• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Twins

bassNspear

i agree. He was a huge part of the team in that way, but at the plate, i would think different.

But i do agree with you that he was a huge face towards the twins and the fans.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bassNspear

• Dahitman44

• Scott K

• Fishing_High

There is one thing that does not get mentioned nearly enough. This whole thing is OUR fault. As in the Twins front office.

We had a lot of chances to trade for hitters and were unwilling to part with our "prospect" pitchers. Now we have zippo in the minors that are MLB-ready hitters. We still have five of the top 20 minor league pitching prospects, but zero hitters in the 1top 100.

Yikes.

The other MAJOR mistake we made was NOT signing these guys up when we had a chance. We could have signed Santana for a four year extention for about $13 million a year. What a deal that would have looked like. Sam thing with Hunter. I think it was like five years and $50 Million.

Whoops.

I remember what the Indians bid with Thome and Baerga back in the day -- those were good moves that kept their players longer.

Will we be smart enough to do it with Morneau and Mauer and Cuddy? hard to say, I hope we can learn from our mistakes.

Originally Posted By: 4wanderingeyes
If the Twins go into the new stadium with a good team,and even a playoff year before opening the new stadium, Pohlad could see a sell out crowd all season long! Hopefully he sees it the same way I do.

The new stadium will be sold out for several years, even with a bad team on the field. Pohlad knows that. Say what you will about him, but he's no dummy.

More then likely you are right about selling out, but I wont go sit in the staduim, when its 35 degrees and windy, or 100 degrees and sunny, to watch a poor team play! I dont know I would go to in them conditions to watch a good team play!

Dahitman,

You are 100% right. TR was no proactive at all and it looks like it will cost us the 2 of the best players we've had here for a while.

Now they go and sign Morneau to a one-year gig, hoping that salaries will go down or that he will flop one year and be worth less.

How many times does this have to happen with them. LEARN FROM YOUR MISTAKES YOU CHEAP SUCKERS!!

willy --

Just saw that on the Strib --

That makes me angry. They really need to lock these guys up. What is the point if you don;t get these guys while they are still a little on the cheap side

As far as the Stadium goes --

I live a long way out and I don;t know how often i will chance the weather and has anyone thought about the weather here in April May and September?

Especially April.

Love the stadium but we needed the roof.

BTW -- I thought we needed the Styadium so we COULD keep our big players.

Fat chance.

Thanks a lot, Smilin' Carl got us again.

Originally Posted By: Dahitman44
As far as the Stadium goes --

I live a long way out and I don;t know how often i will chance the weather and has anyone thought about the weather here in April May and September?

Especially April.

Love the stadium but we needed the roof.

It's you guys that live outstate that should have pushed for a statewide tax to pay for that roof. Those of us that live close will not be affected as much. If we get rained out, we go home and come back tomorrow. We don't have to worry about paying for the extra hotels and restaurants while in town and NOT seeing a game.

I agree a retractable roof would have been the best way to go, but you people outside the Metro kept your yaps shut when financing was discussed, when in my opinion you should have been the ones crying out to help pay for it.

I 'd like to cry "Foul" to DonBo. I think the outstate voices were not silent. They just were not listened to. All issues in this state are resolved with weighted opinions. The metro voice carries much more impact than the outstate opinions. Politics is all about satisfying the majority of the people. The majority of the people live in the cities. Now, on this issue, I won't say this is totally unfair. Think about it. The metro fan may buy two tickets a month. Those of us from outstate, especially from a fair distance, may be only able to afford to go once or twice a year. I usually go to one game a year and it is usually early if my sister is hosting Easter at their house. I don't expect the Twins, the govenment, or even my sister to alter their plans for a devoted fan that is a causual customer. I don't understand the thinking behind your comment that you agree the stadium should have been built with a retractable roof, but the responsibility of the failure of that happening was the fault of the outstaters. Apparently, your silence WAS heard.

Hitman, you're only looking at one side of the fence. Remember Rich Becker, Stahoviak? Pat Mears? Or perhaps the name Carl Pavano rings a bell?

It's always nice to criticize from the sidelines & with perfect hindsight - but let's remember that there are plenty of players anyone could cite as example of "Gee, why'd that stupid team throw away all this money on a guy who turned out to be a stiff?"

That said, I think the Twins should have signed Hunter & Santana, two proven commodities, last season. But you seem to have it all figured out...in retrospect. And it's simply not that easy. I, too, think someone needs to explain to ole Carl that he really CAN'T take it with him, but bashing every dumb move & ignorning all the other dumb ones is the reason I don't listen to sports talk radio. \:\)

Max --

Good point on those stiffs but did we ever think they would be good? I hope not.

There was no doubt that theycould have singed Hunter and Santana a couple of years ago and even before last season. That was a mistake to wait.

Just my thoughts.

Hope we don't blow it Morneau

Cicada --

No question about it. We wanted a retractable roof stadium in outstate MN.

Nobody listens to us out here. I can tell you that the cities gets a tone of our money when we come down to visit.

It is tough to get down there a lot, but I know we help out the cities economy. Plus I am a HUGE MN sports fan, but the Twins are my pride and joy. I would be very upset if I miss a game do to poor weather, but I guess we will have to live with it now.

They called it "Structural Engineering problem" when the public wanted a retractabel roof. "We don't have enough land to support a retractable roof". Well, first off they should have listend to the public and what they wanted. Then designed the stadium and see where it could be built. They buy the land then plan. Stupid.

It wasn't any engineering or space problems that cost us a retractable roof, it was the extra $100,000,000 it was going to cost. With mostly just Hennepin County footing the bill, that just wasn't going to happen. That is why I stated earlier that people in outstate Minnesota should have gotten involved and asked for a statewide tax. Don't even start with "We, tried, nobody listened to us." We listened loud and clear, what we heard was "Don't expect us to pay for YOUR facility."

I can start with nobody listened because I did go to bat (sorry, bad pun) on this issue. I may have been in the minority in the outstate but for you to generalize and blame this on just outstaters is unfair. If you act this way at home, no wonder she says "go fish" \:\/

Originally Posted By: Cicada
I can start with nobody listened because I did go to bat (sorry, bad pun) on this issue. I may have been in the minority in the outstate but for you to generalize and blame this on just outstaters is unfair. If you act this way at home, no wonder she says "go fish" \:\/

Now, now, be nice. I'm not holding you personally responsible. blush.gif

I'm glad there is no roof. Isn't that the reason we/you don't like the dome? I remember the Met, no roof and now global warming, heck it's gonna be 60 in April and October. Well April and Sept, doubt if we will see October bb for awhile.

Though it would be nice to have a roof in our April weather in Minnesota, I think a roof would take away from that authentic ballpark atmosphere. I'm an oldtime type of guy when it comes to baseball, and I don't mind the fact that they are building it without a roof.

Yeah great for you guys --

No it was meant to be outside, but we do live in MN and you just can't plan things without thinking about the weather.

Hockey was meant to be played outside also, but do to weather changes they put it in side in a controled envirorment!

Them not going with a roof is just plain stupid......now we will have rainouts/snowouts and who wants to sit in 40 degree weather to watch baseball when your team might not be so hot!! I can't understand it myself.....so lets say this would coast 125mil over ten years that is 12.5 mill.....that is less than Johan is asking for a year!!!

Did they build it so it can be added later? That would have made sense, but I suppose they did not do it that way.

Personally I'm really psyched about outdoor baseball again. I'll probably avoid the April games, but rainouts are fine by me. The play-hookie-from-work-and-cold-beer-sunny-day-afternoon games and light-breeze-and-cold-beer-evening games will more than make up for them \:\)

You could have had those great days at the ball park and still had a retractable roof for the not so great days!!

Nope, there is no provision for a roof being added latter. The problem I have is in buying tickets in advance. I doubt that I'll buy any early or late season games in advance and none in August. In the summer I like being able to take the familly to a cool Metrodome and escape the heat and humidity for awhile. I don't fancy bugs and muggy 95 degree weather to go watch baseball, might as well be fishing. I'm not renewing my season ticket package.

Dink, I'm right with you on that one. I'm sure some of the players aren't happy either, especially the pitures. It has been cold and snowed in Sep. I don't think there are gonna be many fans there then.

put a roof on it then so when it does get bad, you can close it. Everyone else is, why cant we

My understanding is where they are building it, it wouldnt have worked out for a retractable roof. There wasnt enough room.

I bet by 2015 they will be whinning they want a new stadium with a roof!

Most retractable roofs are not air tight, are they? The roof would only keep you dry, not warm. You might say that at the very least the game would go on. But the very least is what you would get. I've been to few Redhawks games in less than perfect weather. It's still fun if you're prepared. But even as short a trip as DL to Fargo, I don't go if it may be rained out.