• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Report 1.13.08

croixeyes

Got a chance to spend some time out on the Croix this afternoon.Started out in 32fow away from the usual spots that get pretty crowded in the Bayport area.Had alot of fish coming in but no takers .Switched it up around 4pm and moved up on a break in 16fow and started jigging for eyes.Had a flurry of activity from 4:30 to 5:30 then things slowed down.Once again I had four eyes hit the surface,but only one was legal a nice 18incher.Two of the fish came on slip bobber tipped with a fathead,two on jiggin raps.Next time out Im just gonna jig,when primetime hits,its to much fuss to worry about two rigs and the bigger fish always seem to come on the jiggin raps.Did anyone get into the crappie today?

Was out on Sat. and got skunk. I was about 200 yards south from shack town fishing in 34 feet and then moved closer to 15 feet in the evening. Had lots of lookers but no takers not even a small white bass. Man, I hate it when I get skunked like that. Oh well, guess that's how fishing goes. \:\/

Was out Sunday from 10:00 till around 2:30 around the high line area near Bayport. There were a lot of lookers and a few takers. Caught about 8 crappies, most were small, 2 were good size. Was using Swedish pimples tipped with crappie minnow heads. Will probably get out later this week and try for some walleyes and sauger in front of the Bayport beach area.

Can anyone tell me if you can safely take a snowmobile north of bayport and cross over to the wisconsin side when you reach the power plant? I want to fish the big point where the power lines cross and there is that private beach right there. It drops off from 10 feet on that point to around 40 feet or so really fast and I have caught some huge walleyes there in the summer and fall. Thanks for any help.

GoggleEye

I went out saturday and sunday caught 14 each day i was out in 37ft of water. Using a green demon with a crappie minnow about 6ft off the bottom.

GoggleEye, yeah you can take a snowmobbile almost all the way to the Stillwater bridge, what is past that i dont know. I have a shack up at the high lines and i am sitting on 15inches of ice. there is a road out of Bayport that will take you all the way up to the hight lines. When you thinking about going out?

GoggleEye...The place you are asking about is the highline point.Youll have plenty of company up there,but most folks just go for the crappie that suspend out deep.Easy to get there as BFD2100 has mentioned.Not too many people work that point for walleye so you may have that place to yourself.Good report guys,I talked to a buddy of mine and he also stated that his crappie bite is coming around 6ft or so off bottom.It would seem that the aggresive fish are willing to come up for the meal.A word of caution to those who havent ventured up to the highline but may want to.Stay on the wisconsin side of the river when going.Not hugging the shoreline cause there are some springs that run down the hills,but rather closer to the middle.There should be some well defined ruts from traffic going up that way and those are from the folks who fish it.If you venture past that area and continue north please dont go on the MN side,that side has the most current and Ice thickness can vary greatly.If you do decide to try spots north you may want to drill or spud as you go....Good Luck Out There............

Croixeyes, i was just woundering where on the river you fish cause you seem to know alot about the whole river? And maybe some day it would be nice to put a face to the name if you are ever up at the high lines let me know. GOD LUCK EVERYONE!!!!!!!

Carefull driving around highline point, make sure you stop well short of it and check the ice. Was up there last year and there was 15" where the truck was parked walked about 50 ft. closer to the point and only found about 6". That was a little scary!! If there isn't tracks check first. I take my snowmobile out from there on.

BFD2100 and Croixeyes, thanks for your help and great info. I want to try fishing highline point, but also don't want to die or sink my snowmobile, so your help is much appreciated. I may be out there this weekend on saturday or sunday. If you see a Ski-doo MXZ 500 (Black and yellow) with a two man frabill (black with yellow writing) suitcase style shanty next to it, that is probably me. Stop by and say hi if you want and see how I am doing. If I am doing something right and getting into them, I will have no problem sharing my spot. Good luck.

GoggleEye

GoggleEyes, i will be out on saturday and sunday up at the high lines. I have the orange shack you cant miss it stop on by and say hi. if the is a camo four wheeler parked there it will be me but if im not there good luck!!

Hey guys...Ill be out that way Sunday for sure and maybe Saturday afternoon.Ill look for you guys to put a face to the moniker.Gonna be ffffffrigid but Ive had some good fishing on the Croix during those kinds of conditions.

Sounds like the reports are improving. It seems every year that once January comes the crappies bite better. Good luck.

Turk

Question for any of you, I am wondering if they are driving half ton pickup truck from the MN side to the Wisconsin side yet. Planning on going out this afternoon after work. Any info will be greatly apreciated. thanks see you out there.

Originally Posted By: AsianPro
Question for any of you, I am wondering if they are driving half ton pickup truck from the MN side to the Wisconsin side yet. Planning on going out this afternoon after work. Any info will be greatly apreciated. thanks see you out there.

Yep, they are driving. I was there on sat and saw 4-5 trucks that came from the MN side. I'm thinking about heading out there this weekend.

I was out on the St Croix by Prescott last Sunday morning and caught nothing. Punched a lot of holes and marked a lot of shad (I think that is what it was). I moved upriver for the afternoon and went out at Bayport on the MN side. Caught 1 small Walleye, my very first thru the ice, and 2 critters that I think are called mud puppies (see picture). I was please to have finally caught a Walleye but not so please with the other critters.

?action=view&current=100_1754.jpg I hope I got the picture link correct.

Here is the corrected image link. My next step will be learning how to size the picture correctly.

100_1754.jpg

Ah hah, mudpuppies!! Reminds me of fishing up at Little Bay De Noc! Everytime I go there I catch a couple of those guys. One trip, all my buddy caught all weekend was one mudpuppy....boy did he never hear the end of that!!!

I don't mind finding salamanders in the garden, but on the end of my fishing line?!?! No thanks. Haven't got one myself yet, fear of doing so is probably why I keep my bait well off the bottom when fishing the river. Freaky stuff in them waters. LB

Cool Now all you need is some beef broth potatoes, onions and carrots! I suppose you could make a kabob and grill em too!

Originally Posted By: croixeyes
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMm.....Tastes like chicken,or Mooneye I cant remember confused.gif

Neither sheephead!

You should see the ones in Japan, they get about five or six feet long. Prehistoric water dogs

New to the area. Went out on the St Crouix for the first time today. Drove out off of Sommers st in North Hudson and fished north where the big group of shaks are. Started in 28 feet of water and didnt catch a thing. Moved to 38 feet of water, only caught one average sized crappie. Marked tons of fish on my Vexilar but couldnt get them to bite anything I put infront of them. Anyone got any secrets to get these fish to bite? Also where is the best place on the river to fish for walleyes? Any information would be appreciated. I'll be out there again Wed afternoon and will report how I do.

Any reports coming out of Bayport or highline point area??? I still have not made it out there yet, but I will soon.

GoggleEye

GoggleEye, pretty much all the posts are regarding the Bayport to Hiline area. 1/13, 1/20, 1/23, 1/25 and 1/28 are all from that area.

good luck, LB