• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Incident on the Highway (july) Gravel Bar off big point 1-13

elusivecrappiecatcher

We set up shop had a few bites fished for a couple of hours then packed up and went in to get some food (fisherman’s Warf) They were great!, Awesome burgers as well. I figured we would go back out and jump over about 20 feet or so to where we saw all the fish on the aqua view. We get out there and fire up the auger and guess what. Some dude on an Indy 500 snowmobile and his buddy on a similar sled come up to us just [PoorWordUsage]!

Proceeds to tell us to have some common courtesy and NOT drill any more holes. Before I could tell him my reason for moving over a bit he lays into us. Saying if we start to drill any hole to see what happens (thinking this dude wants to get into it with us) I was mad as [PoorWordUsage] at this point. Kept asking us if we drove through any slush and because it was we were drilling holes [PoorWordUsage]! As I argue with him he continues to drop the F-bomb every other word (BTW you sound cool by swearing so much) Then my buddy who had his fase mask on and hat and goggles because of the cold 4 wheeler ride, He starts to yell at him and told him to take off his goggles when he was speaking at him. This dude proceeds to take off his hat and glasses and get in my buddy’s face. At this time I was really thinking of hitting this guy with my big dipper ice scoop. I seriously thought he was going to hit my friend.

My reason for the rant about this guy is, [PoorWordUsage] do people need to do this type of [PoorWordUsage]?! Seriously we were so dumbfounded that a person would do this about a couple of holes. Seriously is he going to do the same thing to someone else who happens to come out and pop some new holes to fish or is he going to make them use our holes. [PoorWordUsage] DUDE!

And if this guy is a member of this forum and reads this, I would like to let them know how immature they were and next time think about what you are doing. You don't own the lake, you are not the law.

Needless to say we tried to be the bigger man in the situation and just use our existing holes. It takes a lot for me to get mad but I was at my boiling point with this guy.

He was at Fisherman’s Warf for lunch, black coat and black bibs with a black hat and black sunglasses with blue/green mirror lenses.

BTW if anyone is looking for a great spot to fish with allot of fish....

Check out Highway (July) Bar on the GPS (if you have it). Great spot! I honestly never have seen so many walleyes and perch (which there were a lot of small ones but also some decent ones).

Went home with a limit of walleye and each got a monster. one 28" and one 26. Both were let go.

Oh yea I caught a 4" eelpout as well lol.

I am off my soap box now.

Wow. It's a pretty big lake, with lots of holes being drilled. I hope this guy has lots of time on his hands if he's going to yell at every single fisherman that drills a hole.

I did forget to add his reason for us not to drill holes.

He said there is TO MUCH PRESSURE ON THE ICE. And if we drill holes it was making water come out of other peoples holes.

Ok, so the 1 ton trucks that were coming out didn't do the same thing?!

I personally think the guy was just mad because the auger might scare the fish away from his spot (even though his shack was 100yards away from us). Seriously, watching the fish nothing seem to spook them including OTHERS drilling holes.

That sucks! If the dude had to use a snowmobile to come over and yell at you, you couldnt have been that close. I guy like that should watch out! The next person he does that too might knock him out! Sometimes, expecially on week-ends, everybody has to settle down and deal with the fact they dont own the lake and at some point in time they had to drill holes too. When I fish I will drill an area out if I want, but come prime time I sit down and fish quietly and hope everybody around me does the same.

I believe it was just about 1PM when this happen. I am all about getting my holes drilled early and hoping everyone else does to, but you are always going to have someone that might get out a little late, just deal with it though, some people are not as fortunate as others to get on the lake all day. Work, errands or anything can hose a day up.

man, what a jerk. he's probabaly on meth and doesn't know what the heck he's doin. sorry to hear about your trip. at least you caught some fish though.

Is flooding still a big problem up there? Some buddies and I are coming up next weekend and staying in a large sleeper. WE're hoping to be able to drill holes without too much flooding.

My buddy did get stuck in a slush pocket and there are some spots but with I didn't see any flooding and didn't have a problem with it. It is also supposed to be REAL cold coming up so I think the slush should hopefully go away as well.

Them boy's must have been Methin around. I hope they watch what they are doing as they might run into someone who is as nut's as they are and it will end badly. (Never take a knife to a gun fight) Life is too short to worry about anything so trivial. Everyone please play nice.Teach your children and grandchildren to be good outdoors people.

I heard a few people now say they must have been on meth or something. Is this a real problem on the lake or something?

Meth is a big problem in Central and Northern MN. I don't think is any more prevelant on Mille Lacs than on any other lake in the state.

The rural areas of the state and lakes are great places to cook it as the smell is quite strong and can be detected from a long way's. One of my neighbor's some years ago got busted doing it it smelled like someone had a can of starting fluid spraying all the time.

meth is a big problem everywhere. it just sounds like they were methed up by the way they were acting. i just can't imagine somebody sober acting like that.

good for you I would have probably smacked him over the head with the shovel but your better off keeping your cool.

Kudu's to you for keeping your cool. Don't know if I would have been able to.

My auger cuts a 10 inch hole. Someone's head would fit nicely in there.

For Anyone who is on the lake keep the DNR mille lacs enforcement officer number or numbers in your phone. One officer in garrison one in malmo and one in Isle.Call these officers to help any disputes.

You really kept your cool, If it was me the guy would have been knock the [PoorWordUsage] out already. Its a freaking huge lake and no one owns it. He was 100 yards away from you why the [PoorWordUsage] would he care if you are drilling 20 or 100 holes. Man things like this always mess up a good day of fishing.

What part of mille lacs is Big Point located because I have been up there a lot but have never been able to find the eyes and nice work keepin your cool

That is completely disrespectful to confront you like that for complete nonsense reasons. Get your self through the carry and conseal course for incidents like that. For scare tactics that it. Don't have to pull it, just flash it. I would give those duputies a call and just let them know what happend. It won't hurt you any. That is the right thing to do. If they confronted you like that, they will most likely confront someone else like that.

Originally Posted By: 1Buchholz1
What part of mille lacs is Big Point located because I have been up there a lot but have never been able to find the eyes and nice work keepin your cool

Big Point is on the east side of the lake, little bit south of the middle of the east side. Its just about straight west from Fisherman's Wharf resort, and a bit NW out of Appeldoorn's Resort.

I've got to say, I commend you for your behavior! I really don't have time on the ice for guys like you mentioned and I don't let it wreck my day. It happens occasionally, and more so on popular bodies of water, and even more when the bite is tough. Guys are looking for any reason to attribute to their poor fishing success and you guys were the next in line. Even though you were that far away, they seriously thought your augering was impacting there fish catching. Thats how it is.

If you ever fished Upper Red Lake when the crappie fishing was difficult, you ran into this behavior every night. Everyone was looking for someone to blame because they couldn't catch fish. Time to move on! Most folks would rather blame someone than adjust their presentation, location, and tactics to what is working to catch fish.

I highly doubt their antics were drug induced. Its a possibility although I still think it was highly unlikely. My opinion, just a couple very selfish, unsportsmanlike fisherman who were looking for any reason to blame someone for their lack of fishing success. It happens man...

I just tell them to have a nice day and move on. It really is not worth your effort, and it will aggravate you the rest of the night if you don't move on and let it go. I know it sucks to give in but that is the only way you'll be able to have a good time the rest of the night.

Sort of reminds me of a scene from the movie 'American History X' which was just on TV last night- he asked Edward Norton's character to name something he's said or done in his recent life that made his life better. Couldn't think of anything because all he ever did was cut other people down.

About 10 years ago, there was alot of snow on the ice, and I experienced people drilling holes withing 50 yards of larger houses, and water running up through the holes, causing the houses to flood for a large area around them, knee deep water. The houses would then need to be jacked up more before they frooze in. The resorts would not let anyone drill new holes even close to their houses. Although this post does not say anything about these guys being in a house near by, but approached on snowmobiles. If this was the case, they could have cleaned up the language and explained the situation.

No need for them to act like they did. I don't care if they have 5 feet of water coming up through their holes. If something upset them, they need to discuss them with you like a human being, not like somebody having roid rage. Simple as that.

Man you need to take another CCW course! Just flashing it will get you in HUGE trouble if you dont have cause. A guy cussing at you is not cause. Just thought i would let you know! Just an FYI thats a felony!!!

Yep, flashing a gun is not a smart thing to do to someone. Who's to say he doesn't have one in his belt? If he does, there is a chance he pulls his on ya and you end up on the bottom of the lake.

sounds like a great time on mille lacs this winter with the slush,poor ice and now "friendly" fisherman maybe i'll pack up the kids for a weekend of good times on the pond too bad that happened just remember there is donkeys everywhere

Why flash it? I just open carry so maybe he will think before he starts his rant towards you. Nothing illegal about that.

I think he did a great job at handling the situation. I don't think i could have handled it that well myself. No gun is needed at any lake for solving ANY problem. Great job handling that TERRIBLE sportsman or lack of a sportsman.

It is difficult to remain rational in these situations but your actions are honorable. As I have mentioned in the past to these confrontations, remain calm and gather as much information as you can. When you feel the situation at hand is escalating to a level of physical threat, excuse yourself and retreat to your vehicle or a safe area and call 911. Explain that you are being harassed and let law enforcement deal with these people.

Sometimes being the bigger man means you have to move to a different level to combat these types as you mentioned the probability of this person acting like this again. Quote,Seriously is he going to do the same thing to someone else who happens to come out and pop some new holes to fish or is he going to make them use our holes.

As for the mention of conceal and carry, one should never tip there hand and hopefully retreat will always be an option...

Good Luck...