• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Twins

bassNspear

What are the twins going to do here in the off season with the pitching staff and infield, along with center field?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bassNspear

• Dahitman44

• Scott K

• Willy

I wish I knew. I hope they have some ideas. Can't wait to see Francico Liriano pitch again. Slowey too. I think the pitching will be good again, but their problems are the offenisve ones. They need more power. Also, I would love to see Mauer moved to third base or the OF. I don't want to see his career cut short just because he wants to catch. Hey, I would like to have my old job back, but the people who hand out the cash want me to do something else. Whaddaya do?

The word on Santana is that there is no word. Gardenhire was on the channel 9 news tonight and he made it pretty clear that they were nowhere near a trade with him.

Aaron

so what your telling me is that there just going to let him play this year, and then get nothing for him after the year is over?

Who knows. There's still plenty of time left to make a trade. If he plays all year and walks at the end of the year, the Twins would get two high draft picks as compensation. So it's not like they would get nothing in return if he leaves as a free agent. But let's hope that doesn't happen. Two draft picks sure isn't even close to enough for someone of Johan's status. I do like the fact that the Twins aren't just taking an offer because it's on the table. They need to make sure they do what they can to get the most value in return.

Aaron

I guess there going to have some information tonight or in the next few nights on the news. I just want some answers ya know

I wish Pohlad would realize the people of the state have opened their wallets to pay for a stadium, for which he will reap the rewards of, and he needs to repay the favor by opening his wallet and resign the big names we have left. He didn't do it with Hunter and now he's gone. We lose what we have left and the Twins will lose alot of fans

i was watching the news last night, and its sounds like there still trying to trade him. Hopefully we get something for him and not let it go all year and get nothing

I hope the Twins dig deep, sign him to a 6 year contract. Then build on what we have. If the Twins go into the new stadium with a good team,and even a playoff year before opening the new stadium, Pohlad could see a sell out crowd all season long! Hopefully he sees it the same way I do.

Originally Posted By: AWH
If he plays all year and walks at the end of the year, the Twins would get two high draft picks as compensation. So it's not like they would get nothing in return if he leaves as a free agent.

That is the worst case senario. We need to either trade for value now, or resign him. By letting him walk at the end of the year, they would likely not be top picks, since he will be going to a team with lots of money. Probably the same few that have been rumored in on trades. They will get their 1st rounder + a sandwich pick. Say Boston wins the WS again, then signs Santana. They get Boston's pick, which would be the LAST one in the 1st round. Now if someone like the Pirates sign him, then we'll probably end up with a top 3 pick.

Watching Gardy the other night on the news they asked him how he thinks a player like Santana will perform with with all the rumors flying around. Gardy said he EXPECTS him to play like the best pitcher in baseball and thinks he will be able to do that. It really sounds like he'll be starting opening day thats just my hunch. I don't think he'll go anywhere till the trade deadline and if were winning or in a playoff race I think they'll do there best to resign him.

i agree with him. Santana is going to want to have a monster year, and throw it back towards the twins.

What is it that is wants for a contract again 160 mill?

The rumors floating around say he wants a 7 year deal, somewhere around 140-150 mill. I don't know that he will get 7 though, that is an awful long contract to give to a pitcher. Most long term deals with pitchers in the past have not benefitted the team that gives them.

I will guess he get a 6 year 125 million dollar deal from someone if he is traded. If he waits it out till free agency, that number likely will go up to who knows how high.

All this could have been avoided if the moron over in SanFran(Sabean) wouldn't have given a 7 year deal to Zito. Before that deal, 7 years was unheard of for a pitcher.

Yea and Zito didn't live up to potential either. Santana already turned down 4/80 million, he wants a 6 or 7 year deal. Hopefully Liriano comes back to form I think he was pitching better then Santana at the time of his injury and Santana won the Cy Young that year.

I really quite honestly could care less about draft picks as compensation for him, baseballs a sport where the draft rarely pans out, alot of the guys that make it to the "show" are 5,6,7th round picks, its not like football or hockey or basketball where the 1st rounders are usually superstars.

I hear that the Twins Caravan groups carry two promo videos with them: One with Cy-Tana and one without, just in case he's traded during their tours of the state.

Originally Posted By: zamboni
I really quite honestly could care less about draft picks as compensation for him, baseballs a sport where the draft rarely pans out, alot of the guys that make it to the "show" are 5,6,7th round picks, its not like football or hockey or basketball where the 1st rounders are usually superstars.

I agree completely and I also agree with the above comment that getting draft picks is the worst case scenario. I was just pointing out that two draft picks is more than nothing. (Not that it's a GOOD thing).

I would still like to think that the Twins could sign him. The most dominant pitcher in baseball the past 4 years and a guy that has proven to be durable as well. If the rumors I've heard are true, the Twins and Santana aren't that far away on money, but that it's the years where they are far apart. IF that's true and the Twins let him get away because of that, they're making a big mistake.

I sure wish all sports were like the NFL with their contracts. No such thing as a guarnateed deal, which is how it should be. That way when you sign a guy to a long term deal, you really aren't risking much. If he doesn't live up to potential, cut him loose and you're not out the money. I have to believe it keeps guys more motivated as well when they know that contract isn't guaranteed to them.

Aaron

The Draft picks would be better than nothing, but in baseball more than any other sport, it is a BIG crapshoot. You just never know what you are going to get.

I think they should try to get something worked out with either Boston or the Mets. I would hate to see Santana in Yankee pinstripes.

Originally Posted By: Dahitman44

I think they should try to get something worked out with either Boston or the Mets. I would hate to see Santana in Yankee pinstripes.

CANT AGREE MORE

The sad thing is, we are the ONLY team in MLB that would even think of not resigning a guy like Johan. Every other team would have him locked up no problem. I can see them not wanting to trade for a guy like him or not bidding a ton for him in free agency, but to let a pitcher of his caliber that came up through your system and has played the way he has for you is [PoorWordUsage] IMO. With what he has made in the past and the way he has performed, he deserves to be compensated by the Twins.

There not that far off on money he wants something like 7/150 millions, he turned down 4/80 million so there not that far off on money. Seven years is a lot, but he's been the best pitcher for the last four. Its just like the Hunter situation he wanted a 5 year deal not a 3 so he left. I think they gotta do what they gotta do to lock down Santana. You guys are right I can't cheer for him if he's playing for the Yankees because I hate them.

"he wants something like 7/150 millions, he turned down 4/80 million so there not that far off"

With counting my toes and fingers, that is roughly 70 million dollars, it seems like they are off alot to me!

In baseball it is gaurenteed money, so if he injures himself and cant throw another pitch in the first year of his contract, we still need to pay him for the rest of his contract!

Sorry I should have been more specific I'm saying there not that far off on the money he wants PER year. They let hunter go because they were afraid of the years. I just think you need to take that chance with a star left handed pitcher who is proven durable and the best in the game for 4 years you can't replace that. I think they should try to were out some sort of 6 year deal.

He might want 7, but it seems as though any team that is willing to trade for him will only give him 5, maybe 6. I would like the think the Twins could at least pony up and give him an extention of 5 years at 20-22per, making his contract going into next season: 6 years/113-123 million.

That is a monster contract. Don't know if he would accept of not, but if not, then at least we know he doesn't want to play here or that he is all about the $$. Then it will be easier for Twins fans to accept a trade, or at least it will be for me.

Fishing High,I know how you were looking at it. I do agree with you.

Willy, I hope the Twins can work a deal for him, I wouldnt go 7 years, I would give him 4-5, then have an option to sign for longer. Offer him 22mil a year for 5 years, then option for 2 more. Sounds good to me, they have my approval! Now get it done!

we need some names back on to our team getting rid of hunter made me want to puke he has been the most consistant player we have had, and the biggest name, now talking trades with johan, if we end up with no one and a new stadium im gonna be ticked

let me ask you this, getting rid of hunter, we lost a glove in the field, and he had a good year at the plate last year. look at his hitting stats in the past 5 years, was his glove, really worth the money?

Hunter got over paid. It was his image as the face of this team leaving that hurt more than anything.