• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Grrrrrr.... it's not a drag race on the ice....

RANT....

I know I'm preaching to the choir for 99% of people on here.... but if you're driving on the ice SLOW DOWN. Idle speed is perfect, none of our local lakes, (with the exception of a very few) take more than a few minutes to cross even at the slowest speeds.

all that happens when you try to save a few precious fishing minutes by hauling @$$ across the lake is you crack (and risk causing the failure of) the ice, get those of us already fishing wet, and generally irritate anyone already there.

Another thing- is it entirely necessary to drive within spitting distance of other fishermen? there's a _whole lake_ to choose from, and if you're not walking you have no excuse not to swing wide, be courteous and give other fishermen their space.

OK, my rant is through, thanks for listening. - Grant

I agree, and it seems to me the bulk of the guys who are racing around are young pups....with no clue.

I agree that people really need to slow down but not all the young guys are the ones racing around, i have seen my fair share of older people flying around, people just dont understand the concept of ice yet, one trip through the ice and they will get it.

I was just going to post this in the st cloud area, Sunday was on Lake Francis and her comes a mini van doing mach 1 leaving a snow rooster tail behind, honest 3 of us seen this, drives in our location past us about 50 yards, and started doing donuts on the lake over and over, Then out of the blue they jetted in front of my buddies house about 25 yards out, stop drilled 3 holes and took off even faster then before, to the other end of the lake, and never came back to these holes they had to drill just out front of the houses we were in, Shocker to this true story, When they got out, I had my jacket on to go give these kids a good butt chewing, They were older men with gray hair,

I just sat back in the house in shock trying to understand what the heck it was they were trying to pull off by these action's lol, Sad thing was maybe only 13 inches of ice where I was at, I had my full size out, after seeing 3 others and being told there was 17, And seeing that Just like you said JigginJim the next guy on that trail, could be the victim !!

Be safe its not a dang race, there only fish and they bite just as good when you get there at idle speeds,

see this is scary. The water itself will get up in front and crush the ice and the van will go through.

I just dont understand it. I guess people just dont understand it.

Remember one thing, common sence isnt that common

Perhaps a speed limit on the Ice should become a law and enforced. Another idea would be to make this part of drivers ed training.

I'm pretty sure the speed limit is a law at 50 on ice. It should be enforce more aggressively though and lowered for cars and trucks.

Was out on Minnetonka, Brand new SUV doing about 40-50mph out on the lake with about 12"-14" of ice that I found. You Can't fix Stupid!!

I have tried to talk to people who are driving like this on the ice. I had learned from my years on Mill Laces. The resort owners will school you very quick. I think some people just do not know of the ice policy. I have tried to talk to people, but they act like I am "hunting them down". It would be nice to see a sign of sorts at the launch area about lower speeds.

Im sorry but i dont think a sign at the access would do anything, they have signs that say pick up your trash and people dont care about those i dont think many people would care about a sign when its no enforced.

Originally Posted By: eyebjim
I'm pretty sure the speed limit is a law at 50 on ice. It should be enforce more aggressively though and lowered for cars and trucks.

I believe thats for snowmobiles. 50 miles an hour on the ice with a car or truck is way to dangerous needs to be more like 25 mph max for cars and trucks

I would say 25 is still moving to fast on ice im think like 15 like parking lot speeds. I just idel across the ice im not in a hurry and i like my car and i like living

What good is a speed limit if it is only good for one type of vehicle. I would agree with the 25 or even the 15 speed limit for cars and trucks. Going faster is just dangerous for every one that will follow. Go to Mille Lacs and watch them pull a truck out from the depths from the road you just drove on hours earlier and it really makes you think. I've never thought the same about driving on the ice after that. Ice can fail at any time for many reasons most of all cracking from high speeds.

Well a snowmobile doesn't weigh as much a car or truck. Not sure how a snowmobile traveling at 50 miles an hour would effect the ice. At least not like a truck going across the Ice at 50 MPH.

But I agree something should be done to get some of these people thinking a little bit more then what they are.

A snowmobile traveling at 50 mph across the ice on 12" may not do anything but what happens when you have those idiot going 50 on 5 or 6"? Same effect I'd assume.

Was on Green Lake in Chasago about a week ago now, where a couple of guys(one in a van other had a jeep) where fishing tip ups from there vehicles, well both where boosin it up the whole time so when it came time for them to leave they thought it would be a great idea to race 3/4 of a mile back across the lake to the access. Im willing to bet both vehicles reached speeds of 60+ thats not just dangerous for going through the ice but what if someone is dragging there house without light or anything reflective?? I sure hope they gey what they deserve!!

what i don't get is why are people in such a hurry to get off of the ice. If you're going to be late somewhere it's your fault because you should have left earlier.

Originally Posted By: walleyeking19
what i don't get is why are people in such a hurry to get off of the ice. If you're going to be late somewhere it's your fault because you should have left earlier.

AMEN! this would hold true on blacktop as well as ice I'd think.... although this thought may cause a bit of a firestorm in some circles..... whistle.gif

Went out on centerville lake yesterday and got set up around 3 pm. I was about 40 yds from my portable setting up a tip up for some pike in the shallows. All of the sudden I hear crackin and water movin in my hole, i looke over and it's a car comin at me goin atleast 40-50 mph, screamed by only 10 yards away from me and i gave the vehicle the big birdy. before I know it a GMC jimmy cruised right by me too going even faster. mad.gif The two cars continued in a big circle all the way around the lake. Must've been young high schoolers with nothing better to do after school. Now yes, there's [PoorWordUsage] near 2 feet of ice on the lake but they don't need to spook the fish, it's simply common courtesy!