Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mfishing

W. Battle ice conditions?

7 posts in this topic

Just curious if the ice improved with the warmer weather a week ago or so. Fished W Battle over New Years weekend and the ice was spotty with slush. I didn't feel very safe driving the ATV just anywhere. Planning to head that way around the end of the month so wondering what to expect.

I would say the lake is good to go for ATV/snowmobile traffic. This weekend I saw a few trucks ventured out to the mid-lake structure, but there's no way I would do that..

There are some major slush fields that will stop you dead in your tracks with an ATV and may get good and stuck....know from experience while taking a little cruise. crazy.gif The big freeze in the forecast should take care of the slush and hopefully make some good ice. The ice now is pretty inconsistent.

Thanks for the info. Last time up the slush and spotty ice really dictated where we could fish. Hoping to be able move around a bit more this time around.

What I can tell you is if you go from Shore line cafe and the publix landing and made a triangle out to the second group of fish houses out there the ice is anywhere from 15 inches to 18 inches I have been out there the last couple of weeks the weekend before last there was slush this weekend I didn't see any and the snow is starting to settle down a bit from that warm up fishing has been pretty slow managing a couple crappies nothing to wright home about and I haven't gotten any eyes yet. Hope this helps ya.

Thanks for the info and the report. The forecast sounds downright nasty so hopefully that firm things up a bit more. If I have any luck I'll report back. Thanks again.

Is this "West Battle" you're referring to? I heard the slab crappies are biting there. Someone forwarded me a newspaper article. My IA buddies and I are headed up in a few weeks. We'll have to check it out. Glad to hear we can drive out.

Don't just go diving out there you might find yourself in trouble pay attetion to were people allready are driving!!! There is a presure ridge that is there as of last week end it wasn't a concern but with this cold coming in I have no idea what its going to do with it and if you look at my report its just a small erea that I know is safe I have heard of some very Sketchy conditions past that triangle that I was refering to. So be carefull!!!!!!!!