to 10 feet off the bottom.