• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Eelpout Fest-Walker Bay Ice

Can anyone weigh in on whether there will be enough ice for eelpout fest so that the "party grounds" will be in no danger of sinking?? I know it is hard to forecast ice depths a month ahead of time, but what is the current depth of ice and snow cover at the moment?? Thanks for any info!

GoggleEye

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JigginIsLife

• GoggleEye

• Tom Linderholm

• arbuck

There seems to be a good 12 inches in most of the bay. The snow has settled alot and we had around -21 last night, with below 0 temps in the forcast for the next week, so I think we will be making some good ice

Make sure you guys swing by the tent and say hi, we were invited to do the pout fry so I will be working the booth with 300#+ of pout to fry up.

Will do, I always stop by and purchase a couple meals of pout. YUM! Goes great with my ice cold coors light!

GoggleEye

Chef,

I don't have to help rep for Strikemaster at the fest... I may or may not make it down there... Depends on the fishing on Cass/Pike/Bemidji...

Beef

Originally Posted By: GoggleEye
Will do, I always stop by and purchase a couple meals of pout. YUM! Goes great with my ice cold coors light!

GoggleEye

Sounds good Goggle, I'll be wearing the red HSO Artic Armor or Hat dependent on temps.

Beef, you've got my cell. If you get to town call me.

For individual tonnage do you need to register for that or how does that work??

And do many people bring out large portables like the 6800 or sleeper? set that up and drink or whats the deal there??

Ohh and what if you catch one over night, are the weigh stations open over night??

You know, this will be my first time attending.

From my knowledge, you can fish out of just about anything.

Here is what I picked up from the eelpout website:

Weigh-in Scale Hours:

Friday, Feb. 15

12:30 p.m. - 5:30 p.m.

Saturday, Feb. 16

9:00 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.

Sunday, Feb. 17

9:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.

Tent Hours:

Friday, Feb. 15

Noon - 5:30 p.m.

Saturday, Feb. 16

9:00 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.

Sunday, Feb. 17

9:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.

Unlike other uppity winter fishing events, fish houses ARE allowed and encouraged. And don't expect us to drill your holes, we have a hard enough time finding staff to set up our tents -- buy a StrikeMaster and drill your own.

1. The Annual International Eelpout Festival officially begins at noon on Friday February 15, 2008 and concludes at 11:00 a.m. on Sunday February 17, 2008. The awards and closing ceremonies will be held at noon on Sunday February 17, 2008.

2. All participants must be registered and have in their possession an official International Eelpout Festival button, which may be purchased at the registration tent at the Walker City Park or at participating Walker area businesses. Cost of a button is $10.

3. All fish entered must come from Leech Lake. Contestants agree to submit fish sample for DNA testing. A lie-detector test will also be used and if the eelpout fails, one will be administered to the angler.

4. All State of Minnesota Game and Fish laws apply.

5. All fish must be caught legally by hook and line.

6. All fish must be registered alive at the Official Eelpout Headquarters Weigh-In Station, located in the tent at Walker City Park. Fish caught overnight should be kept in a container of water until weigh-in tent opens. Solid frozen fish will not be accepted!

7. Prizes will be awarded in the following categories:

Weight Category: Top ten weights for single pout. In the event of a tie the first fish registered wins.

Individual Tonnage: This award will be presented to the individual catching the most weight of eelpout during the festival.

Team Tonnage: All teams must submit a roster of team members by 3 p.m. on Friday, February 15, 2008. All team members must be registered at the headquarters of the International Eelpout Festival at Walker City Park and posses an official eelpout button. Teams may have a roster of not more than 20 members. Winning team will be determined by the total weight of the eelpout registered by the team. Any eelpout caught by a team member is eligible in any other category.

Most Representative Shelter: This award will be given to the team judged to have constructed the most lavish eelpout bivouac on Leech Lake.

Most inspiring young angler

Eelpout Bowl Category: Register one pout and you are entered! Thousands of dollars in prizes! All prizes awarded in this category will be selected by random drawing to be held at the Sunday awards ceremony. Each eelpout is registered earns one entry. Only one prize awarded per festival registrant in the Eelpout Bowl category.

8. Additional Rules and Regulations: Winners in all categories with the exception of the grand prize, must be present at the Sunday awards ceremony. Winners not present will be disqualified. The decision of the judges in all matters will be considered final.

9. Producers and promoters of the International Eelpout Festival are not responsible for thefts, accidents or injuries while participating in the contest.

right im not trying to be difficult but i read all that info on the page, What do you do with the pout you catch at night?? that is my main question

Ahh, it said right in there, save fish in container of water, frozen solid fish not accepted! Rule #6.

Just put them in a bucket cover them with snow and keep it in your house. That's what we do. A cover comes in handy to eliminate any smell also. If your lucky, you might need more than 1 pail!

Obviously I'll, be there. Northlander and Shiner from the Duluth Forum may be working with me.

Ill be up there for sure, i have family that lives up there and its sorta becoming a tradition now to do the polar plunge every year. This will be the first year though were actually going to enter the contest, we usually just go for eyes, so im pretty excited. I hope to meet some of you FMers out there, should be another great year!

i will be there. i will be drivin around in my 06 chevy silverado crew cab sport red. selling coffee for the walker bay coffee shop. ill be in the blue ice armor suit. stop by or i guess ill stop by, and ill have some warm coffee for everyone!!!!

iceman

I'll be there.......first time.

I'm not lookin for anyones secrets but......what do you guys use to catch pout?? Lures, bait and what kind of water depth?? The only pout I have ever caught have been by accident.

Thanks for any info!!

Arbuck

ARBuck, if you think about what you were trying to catch then, its pretty much the same thing, walleyes and pout hang in the same area near structure, deeper water, bottom transitions, btw what is your last name in know a bunch of people from NRHEG i use to wrestle for Medford.

Thanks Jiggin, that's what I was kind of thinking but didn't know if there were different or better tactics for the Pout. My last name is Buckmeier, I haven't been around the area for too long so I doubt we've met, but if your planning on hittin the poutfest, look me up.

Thanks again

Arbuck

sounds good Arbuck, what you going to be in for a house??? if you see a maroon Jimmy with a 6800 parked out front that is me come in for abeer or a shot... of knowledge about fishing???...

Jigging,

I think I talked to you last year on here about the 11th Crow Wing. I have a cabin on it, but will be on Leach for Eel Pout.

Two buddies and I are building a 8x12 panelized house, so we can haul it up in a trailer. Hoping it will go togther like we plan, and be a litter warmer than a portable. We will have a black Dodge truck, and an enclosed white trailer that says ECS on the side. If you guys see us feel free to stop in.

Jiggin, I will be in a silver Lodge pulled by a silver Dodge. Hope to see ya up there.

Arbuck

I have found that I catch more pout when I fish just like I am fishing for walleyes, but at very late hours of the night. The best time to catch pout is 12:00 a.m. till 4:00 a.m. Rattle reels tipped with a medium shiner or sucker is the best way to get em in my opinion.. Good luck poutin!

GoggleEye

I have never focused my attention on them untill now, but i cant believe that they would come get a decent shiner or even sucker, i figured a fat head at best but i will be trying it all thats for sure.

Kasota yup that was me, havent been over to 11th yet this year but would like to. i did manage to pull up a 27 1/2 inch eye outta solies bay late in the season, wow dang near crapped my pants and caught it in a paddle boat, with my girlfriend.