• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Coyote Trapping?

shae1986

Ok Here's my problem. I have these coyotes on the land we bow hunt and its time for them to go. i have now resorted to the trapping aspect of things. So basically I am asking for help since i know about little about trapping coyotes. The scent free part and the silent part I understand and i think i know how to make a set from all i have read on this site. Basically what i would like to know is what you use for an attractant and what size traps you use and what you use to stake down the traps. Thanks guys, i would really like to hit these before my friend starts dropping calves. We dont need any problems with these coyotes and the calves this year.

Thank You

Andrew

Ever considered calling the coyotes? Once the calving starts, the coyotes will be around all the time, so calling them with a howler could be easily done, along with just waiting for them to show up. I have seen then show up in the middle of the day during calving.

Hey Shae, you could call the coyotes like picks says, or you could trap or snare them. I have to say that my first option would be to snare the yotes. If you see lots of yote sign, certain trails that they always use, I would hang some snares. If they wonder here and there, I think I would start some bait piles. By this I mean I would drag a car killed deer out there, or use some beaver carcuses out there. I would let the yotes feed on them for a week or two, and then hang snares on the trails they use to come and go from the piles.

If you have your mind made up to trap them, it can be done. It is harder with snow on the ground, but not impossible. I would use a 1 3/4 double coil spring trap. I would hook this trap to a drag, because it's tuff to get a trap stake in the ground right now. I would then find an opening in the woods or along the edge of a field or fence line, and clear a spot out with a shovel. I then take a broom and sweep an area clear, about 6 to 8 foot in diameter. I would then make a dirthole set. I chisel a hole in the ground and an area for a trap bed. I save grass clippings from the summer time, use this for backing and a very good eye appeal. I use enough grass to cover the drag. I would cover the trap with dry dirt. I have a picture of this set I will dig out from last year. Sounds kind of complicated but it's real not. It's alot harder with frozen ground.

beabers027-2.jpg

Hope this helps, ask questions if you have them. We love this stuff.

Leech

Ahh the calling has been a failure this year, its a big swamp and i dont know why i cant get them out of there but i think maybe because its right off a major highway and im sure they get shot at when they come out of there. Im not gonna give up calling bc we have proven it does work, but i want some way to get a lot of them. Thanks for the info, more would be greatly appreciated.

Andrew

Shae, did you see the picture.Do you need some pic's of how to hang snares or do you have other questions?

Yeah i have a question, what do you use to attract the coyotes to the area, i know where they like to come out of to the field but think i need something to direct them too the area.

Like said, a bait pile will concentrate the yotes in a particular area.You need to make a pile of beaver carcusses.

Hmm i can get those. Well my next 2 weekends are full but after that im gonna give it a try.

OR, I say we all do our FM duty and get 20 of us together and drive that swamp out for Shae. Now that would be fun. Shae, my best luck calling is always right now as the mating season is beginning and I stick to female howls or male challeneg howls, do a search on the net and you can here what they sound like. If you cant get them out of the swamp, then sit where you like to call from and have some fellas right on the edge of the swamp with shotguns, where the coyotes will feel safe because the calling is still a ways away. Anothet hing to try in addition to your trapping effort.

Leech, I wouldnt mind seeing those pics of snare set ups, I want to do it but just dont know how.