Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tipup101

Keepers!

10 posts in this topic

Whats a keeper sunfish and crappie to you.. I caught a pile of 8-9 inch sunnies in town. My buddies said he would keep that size any day. How about you guys? Would you have kept that size. Plus I was told i was nuts cause I will nit keep a crappie under 10 inches. 8-9 crappies a keeper size to you guys? Cause if I'm to fussy I might lower my keeper size a little and take a few home now and agian.

An 8-9 inch gill is great eating in my book. I typically let smaller ones than that go so they hopefully can attain that 8-9 inch size. And for crappies, I usually set 10 inches as a minimum size to keep.

Same here...8 inch sunfish, 10 inch crappie

7.75-9.25" are nice gills. Anything over and under I would release.

Crappies 10"-12" are very nice eaters. Again, anything longer and shorter I prefer to release to keep some fish in the system.

Larger fish than mentioned above take nice pictures, but aren't quite as tasty. I kept a 13" crappie this past fall from Lake City and the Y bones didn't even cook out of the fish. Plus it didn't taste nearly as well as those 11"ers.

Yea I made the river crappie mistake. I kept a couple 14inchers they tasted like mud and where tough. Well I might have to keep a few sunnies next time I head out. Thanks boys.

The only 14 inchers I have ever kept came from Red Lake, tasted great! And two more on the wall to remind me of what it WAS like when the crappie fishing was good.

How big were the one's you mounted? My budy caught a nice 15 incher last weekend on Red and he was debating on having it mounted. Just curious.

Both are right at about 14". Nothing to stand outish, but just nice fish.

"Whats a keeper sunfish and crappie to you" I think it depends on where you are fishing. Some bodys of water have an over abundence of under sized fish in that case whatever size you want to clean is OK. Myself I've cleaned 7 1/2" sunfish and 9" crappies. I'd much rather see the bigger fish returned. I very rarely keep anything.

Sunnies 9.5 to 10.5.

Crappies 10 to 12

But I live by a rule on sunnies. First keeper "to me" goes back. Cause that will more often than not be the only one I catch. I'm not much of a sunnie guy I would much rather have a bucket of perch. Thats why i can't wait till last ice up north I go perchin.