Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
UGUIDE

Johhny P Monster Pike Tactics Work!

11 posts in this topic

JP, thanks for the tips on how to setup you pike rigs. I got 1 42" Jackfish on a tip up and that is my all-time personal best. We fished URL for two days and managed to get a couple monstor slabs too. One keeper walleye and my wife missed another pike on a tipup. We're off to LOW tomorrow. JP, thanks again for the setup tactics on rigging for big Northern Pike.

Here are some pictures of our fish and setup.

DCP_1026.jpg

DCP_1030.jpg

DCP_1029.jpg

...oh ya tip #12:

DON'T STICK YOUR FINGER IN THEIR MOUTH! \:ocry.gif

Dang that hurts. Get some some disinfectant on that ASAP those pike will give you devils fever and a nasty scar.

Nice fish dude.

Those URL must like the taste of human flesh. Kinda of reminds me of Hanson's hand last winter after helping me with a chucky 38' pike.

Congrats on the nice pike!

Very nice pike. Looks like Jonny gave you the needed tips for sure.

Nice pics. Sorry about the thumb hope you guys have good luck up at LOW!

Originally Posted By: Borch
Kinda of reminds me of Hanson's hand last winter after helping me with a chucky 38" pike.

I think we're even now man. I'll step up to the plate next time however.

Note to self... keep hands and fingers out of toothy critter's mouths & gills. grin.gif

BTW UGUIDE... big Congrats on the Personal Best! I've been fishing URL fairly consistantly for plenty of years now and all my big pike stories ended up with a quick snip or snap. \:\(

Well suit up with some heavy gear and fish for them bad boys for a little while during the midday blahs. You can crappie fish with one pole and still watch a tip up all in one spot. Thats one of the great things about Red.

UGUIDE

Congrats on the nice pike. We were in one of jonny and kelly's shack about 100 yards south from you and saw the you guys pull him in. he wouldnt have had a couple red hooks in his mouth??? My twin boys were very impressed. We had another great trip this last time even without a a Monster Pike. Im going again at the end of the month to try it again.

Nice lookin' pike. The battle wound says it all. The set-up is pretty "pimp" too. Love the track system!

JP, thanks for tip #2. I had to go in with the hand to try and save the fish, he had swallowed the hook. It was hilarious to try and have my little 5'0 wife try to hold it's jaws open. She did good and did a great job on keeping the line on the tipup spooled. We were seconds a away from losing the fish a couple times but she managed to keep it all together. It was a total team effort and we just tired him out. I almost could not get him up the hole but he finally nosed up. A couple pics and he was flopping his tail to get back in the pond. The wife also suggested putting a leader on the 8# monofilement which was a good idea.

We were taking turns on who got to handle the tip up and she got the next one the next day but the fish got off after about 5 secs.

For what it is worth, both bites came in the last hour of light

With the current light condition under the ice this year the pike are taking full advantage of having better eyesight then the chow at the dawn/dusk hours.