• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Gull Lake fish house break in

Someone tried to break into my fish house either late last night or early this morning.

All who have fish houses on Gull be aware that we now have a problem on the lake.

I am located on the southern 1/3 of the lake not too far from Squaw Point.

This is the first time that I have had a problem with this in years... Car and/or truck tracks up to my house so it was not someone on a snowmobile or wheeler.

Sorry to have to report something negative!!!

Sorry to hear that Joel. We will spread the word. Hopefully it wasn't too bad.

Jason Erlandson

That really sucks. I only have a portable so I dont have that problem. I always think it would be nice to have a good wheeled shack until I hear something like this. If I did have a shack on the ice I think the best thing to do would be take everything with you and leave the house unlocked. It would be nice to leave everything so it is ready for you the next time but its not worth the risk. Same problem, different year/lake.

No Jason it could have been a lot worse... I had a fish house on Minnetonka totally trashed quite a few year ago when I lived down there...

I am not leaving much in the house when I leave at night. I learned that the hard way on Minnetonka!

I wonder if someone makes an alarm system for a fish house?

Pretty sad when you live in this wonderful area and you have to worry about stuff like this...

Guys, thanks for the concern!!!

JC, I've been thinking about an arlarm system. If you know how to work it, you could have a magnet strip on the door and when the magnets are seperated, it sends a signal to a cell phone and calls yours.

It sounded like a good idea when I told it to myself but I can see problems with it already.

We were out on the lake off of the White House Bar on Friday - Sunday. On Saturday we heard an alarm go off most of the morning. Later that morning one of the owners of a fish house came over and said he was broken into Friday evening or Saturday morning. Also we noticed a fish house next to it with it's door opened so we went and closed it. It looked like the house was ransacked.

Any problems with the houses just north of Earnies. Mine is there and I am in Chicago and can't check it until this weekend.

Pegleg is on his way up there to pull his house off the lake. We were in that area this weekend. What does your house look like i ll see if he can take a look while hes on the lake for you.

JConrad, thanks for the heads up on the break ins... as soon as I saw your note I took off for Gull to pull my house home. Randallt, I drove from Ernies along the shoreline down to the White House Bar. I didn't see any breakins but I didn't drive totally around every house.

Thanks again JConrad... I hope there wasn't much damage to your house.

Thanks for the info guys. I don't know where white house bar is. My house is along the shore toward Bow Tie Flat, but not quite to it.

I have a friend in Baxter that is on his way to take a look and is going to fish it the next couple of nights. He obviously has a heads up to look for unusual behavior.

Where is White House Bar?

White House Bar is north of Ernies but south of the boe tie bar on the east side of Gull. It is shore line structure that goes out into the lake with 2 little bars further into the lake. There were about 5 houses along the white house bar this morning and now it is down to about 4 houses.

I better get out there tonite. Anyone hear of any break ins on the north end of the lake? Man would I like to pull up to a stranger in my fish house!!!

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.